Author Topic: Roethlisberger 'alert & conscious' After Bike Crash  (Read 130 times)

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "When you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
Roethlisberger 'alert & conscious' After Bike Crash
« on: June 12, 2006, 09:47:58 AM »
Early indications are injuries not life-threatening
ESPN.com news services

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, who last season became the youngest quarterback in NFL history to lead his team to a Super Bowl title, was injured Monday morning and has been transported to a local hospital with head injuries of unspecified severity.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service, told The Associated Press.

Roethlisberger, the team's first-round choice in the 2004 draft, was transported to the trauma unit of nearby Mercy Hospital, a source confirmed for ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, but his condition is unknown.

Witnesses told authorities that the player's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.

Steelers officials have confirmed the accident, which occurred on Second Avenue near the intersection of 10th Street in Pittsburgh, around 11:30 a.m. The route is one often taken in traveling to the Steelers' facility in the Southside section of the city.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.

In the wake of a motorcycle accident sustained by Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow last spring, Roethlisberger spoke about his own fixation with motorcycles, and his penchant for riding without a helmet. He was admonished by former Steelers quarterback and Hall of Fame member Terry Bradshaw for potentially jeopardizing his career.

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.

A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.

John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli contributed to this story. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
Re: Roethlisberger 'alert & conscious' After Bike Crash
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 11:01:16 AM »
YES!

I mean..that's tragic =/
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

WestCoasta

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 12:41:42 PM »
if you're a multi-million dollar sports star why would u risk shit on a bike?

ever heard of Jay Williams?

rik

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 12:44:34 PM »
if you're a multi-million dollar sports star why would u risk shit on a bike?

ever heard of Jay Williams?
I know man dumb mufuckas

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 03:28:56 PM »
not jsut that foo wasnt even wearing a helmet

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 04:28:54 PM »
I heard on espn earlier that they thing there is qutie a bit of damage to his knees. I'd say he just messed up his whole career.

I need some meaning I can memorize
The kind I have always seems to slip my mind

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 05:10:18 PM »
dumbass. i remember watching a pregame show or some shit where this topic was brought up by cowher that he should at least were a helmet. he just pulled a kellen winslow.

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "When you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 10:43:15 PM »
He has said in the past that if it were a law to wear a helmet he would, but since it isn't he doesn't because he says it feels freer without the helmet. Just he learned the hard way as to why he should wear a helmet.

mrceo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • More Greens Than The Jolly Green Giant
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 12:54:23 AM »
What a dumbfuck, I say he doesn't play next season, all athletes should be banned from motorcycles