Poll

Is it Dre's responsibility to help the west coast, whether it's promoting new artists or producing for upcoming ones?

Yes, it definitely is!
7 (14%)
Not at all...he has already done more than 95% of the rap game
12 (24%)
It's not his responsibility, but it would help a lot
29 (58%)
It doesn't matter, he can't bring the west back on his own
2 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Is it Dre's responsibility to help the west coast?  (Read 667 times)

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Is it Dre's responsibility to help the west coast?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 11:57:36 PM »
Dre would probably fuck with them if they put out quality material and had a better personality. Believe it or not, a lot of these young cats are too cocky to take orders from a Dr. Dre caliber producer cuz they feel like they're already hot enough.

This is true. I know from first hand experience trying to get rappers to do another take, or getting them to say things a certain way, or to take words out/put more words in, etc, etc, that the vast majority of rappers are not willing to put in that extra effort to make a song the right way. People bring the wrong approach to their craft, especially independent rappers who think all they gotta do is record some cus words and rep their set and they will sell 100k independent and be rich forever.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 04:48:00 PM by Turf Hitta »

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 03:06:55 PM »
No, he's done more than 99.9 % of anyone, Dre can do what he wants.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Narrator

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 03:46:02 PM »
If you ask me, Dre is a good example to all west coast artists.

Stop trying so hard to be a banger, stop beefin with niggas on your own coast, and stop being wack. Dre can;t help everybody. Help ya damn self.

Amen.

Sometimes I think the West doesn't deserve to be helped.  Who the fuck would want to help a bunch of muh'fuckas who ain't doing shit but complaining that nobody outside of the West listens to them when they're dissing everyone else (in the East and the South) for not being "real" enough?  Nobody else overrates themselves as much as the West.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 04:04:00 PM »
Nobody else overrates themselves as much as the West.

false. Do you have any idea how big NYers heads are when it comes to rap? Nobody could possibly have a higher opinion of themselves than them.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 04:06:22 PM by Turf Hitta »

Narrator

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 04:11:22 PM »
false. Do you have any idea how big NYers heads are when it comes to rap? Nobody could possibly have a higher opinion of themselves than them.

Yeah, and when you are (1.) the place where hip-hop was born and (2.) a place with a great deal of diversity (instead of endless shit about blunts and lowriders), you get to say that about yourself.

West Coast heads, on the other hand, are extremely superficial - the average West Coast fan is more concerned with how "gangsta" his favorite rapper appears (whether they claim a set or not, whether they've been to the pen, etc.) than how skilled they are at MCing.  And yet he believes he's not superficial, and then he'll go and criticize Southern rap fans for liking music that's not "hood" enough.

So no, West Coast rap fans are the ones who are the most full of shit.  They really don't deserve ANYBODY's help whatsoever for being so fucking stupid.  And I apologize to the West Coast fans who are smart and aren't only concerned about image, but what I'm saying does characterize 99% of West Coast fans.

i B 2 QUIK 2 c

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 04:34:30 PM »
they way i see it, this whole "west coast comeback" will not happen until dre releases Detox... then the coast will have the same exposure it did in from '99-'01 when he released 2001... dre is the only individual capable of carrying the whole coast...

think about it like this, the single "Cali iz Active" was a bangin track and the video featured practically every prominent west coast artist except Dre... and the single still got NO RECOGNITION from mainstream fans.  face it, this was the coast's best chance to regain some ground, but no one seemed to care...

perhaps times have changed and "now we got a new era of gangsters, hustlas and youngstas living amongst us...looking at us, now calling us bustas...cant help but reminisce back when it was us..." 

old artists that we respect and consider legends may not even be relevant to new age rap fans... these are the fans that record labels, radio stations and music television channels are trying to attract... times are changing and this shit happens in all genres of music... very very few artists manage to maintain a fanbase that spans more than one generation... i feel that dre one of these select few... he has mythical status and even kids in elementary school recognize that he makes hits thanks to his involvement with 50 & game & em

just my .02... peace

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 04:46:24 PM »

Yeah, and when you are (1.) the place where hip-hop was born and (2.) a place with a great deal of diversity (instead of endless shit about blunts and lowriders), you get to say that about yourself.

West Coast heads, on the other hand, are extremely superficial - the average West Coast fan is more concerned with how "gangsta" his favorite rapper appears (whether they claim a set or not, whether they've been to the pen, etc.) than how skilled they are at MCing.  And yet he believes he's not superficial, and then he'll go and criticize Southern rap fans for liking music that's not "hood" enough.

So no, West Coast rap fans are the ones who are the most full of shit.  They really don't deserve ANYBODY's help whatsoever for being so fucking stupid.  And I apologize to the West Coast fans who are smart and aren't only concerned about image, but what I'm saying does characterize 99% of West Coast fans.

1. at this point the birthplace of hip hop is 100% irrelevant. Kool Herc invented the shit, not the entire state of NY. yall got bullshit out there too, just like anywhere else.

2. LOL are you fuckin kidding me?  California is the most populated and most diverse state in the country. The fact that you think we are nothin but lowriders and blunts is just proof that you are out of touch with the West Coast and are hangin on to 10+ year old West Coast stereotypes. No, we dont wear chucks and flannels either. Get the fuck outta here, lol. And just for the record, you got just as many, and actually probably more rappers on the East claiming gangsta this and thug that in everything they do. 50 Cent, Benie Segal, Fat Joe, Camron and the Dipset, Ja Rule, Lil Kim, Jay Z, Memphis Bleek, etc etc etc etc.

And no, what you are saying does not characterize 99% of West Coast rap fans, again, that is you overgeneralizing us, an uninformed generalization at that. I would recommend that you take a trip to Cali, but then you will just see what you want to see. Yes there is lowriders and blunts out here, but if you honestly believe thats all we are, then you need to get off your computer and leave the house sometime.

Hectic

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • 60,000 RECORDS SOLD OUT THE TRUNK!!!!
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 04:47:37 PM »
its his reponsibilty to definately contribute somehow to it..  i dont give a fuck how much hes done!

www.valleyconcept.com

gav09

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 05:17:42 PM »
Its not his responsibility but it would help a lot!

Dre dont hav 2 help the west, but he could do. First and foremost Dre gonna b thinkin bout his own responsibilities. Dres gotta do the records that will further his career and fulfill his obligations 2 Interscope. Dre cant just sit there and release woteva record he wants weneva he wants (altho he can probably release his own album weneva he wants) , Jimmy Iovine & Interscope will hav certain targets that Dre gotta meet etc... He'll hav 2 submit so many albums n meet deadlines etc...

Dre probably doesnt hav time 2 help every1 on the west, not 2 say he doesnt want 2.

Ppl say that he doesnt sign any west coast artists, maybe he wants 2 but doesnt because they either wont ever get an Interscope release date or Jimmy says no because they wont sell enough records 2 make it worthwhile his effort, who knows???

All I know is that Dre gotta look out 4 himself, and that means doin his job, which means providin Interscope with a record thats gonna sell in BIG numbers and quick. Theres only a few west coast artists at the mo that can sell Interscope numbers and thats bein Dre (Detox wud definately sell millions), Snoop (Aint gonna go back 2 a major label), Cube (Goin the independant route) and Game (already signed with Interscpoe), other artists COULD sell large numbers, but not straight away.
I will believe Detox when I hear a single for it and have the album in my hands.
but what if you loose your hands before Detox drops?

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 05:31:43 PM »
Its not his responsibility but it would help a lot!

Dre dont hav 2 help the west, but he could do. First and foremost Dre gonna b thinkin bout his own responsibilities. Dres gotta do the records that will further his career and fulfill his obligations 2 Interscope. Dre cant just sit there and release woteva record he wants weneva he wants (altho he can probably release his own album weneva he wants) , Jimmy Iovine & Interscope will hav certain targets that Dre gotta meet etc... He'll hav 2 submit so many albums n meet deadlines etc...

Dre probably doesnt hav time 2 help every1 on the west, not 2 say he doesnt want 2.

Ppl say that he doesnt sign any west coast artists, maybe he wants 2 but doesnt because they either wont ever get an Interscope release date or Jimmy says no because they wont sell enough records 2 make it worthwhile his effort, who knows???

All I know is that Dre gotta look out 4 himself, and that means doin his job, which means providin Interscope with a record thats gonna sell in BIG numbers and quick. Theres only a few west coast artists at the mo that can sell Interscope numbers and thats bein Dre (Detox wud definately sell millions), Snoop (Aint gonna go back 2 a major label), Cube (Goin the independant route) and Game (already signed with Interscpoe), other artists COULD sell large numbers, but not straight away.

it is dres responsiblity to bring the west back up to its feet

haha

we should juz give him an offer he cant refuse  if u kno what i mean 8)

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

gav09

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2006, 05:35:16 PM »
^^^ Yeah, it wud b gr8 2 c Dre work with more West coast artists, Im sure he cud b tempted!!! I woz just sayin it aint part of his job so he dont hav 2 do it!
I will believe Detox when I hear a single for it and have the album in my hands.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2006, 05:41:07 PM »
Not at all...he has already done more than 95% of the rap game

Dre is a legend. Ice T, Ice Cube, MC Ren, Too Short, all of them all came out at the same time, and non of you are calling for them to put out new talent. Dre gave you Snoop Dogg, he gave you Ice Cube in the fact that he worked with CIA before Eazy asked him to be in NWA, Dre gave you Warren G, Tha Dogg Pound, Mel-Man, brought Xzibit to the mainstream, tried to bring up Knoc-Turn'al, worked with Ras Kass even though Rassy's label didn't release his album, is working with Bishop Lamont and put out Game. And that's just his westcoast resume. Whoever hates on that is just a pure and utter hater, and are not a true fan of hip-hop. that's my opinion, peace, until the next Junkyard

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2006, 05:44:04 PM »
Some of these WC artists need to help themselves before Dre can help them....But yeah he should help but it aint his responsibilty....

The Best of 3 Worlds

gav09

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2006, 05:46:48 PM »
Some of these WC artists need to help themselves before Dre can help them

True!

Shawn Nutt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2006, 05:47:03 PM »
until the next Junkyard

Where'd that shit go? I liked reading that stuff