Author Topic: Dawson gets England standby call  (Read 78 times)

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
Dawson gets England standby call
« on: May 21, 2006, 02:56:16 PM »

Dawson gets England standby call

Tottenham's Michael Dawson has been called into England's World Cup squad as a standby.

The defender replaces Charlton's Luke Young, who withdrew after injuring his ankle in training.

The uncapped Dawson helped Spurs to fifth position in the Premiership and a place in next season's Uefa Cup.

"It's amazing really and caps a fantastic season for both myself and the club," the 22-year-old Dawson was quoted on Tottenham's website.

"To actually be in the squad and to see what happens as we build up to a World Cup will be a great experience and I'm looking forward to it.

"I'll thoroughly enjoy it and we'll see what happens."

It is the first time Sven-Goran Eriksson has selected the former Nottingham Forest defender, but he has been a regular at Under-21 level.

Dawson will join his new international team-mates when they meet up on Monday.

He joins his club team-mate Jermain Defoe on the standby list, while Paul Robinson, Michael Carrick, Jermaine Jenas and Aaron Lennon were named in the 23-man squad.

Dawson began his career at Forest before earning a £4m move to White Hart Lane in January 2005.

He made just five appearances for Spurs in the 2004-2005 season but has established himself as a first-team regular this campaign.

Young pulled out on Saturday after suffering a recurrence of an injury that had seen him miss Charlton Athletic's last seven games of the Premier League season.
NO MORE WAR

Intriago33

Re: Dawson gets England standby call
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 03:14:43 PM »
Nice to hear, this player will go from strength-to-strength from now.
I wouldn't be suprised if he's partnering Terry by the time 2008 rolls round.