Author Topic: Trade rumor: Kevin Garnett for Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum, Chris Mihm+draft picks!  (Read 3671 times)

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
IMO, with the Lakers current roster, I don't see them winning a championship.  Basically, anybody outside of LA viewed the Lakers as big time over achievers this year.  But NIK, why is it that KG is washed up at 30, but you turn around and say that Kobe won't be exiting his prime at 33 (with your Jordan championship reference)?  KG desperately needs a change of scenery.  See Vince Carter - he wasn't washed up in Toronto, he was fuckin miserable there.  If KG goes to a different market he'll continue to be an elite player for a few more years.  I do see what you're saying about the Lakers not making quick fixes, and I agree with that.  But if they could lock up KG for 3 years - you'd have 2 legit suparstars.  To me, that would instantly elevate the Lakers to the upper tier of the league - much more of a threat to win it all over the next few seasons than the current team.  Sure, Bynum might be great, but he might not amount to shit.  Kwame was supposed to be the shit, Telfair was supposed to be the shit, Gerald Green is supposed to be the shit.  Now those guys could still amount to something, but it could take several years.  Bynum played in one playoff game for all of what 2 minutes?  Phil obviously thinks he's got quite a while to develop. 

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, so I'd take KG and try to make something happen.
Do you even know what that saying means? Because that quote defends the keeping of Odom.

Yes dipshit, I do.  It means taking the sure bet over a speculative bet.  You know what you get with KG.  A prospect is unproven.  Now go read a book.
http://humanities.byu.edu/elc/student/idioms/proverbs/bird_in_the_hand.html
http://www.bartleby.com/59/3/birdinthehan.html
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/64950.html

Uhh... Try again. :P

Taken from your link:

Meaning

It's better to have a small actual advantage than the chance of a greater one.

In this situation, KG is the actual advantage.  Prospects/projects are the chance.   :D
KG is the small actual advantage and Odom is the greater one?

jeromechickenbone

IMO, with the Lakers current roster, I don't see them winning a championship. Basically, anybody outside of LA viewed the Lakers as big time over achievers this year. But NIK, why is it that KG is washed up at 30, but you turn around and say that Kobe won't be exiting his prime at 33 (with your Jordan championship reference)? KG desperately needs a change of scenery. See Vince Carter - he wasn't washed up in Toronto, he was fuckin miserable there. If KG goes to a different market he'll continue to be an elite player for a few more years. I do see what you're saying about the Lakers not making quick fixes, and I agree with that. But if they could lock up KG for 3 years - you'd have 2 legit suparstars. To me, that would instantly elevate the Lakers to the upper tier of the league - much more of a threat to win it all over the next few seasons than the current team. Sure, Bynum might be great, but he might not amount to shit. Kwame was supposed to be the shit, Telfair was supposed to be the shit, Gerald Green is supposed to be the shit. Now those guys could still amount to something, but it could take several years. Bynum played in one playoff game for all of what 2 minutes? Phil obviously thinks he's got quite a while to develop.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, so I'd take KG and try to make something happen.
Do you even know what that saying means? Because that quote defends the keeping of Odom.

Yes dipshit, I do. It means taking the sure bet over a speculative bet. You know what you get with KG. A prospect is unproven. Now go read a book.

Taken from your link:

Meaning

In this situation, KG is the actual advantage. Prospects/projects are the chance. :D

I'll keep this simple...

Kobe + KG = Instant contender, Upper echelon team. 

Kobe + Odom + Brown + Bynum = POSSIBLE Contender in SEVERAL years.  This roster is NOT moving into elite status unless teams like Detroit, SA, Dallas, Mia, Phx disband.

Kobe and Odom are obviously proven, but Brown and Bynum?  They could be all-star caliber in a few years, who knows?  You know what you're getting with KG, hence the actual advantage vs. the possible advantage in the future.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
IMO, with the Lakers current roster, I don't see them winning a championship. Basically, anybody outside of LA viewed the Lakers as big time over achievers this year. But NIK, why is it that KG is washed up at 30, but you turn around and say that Kobe won't be exiting his prime at 33 (with your Jordan championship reference)? KG desperately needs a change of scenery. See Vince Carter - he wasn't washed up in Toronto, he was fuckin miserable there. If KG goes to a different market he'll continue to be an elite player for a few more years. I do see what you're saying about the Lakers not making quick fixes, and I agree with that. But if they could lock up KG for 3 years - you'd have 2 legit suparstars. To me, that would instantly elevate the Lakers to the upper tier of the league - much more of a threat to win it all over the next few seasons than the current team. Sure, Bynum might be great, but he might not amount to shit. Kwame was supposed to be the shit, Telfair was supposed to be the shit, Gerald Green is supposed to be the shit. Now those guys could still amount to something, but it could take several years. Bynum played in one playoff game for all of what 2 minutes? Phil obviously thinks he's got quite a while to develop.

Yes dipshit, I do. It means taking the sure bet over a speculative bet. You know what you get with KG. A prospect is unproven. Now go read a book.

Taken from your link:

Meaning

In this situation, KG is the actual advantage. Prospects/projects are the chance. :D

I'll keep this simple...

Kobe + Odom + Brown + Bynum = POSSIBLE Contender in SEVERAL years.  This roster is NOT moving into elite status unless teams like Detroit, SA, Dallas, Mia, Phx disband.

Kobe and Odom are obviously proven, but Brown and Bynum?  They could be all-star caliber in a few years, who knows?  You know what you're getting with KG, hence the actual advantage vs. the possible advantage in the future.
I know that. But KG is a great advantage and Odom is a small one. Hence why the quote doesn't work in your argument (a statement just as to be 1% false for the enitre thing to be incorrect).

jeromechickenbone

Taken from your link:

Meaning

I'll keep this simple...

Kobe + Odom + Brown + Bynum = POSSIBLE Contender in SEVERAL years. This roster is NOT moving into elite status unless teams like Detroit, SA, Dallas, Mia, Phx disband.

Kobe and Odom are obviously proven, but Brown and Bynum? They could be all-star caliber in a few years, who knows? You know what you're getting with KG, hence the actual advantage vs. the possible advantage in the future.
I know that. But KG is a great advantage and Odom is a small one. Hence why the quote doesn't work in your argument (a statement just as to be 1% false for the enitre thing to be incorrect).

Christ. :grumpy:

The cliche absolutely works in the context in which NIK and I were discussing.

My statement was talking to NIK when he stated that with Bynum and Brown, there was potential to build a future dynasty.  So when I used the cliche, it was in response to that statement.  With Kobe & KG, you have proven ELITE NBA talent.  You KNOW you're an instant contender.  There is the possibility that Bynum and Brown could become all-stars.  That may indeed be a title contender, but there is no guarantee that those two players will develop. 

If you say you understand that, (which you did say in your last post) than I have no idea what you are arguing.  You could say that you think it's a bigger risk to take KG than to keep Bynum and Brown.  If you said that, than you're application of the cliche would be correct.  However, that wasn't the context of my statement, nor NIK's.  We were discussing the immediate future with the distant future.  Got it?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

LMAO!!!

The saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" means to be grateful for what you have, rather than wanting something you MIGHT be able to get...Don't know how you got confused with it, it's pretty self-explanitory...As for your logic, Lakers already played like an elite team when they reached their full potential in the triangle this season...They're not nearly as far from the elite teams as you make it seem...KG would be nice, but I wouldn't dismember my roster for him, especially a roster that has dynasty potential...Phil Jackson never worked like that, it was always a growth process with Phil...If Mitch acquires the right players in the off-season and makes the needed adjustments, we will be a top-notch team without trading for a superstar...Mark my words.

jeromechickenbone

LMAO!!!

The saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" means to be grateful for what you have, rather than wanting something you MIGHT be able to get...Don't know how you got confused with it, it's pretty self-explanitory...As for your logic, Lakers already played like an elite team when they reached their full potential in the triangle this season...They're not nearly as far from the elite teams as you make it seem...KG would be nice, but I wouldn't dismember my roster for him, especially a roster that has dynasty potential...Phil Jackson never worked like that, it was always a growth process with Phil...If Mitch acquires the right players in the off-season and makes the needed adjustments, we will be a top-notch team without trading for a superstar...Mark my words.

Elite teams don't go out in the 1st round of the playoffs.  They pushed the Suns to 7, but they weren't good enough to beat the Suns who didn't even have Amare.  If they played a team that had an average defense, that series would have been over sooner. 

The Lakers might be an elite team in a few years, but they might not.  And I'm not disagreeing with you about shuffling together a team to contend immediately versus building a strong core for the future.  What I would ask you though is if you believe the Lakers would be a better team next year if they made this trade?  I think they would.  I think KG would find a huge resurgence in LA.  The guy just turned 30 like 3 weeks ago, it's not like he's elderly.  He's obviously miserable in Minn.  Put him somewhere that the sun shines, and playing with arguably the best player in the league, I think you'd see instant results.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
As a die hard Laker fan who suffered through the horrible 1993 season, remembering Magic Johnson saying he gots HIV, and more resently last year (2005), it will say this. WE BETTER GET KG. This season was good, but so was 1995. A great team, that was a main player away from the Conference Finals. In 1995, the roster of Van Exel, Eddie Jones, and Cedric was missing someone to take them to the top. They were good, second rounders, upset an elite team here and there, and were all under the age of 25, so there was a future. But, Buss wanted to make sure he had the horses to run the race to the finals, not build up to one. So he took a chance, traded over half the team away, George Lynch and Anothy Peeler, two very good Laker players were traded for almost nothing, two second round draft picks. That was way under their worth. The results was Shaq, and in all that mess they traded Divac's for money reasons to the Hornets for Kobe. This was not because of Kobe's future, it was to save money to get Shaq. It was the greatest off season any team has had, and Jerry West was the master mind. If KG is on the market, you can't play conservative, you have to go out and get the best number 2 man for Kobe. Maybe trade for a pick or two, and get some experenced vets to put it all together. Shaq and the Clippers are still in the playoffs, this cannot stand.

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
horrible trade for minesota

LAKERS_FAN89

horrible trade for minesota
haha yeah is good 4 the L8KERS!!! 8)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

LMAO!!!

Elite teams don't go out in the 1st round of the playoffs.  They pushed the Suns to 7, but they weren't good enough to beat the Suns who didn't even have Amare.  If they played a team that had an average defense, that series would have been over sooner. 

The Lakers might be an elite team in a few years, but they might not.  And I'm not disagreeing with you about shuffling together a team to contend immediately versus building a strong core for the future.  What I would ask you though is if you believe the Lakers would be a better team next year if they made this trade?  I think they would.  I think KG would find a huge resurgence in LA.  The guy just turned 30 like 3 weeks ago, it's not like he's elderly.  He's obviously miserable in Minn.  Put him somewhere that the sun shines, and playing with arguably the best player in the league, I think you'd see instant results.

See, I didn't say the Lakers were an elite team as of now...They lost to the Suns due to their lack of post players (when Mihm was injured) and inexperience...Now if they fill those holes (ala veteran contributor + serviceable power forward), then they have a great chance at elite status, especially under Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant...I think the Lakers could possibly be better next year if they made the trade, but I couldn't answer that for sure...Who knows how Odom and Kwame will play? They started developing a nice little chemistry during the end of the season, I would like to see how that carries in to next season...Remember, we also can't just bring in brand new players to learn the triangle and expect instant results, it's a legthy process...I think it would be stupid to dismember such a young team with great potential who was a rebound away from the 2nd round (and ultimately the WCF, IMO)...I think we need to keep our nucleus in tact and build around it, and I have a feelin that it's what we're gunna do...If I'm wrong, I'm excited about seeing a Kobe+KG tandem, but hopefully what we have will be enough with some minor adjustments...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

As a die hard Laker fan who suffered through the horrible 1993 season, remembering Magic Johnson saying he gots HIV, and more resently last year (2005), it will say this. WE BETTER GET KG. This season was good, but so was 1995. A great team, that was a main player away from the Conference Finals. In 1995, the roster of Van Exel, Eddie Jones, and Cedric was missing someone to take them to the top. They were good, second rounders, upset an elite team here and there, and were all under the age of 25, so there was a future. But, Buss wanted to make sure he had the horses to run the race to the finals, not build up to one. So he took a chance, traded over half the team away, George Lynch and Anothy Peeler, two very good Laker players were traded for almost nothing, two second round draft picks. That was way under their worth. The results was Shaq, and in all that mess they traded Divac's for money reasons to the Hornets for Kobe. This was not because of Kobe's future, it was to save money to get Shaq. It was the greatest off season any team has had, and Jerry West was the master mind. If KG is on the market, you can't play conservative, you have to go out and get the best number 2 man for Kobe. Maybe trade for a pick or two, and get some experenced vets to put it all together. Shaq and the Clippers are still in the playoffs, this cannot stand.

Sorry, but you're wrong man...The Lakers traded for Kobe because the franchise and Jerry West saw something very special in him and wanted him for whatever it took...It's known that he was very sought after by the Lakers. As a fan during the Cedric Ceballos era, I can tell you that we didn't just trade players with the intent of breaking up our nucleus.. of course, we were gunna do whatever it took to obtain Shaq, because our front office saw a future dynasty with him, he hadn't even reached his prime...That's not something we can say for KG...Look, we have cap space in 2008 to sign whoever we want, there's no reason to trade away players who have been said to be something special when we can get something like a Bosh in 2 years without trading away key players...We're climbing up the ladder step by step. Be patient...PeACe

Vegasmac25

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I would take my chances with KG in the next few years and bet the Lakers will get 1 or 2 rings.

keepin_it_real

I wouldn't trade Lamar Odom, he's a great team player, always a threat 2 get a triple double, and we'd have to give up way 2 many players 2 get K.G.

LAKERS_FAN89

I would take my chances with KG in the next few years and bet the Lakers will get 1 or 2 rings.
OR 3 OR 4 OR 10 8)

authentic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
keep talking about depth...fact still remains the only useful player is odom..its trading odom (and questionables) for garnett (amazing player). Use the rocket excuse but Kobe knows he wont bring a team to championship, he'll get close, but he needs an extra push. Garnett could be the answer.