Author Topic: I don't understand how West Coast MC's are making money.  (Read 729 times)

xquistqban

• 'G'
I don't understand how West Coast MC's are making money.
« on: July 12, 2006, 12:47:14 PM »
Can someone please help me understand how westcoast MC's are making money.  I mean look at Roscoe for example.   He is one of my fav rappers, but how does he actually make money?  His new album won't even sell 100,000.  Does he make any money from his album at all?  Also, how are Daz and Kurupt supposedly balling?  THey arent pushing many units. 

d-nice

Re: I don't understand how West Coast MC's are making money.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 12:54:32 PM »
I don't have Kurupt, Roscoe or Daz's Wells Fargo or Washington Mutual account info. All I know is I asked Suge for 10 dollars and he said no.  ;) Why is everyone so concerned with rappers bank account?

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 12:57:12 PM »
Can someone please help me understand how westcoast MC's are making money.  I mean look at Roscoe for example.   He is one of my fav rappers, but how does he actually make money?  His new album won't even sell 100,000.  Does he make any money from his album at all?  Also, how are Daz and Kurupt supposedly balling?  THey arent pushing many units. 

lol this nigga is concerned....go hold a fund raiser for roscoe if u that worried
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

mauzip

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 01:03:55 PM »
Roscoe probably does this rap thing as a side job. I can't imagine he actually makes a living off of it.

J Bananas

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 01:27:26 PM »
your first misconception was that rappers actually become rich. most of em are just grindin like they got a regular job, it just so happens to be music.

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 01:28:58 PM »
i'm sure lot of rappers barely get any more.
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Citizen-Y

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 01:29:55 PM »
Even if their cd is wack, some eurohead will buy it.

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 01:44:16 PM »
your first misconception was that rappers actually become rich. most of em are just grindin like they got a regular job, it just so happens to be music.

its they job....

but dogg pound still eatin off old money im sure... and as far as the indie releases go, its all profit for daz

djkoast

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 02:06:51 PM »
None of us know for certain exactly what is going on but even selling 60k records on Koch gets you some kind of money.  You certainly won't be on Forbes with those numbers but you guys act as if they still don't make enough to live.  Even if they are getting 3 bucks per record that is still a chunk of change.  If all of us can live off what we make, they can live off that.  Plus alot of what they own, as far as houses and cars go....were probably purchased when they were making more money.  I know Kurupt had a house he owned in a gated community up in Northridge they he paid for back in the day.

Daz won a lawsuit against Suge/Deathrow for millions so I am sure he is not hurting there.  Plus he has production deals and has been producing for plenty of people.  They also have done a few shows out here in Cali recently.  Two or three weekends ago to be exact.  Kurupt and Daz both get paid off publishing still.

How are they making money? By being independent for the most part.  Selling 50k records independently will give you a nice chunk of money.  Most of these guys selling millions on major labels are not making the kind of money you think.  Don't let the rented cars, rented  jewelery, and cristal in the videos fool you.
http://the9elements.blogspot.com/

News, fashion, audio downloads, videos, reviews, and upcoming events from LA to NYC!

Active Ingredient

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • wake up in tha mornin with my lucky charms cereal
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 02:41:48 PM »
indi game. thats how

"I keep it gangsta for the kids" -Goldie Loc

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 02:49:08 PM »
Daz said he makes more off indy releases than major label releases, and he was a platnum artist in the majors. Plus he also said, and I've heard other say the same, that you make hell money on the road on tour. Tours are were you get the most money, and I know the DPG be on tour a lot. Plus both Daz and Kurupt were once Death Row VP, which I'm sure paid well or else Suge would still be sitting on his 300 million he made from the early-mid 90's. So I don't worry about them. As for Roscoe, he might be one of the ghost writers. Ghost writers be making banks too, and Roscoe's style seems to fit some others I've heard in the mainstream.

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F

TuSlic

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 04:25:46 PM »
None of us know for certain exactly what is going on but even selling 60k records on Koch gets you some kind of money.  You certainly won't be on Forbes with those numbers but you guys act as if they still don't make enough to live.  Even if they are getting 3 bucks per record that is still a chunk of change.  If all of us can live off what we make, they can live off that.  Plus alot of what they own, as far as houses and cars go....were probably purchased when they were making more money.  I know Kurupt had a house he owned in a gated community up in Northridge they he paid for back in the day.

Daz won a lawsuit against Suge/Deathrow for millions so I am sure he is not hurting there.  Plus he has production deals and has been producing for plenty of people.  They also have done a few shows out here in Cali recently.  Two or three weekends ago to be exact.  Kurupt and Daz both get paid off publishing still.

How are they making money? By being independent for the most part.  Selling 50k records independently will give you a nice chunk of money.  Most of these guys selling millions on major labels are not making the kind of money you think.  Don't let the rented cars, rented  jewelery, and cristal in the videos fool you.

and there you have it folks, that pretty much sums it up

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 12:17:49 AM »
where u think they find the bucks  lol pretty funny:
drug sells,robberies in any kind...sometimes a normal job....
here is a good EXAMPLE
Back then I could have said majors deals too but since we know all that is the past ....
& as for the guys under indie labels,I don't have the statistics u know but Im sure that only 20% live&eat tru their music only,but this rate could raise sooner than we expect

Too bad,the majors are tryin to re-control the whole damn thang with their media rights protections n shit  I really hope someone will brake em coz I wanna see mo' guys under indie labels ....I think it's the way to work for an artist.
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

truedupbluedup

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 02:09:02 AM »
Idie releases, shows, and publishing...