Author Topic: Kobe has knee surgery, wont play for team U.S.A.  (Read 961 times)

Spicemuthafuc*in1

Kobe has knee surgery, wont play for team U.S.A.
« on: July 15, 2006, 09:16:36 AM »
Damn I didnt see this coming, but they say he will have a quick recovery.  Anyways this is tough for team usa though losing their best player like this.

PLANT

Re: Kobe has knee surgery, wont play for team U.S.A.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 09:23:24 AM »

Lakers' star to miss 8-12 weeks
Kobe Won’t Play for USA After Knee Surgery

Bryant

July 15, 2006 -- Kobe Bryant reportedly had surgery and won't play for Team USA this summer.

Bryant had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Friday and will need eight to 12 weeks to recover, The Riverside Press-Enterprise reported Saturday.

While Bryant will not participate in the team's training camp next week, he will get the chance to compete for the Olympic team, a USA Basketball spokesperson told the paper.

The sugery was a "minor treatment" of cartilage and to remove scar tissue. The Lakers begin training camp Oct. 2.

"We trust that Kobe will have a total and speedy recover, and we are pleased that he expressed a willingness to remain as involved with our team as possible through this process," Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball Senior National Team managing director, said in a statement issued by USA Basketball to The Press-Enterprise. "Kobe being with the team will add to our team chemistry, and his presence will help provide valuable off-court leadership."

USA Basketball announced Thursday that Bryant's L.A. teammate Lamar Odom and Paul Pierce would miss training camp later this month. Another player, J.J. Redick, had recently said he wouldn't take part when camp opens Wednesday in Las Vegas because he has been out with a back injury.

After training camp, the roster will be whittled from 24 to 15 players, then trimmed to 12 for the World Championships, which begin Aug. 19 in Japan.

The U.S. is in Group D with 2004 Olympic silver medalist Italy, Puerto Rico, Slovenia, China and Senegal.

The winner of the 24-nation World Championships receives an automatic berth to the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China. If Team USA does not win, it must qualify through the 2007 FIBA Tournament of the Americas 

coola

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 09:38:00 AM »
it's not as though they need kobe to be the best anyway.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 09:48:44 AM »
You guys, he's still on the USA Team...He's just not gunna practice with them this year and will miss the Lakers' training-camp...He'll be ready in time for the regular season...PeACe

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 10:08:42 AM »
Let's see if he ever bounces back from this...
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 10:20:56 AM »
You guys, he's still on the USA Team...He's just not gunna practice with them this year and will miss the Lakers' training-camp...He'll be ready in time for the regular season...PeACe

lol yeah I know, I never said he wouldnt be ready for the start of the season, I just meant he wouldnt play for team usa.  I know he's still on the team USA I just meant he wouldnt play.  This surgery WONT affect him at all though, I am sure he will be the exact same player as last year, if anything he will be better.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 10:22:57 AM »
Let's see if he ever bounces back from this...

LMFAO! It's a very minor surgery, nothing career-altering...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 10:24:56 AM »

lol yeah I know, I never said he wouldnt be ready for the start of the season, I just meant he wouldnt play for team usa.  I know he's still on the team USA I just meant he wouldnt play.  This surgery WONT affect him at all though, I am sure he will be the exact same player as last year, if anything he will be better.

He IS playing for Team USA...He just won't be working with them for this year. It doesn't really matter though, because the players now are competing for roster spots with Team USA, and Kobe is obviously a lock...

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 11:19:25 AM »
hes gonna be ready for the season and the olympics.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 11:21:47 AM »

He IS playing for Team USA...He just won't be working with them for this year. It doesn't really matter though, because the players now are competing for roster spots with Team USA, and Kobe is obviously a lock...

I think he was just saying that Kobe isn't playing in the World Championships for Team USA, not that he won't be in the olympic squad.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 12:04:54 PM »

I think he was just saying that Kobe isn't playing in the World Championships for Team USA, not that he won't be in the olympic squad.

It's the same thing...LOL.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 12:10:10 PM »

No its not,

"After training camp, the roster will be whittled from 24 to 15 players, then trimmed to 12 for the World Championships, which begin Aug. 19 in Japan.

The U.S. is in Group D with 2004 Olympic silver medalist Italy, Puerto Rico, Slovenia, China and Senegal.

The winner of the 24-nation World Championships receives an automatic berth to the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China. If Team USA does not win, it must qualify through the 2007 FIBA Tournament of the Americas"

Different competition.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 12:14:03 PM »

No its not,

"After training camp, the roster will be whittled from 24 to 15 players, then trimmed to 12 for the World Championships, which begin Aug. 19 in Japan.

The winner of the 24-nation World Championships receives an automatic berth to the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China. If Team USA does not win, it must qualify through the 2007 FIBA Tournament of the Americas"

Different competition.

I think you're confused...Kobe just won't be in training camp, that's where they will narrow down the team. This is ONE team.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 12:24:53 PM »
"July 15, 2006 -- Kobe Bryant reportedly had surgery and won't play for Team USA this summer."

The article says he is out for 8-12 weeks so that means he will clearly miss the World Championship in Japan as that is in August. He will then (I assume) be drafted back into the squad by the time they get round to the Olympics in 08 or whenever they start warm up games for that tournament.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 12:53:31 PM »
"July 15, 2006 -- Kobe Bryant reportedly had surgery and won't play for Team USA this summer."

The article says he is out for 8-12 weeks so that means he will clearly miss the World Championship in Japan as that is in August. He will then (I assume) be drafted back into the squad by the time they get round to the Olympics in 08 or whenever they start warm up games for that tournament.

Dude, there won't be any real games this summer, the "world championship" is BS...LOL. The main thing this summer for TEAM USA is TRAINING CAMP, which is what Kobe will miss...PeACe
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 01:03:50 PM by Now_I_Know »