Author Topic: Knicks Fire Larry Brown, Isiah Thomas New Coach  (Read 387 times)

ecrazy

Knicks Fire Larry Brown, Isiah Thomas New Coach
« on: June 22, 2006, 09:18:50 AM »

NEW YORK, June 22, 2006 – Larry Brown has been relieved of his responsibilities as head coach of the New York Knicks it was announced today. Isiah Thomas, who serves as the team’s president and general manager, will also assume the role of head coach, effective immediately.

“Larry has had a long and storied career. We hired him last summer with the expectation that he would be with the Knicks for a long time. Sometimes decisions work and sometimes they don’t. After careful consideration, despite the best intentions from everyone involved, this current structure did not work for us last season and I did not think it was going to improve next season,” MSG Chairman James L. Dolan said. “I have great personal admiration for Larry, but have concluded that it is best for our franchise if we make this change. We understand that fans were not happy with the performance of the team last season and neither were we. We are committed to making major improvements next season towards our goal of producing a winning basketball team.”

“No one in our organization is happy with last season and we all accept responsibility for our performance,” Thomas said. “This has been a difficult time for the entire organization and our fans. Today begins the 2006-07 season for the Knicks, and I strongly believe we are on the right track to take major steps in our rebuilding process to achieve our goal of being one of the premier teams in the NBA. Larry Brown is a great coach, but for various reasons, bringing him to the Knicks did not turn out the way we had hoped and we wish him the best in the future.”

Thomas, who joined the Knicks as president and general manager on Dec. 22, 2003, previously served as a head coach with the Indiana Pacers for three seasons from 2000-01 through 2002-03. Coaching a youthful Pacers team, he compiled a record of 131-115 record, making the playoffs in each of his three seasons.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Knicks Fire Larry Brown, Isiah Thomas New Coach
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:23:43 AM »
LMAOOOOO

Brown really knows how to make money. Knicks will go down.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 09:31:21 AM »
Everyone already knew this, they just took a super long time announcing it...I thought Brown would replace Adelman in Sacramento, but the Kings already filled their coaching position. I believe I heard rumors of him heading to Golden State, but who knows...He made 10 million doing nothing. I honestly believe Isiah is gunna make this team a lot better. His coaching style also fits them a lot more...PeACe

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 12:43:09 PM »
LOL

Quadruple OG

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 04:37:13 PM »
rumor is that Larry "I'll quit on your team within a couple seasons to look for jobs elsewhere" Brown might be heading to Charlotte

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 05:20:50 PM »
the #1 wack team man :P

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 12:24:46 AM »
lol, zeke is a joke. This will be one more train wreck on his resume.

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 01:22:50 AM »
Knicks = one of the dumbest organizations in all of sport
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 01:24:27 AM by PRIN©È »

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 02:39:30 AM »

co-signature
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 03:04:42 AM »
isiah thomas can't coach

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 06:23:26 AM »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 11:17:04 AM »
isiah thomas can't coach

He fared well with the Pacers...I honestly believe ya'll are just basing your opinions off what the media told you. It's obvious that in order to have a good team you need a strong coach who will work with the players...Larry Brown was not that guy. Isiah Thomas is closer to the type of guy who will get along with players like Francis, Marbury, Crawford, etc. I see this as a step up, not a step down...

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 08:45:56 PM »
He blew ass as the Pacers coach. That team was stacked and was 500 every year but 1 when he was coach. And they year they were above 500 they were 42 and 40 I think? Ron, JO, Brad Miller, Reggie, Al Harrington, Jalen Rose (6 years ago mind you) and you can't break 500 or win a playoff series? He's a joke, and was a terrible coach. There is no mistake the year Carlisle took over they won 50 games without Brad Miller no less. Then coach the pacers to a winning record and a playoff series win when Ron gets suspended for the entire season as well as JO and Sjax both being suspended for almost a quarter season. Zeke is a total blow hard. He won't make it thru the season without getting canned.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 09:19:06 PM »
He blew ass as the Pacers coach. That team was stacked and was 500 every year but 1 when he was coach. And they year they were above 500 they were 42 and 40 I think? Ron, JO, Brad Miller, Reggie, Al Harrington, Jalen Rose (6 years ago mind you) and you can't break 500 or win a playoff series? He's a joke, and was a terrible coach. There is no mistake the year Carlisle took over they won 50 games without Brad Miller no less. Then coach the pacers to a winning record and a playoff series win when Ron gets suspended for the entire season as well as JO and Sjax both being suspended for almost a quarter season. Zeke is a total blow hard. He won't make it thru the season without getting canned.

As far as I can remember, Jermaine O'Neal was extremely disappointed and upset with the franchise when Isiah was fired. He said Isiah brought him to levels no one else could...I believe he claimed that the only reason he signed his extension was because the front office promised the return of Isiah Thomas as the head coach...I dunno, I remember them being a strong team under him...I think it will work in New York, it can't get any worse than last year...PeACe

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 09:25:53 PM »

As far as I can remember, Jermaine O'Neal was extremely disappointed and upset with the franchise when Isiah was fired. He said Isiah brought him to levels no one else could...I believe he claimed that the only reason he signed his extension was because the front office promised the return of Isiah Thomas as the head coach...I dunno, I remember them being a strong team under him...I think it will work in New York, it can't get any worse than last year...PeACe

Well unlike what you said JO is happy right now with the team but yes NIK you are right on the money the only reason JO signed that 7yr127million contract is because he was guarenteed that Isiah was coming back and yes he felt betrayed by Bird who basically lied to him and I dont blame him and that is why until now Bird and JO's relationship was sour.  I think Isiah will do ok with the Knicks and I think he was average when he coached the pacers. Yes we had a good team but remember at the time JO and Ronnie werent quite as good as the are now.