Author Topic: XXL gave "Cali Iz Active" an L  (Read 341 times)

xGlimpsex

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I. Will. Not. Lose.
XXL gave "Cali Iz Active" an L
« on: June 07, 2006, 07:59:26 AM »
Just passing it on. I never take other reviewer's words until I listen to it.
Hip Hop: Live, Breathe, Sleep it.

Gangstauu

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FC Utrecht 4 Life
Re: XXL gave "Cali Iz Active" an L
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 08:25:31 AM »
hehe, i dunno shit bout the xxl magazine, what can they give, is a l good or whut??

One day everything is gonna be fine
But until that day my only reply "westside till I die"  -TQ

West Up

Utreg 4 Life

Webby05

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 08:39:01 AM »
When Kurupt re-signed with Tha Row in 2002, most thought the prospects of a Dogg Pound reunion were highly unlikely. In fact, Daz Dillinger and his former partner in rhyme quickly got embroiled in a tense war of words that seemed to solidify the end of the group. Fortunately, the West Coast vets managed to bury the hatchet and get it crackin’ again with their third official disc, Cali Iz Active.

Although the reincarnated DPG is supposed to include Snoop Dogg as an official member, the OG only makes his presence felt on a scant number of songs. On the organ-laced title track, Snoop assures fans that Daz and Kurupt can and will hold their own, “Don’t worry about a muthafuckin’ thing/But worry about my homies, ’cause my homies’ gonna bang.” The East Coast–tailored single “Sittin on 23’z” supports that claim, as Dillinger and Young Gotti volley verses back and forth like a tennis ball over Swizz Beatz’s sinister organs. “It’s All Hood” reveals a similar rekindled chemistry, as Daz and Kurupt ride out to Battlecat’s crisp hand claps and nimble piano work.

Problems arise when the duo adds a few incongruous guests to the G-funked mix. David Banner’s schizophrenic appearance on “Get That Money” doesn’t exactly match the L.A. reppers’ gangsta vibe. The same can be said for Busta Rhymes, who phones in a throwaway chorus for “What Tha Fuck.” Despite the odd pairing, Kurupt manages to salvage the rumblin’ track with lyrically dense lines like, “My optics is telescopic/You shootin’ bullets, we poppin’ minirockets.”

While misogynistic tracks like “Drop Your Drawers” and “She Like Dat” adhere to the duo’s doggy style, they lack the infectious flavor of previous DPG collabos like “Bitches Ain’t Shit” and “Ain’t No Fun (If the Homies Can’t Have None.” Aside from the failed reaches for broader acceptance, Daz and Kurupt still manage to corral enough gangsta shit to keep the Cali movement active.—DAMIEN SCOTT

FUCK REVIEWS! THEY GAVE YAYO A XL!!!

QCDutch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • #1 llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:45:57 AM »
hehe, i dunno shit bout the xxl magazine, what can they give, is a l good or whut??

they give from S to XXL

so it's like 3 outta 5 mics

BigEEE

• 'G'
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 10:17:30 AM »
We all know you cant judge a CD on just one time listing, later down the line they'll know they F'd up.......

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 10:28:14 AM »
Fuck XXL...they think they're better than The Source and that their journalism is more from an objective point-of-view. My ass...Elliot Wilson (Editor-in-Chief of XXL) himself said in his column that he chooses to put popular artists on his covers (preferably Interscope artists) because those covers always generate big sales. Their slogan is "Hip-Hop on a higher level". Yeah right...when you choose money over quality of journalism, then where's the "higher level"? I don't even care about their ratings...if they give an album a "M" score, that doesn't stop me from checking out the album myself.

TOOTHBRUSH

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • dpg production
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 11:15:49 AM »
hmm i gues we'll see what happens.  and didn't the tracklist we saw have no busta on it?
"its tha pimp of tha crew soopafly comin through wit a dick and a couple balls just to name a few"-soopafly

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 11:17:44 AM »
hmm i gues we'll see what happens.  and didn't the tracklist we saw have no busta on it?

he's doing the hook
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

fanofdaznumber1

• Lil Geezy
Vote For Cali Iz Active On BET Right Here!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 12:59:35 PM »
Vote For Cali Iz Active On BET Right Here!
VOTE OR DIE!!
LET'S MAKE SNOOP, DAZ, AND KURUPT NO.1 ON BET'S 106 & PARK

Vote for DPGC's "Cali Iz Active" on 106 & Park! Call 106 & Park at 800-617-LIVE TODAY AND EVERY WEEKDAY between 5:30-6:00PM ET and request "Cali Iz Active"

Vote all day online at :

<a href="http://www.bet.com/Site+Management/Polls/106+and+Park+II.htm?:">Cick here to vote for Cali Iz Active on BET's 106 & Park</a>

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 01:29:12 PM »
We all know you cant judge a CD on just one time listing, later down the line they'll know they F'd up.......

Thats true but at the same time to me a cd is only a 4 or a 5 if you dont have o listen to it to start liking it. The moment you that you have to listen to a album a couple of times then you know its not great or a classic. I remember listen to any eazy e album,, cronic, doggystyle, all eyez on me bow down and loved those records instantly.

Active Ingredient

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • wake up in tha mornin with my lucky charms cereal
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 01:37:42 PM »
a L from XXL for a westocast cd!!!

thats gotta be like 4 stars

"I keep it gangsta for the kids" -Goldie Loc

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 02:14:17 PM »
a L from XXL for a westocast cd!!!

thats gotta be like 4 stars

Why they never high on westcoast records?

PLANT

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 07:09:39 PM »
they only gave Ice Cubes new album a L rating too......and I think that shit is classic!