Author Topic: Maybe the greatest wrestler ever  (Read 485 times)

Trauma-san

Re: Maybe the greatest wrestler ever
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 06:52:54 AM »
By you mentioning Chris Jericho and Hulk Hogan in the same post as 'coming close', you just tipped your hand that you don't know shit about wrestling.  Please go back, study more tapes from 80's NWA matches, and return here after you're ready to discuss it like a big boy. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 10:12:59 AM »
By you mentioning Chris Jericho and Hulk Hogan in the same post as 'coming close', you just tipped your hand that you don't know shit about wrestling.  Please go back, study more tapes from 80's NWA matches, and return here after you're ready to discuss it like a big boy. 

Study whose 80s NWA matches? Hogan's or Jericho's? because neither were in the NWA in the 80s.

Boo-Yaa †

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Keep the Faith
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 12:36:46 PM »
Not the greatest wrestler by a long shot

An average wrestler at best -

What he is though is perhaps the greatest entertainer with the most charisma and is the biggest ever draw in wrestling

He has been carried by far superior wrestlers - like Hansen, Di Biase, Savage - in his best matches

Yup, if the topic was greatest entertainer... i would of agreed!

herpes

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 12:55:09 PM »
LMFAO... no one on this board has shit on shallow when it comes to wrestling.

Trauma-san

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 12:59:55 PM »

Study whose 80s NWA matches? Hogan's or Jericho's? because neither were in the NWA in the 80s.

Where did I say they were, bitch?

Trauma-san

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »
LMFAO... no one on this board has shit on shallow when it comes to wrestling.

with the exception of me.  While Shallow talks about wrestling, I live in Charlotte, NC and have sat in some of the guys he mentions' living rooms and been invited to their children's birthday parties.  Ole Anderson helped me move into my house.  He simply doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about, OFTEN.  I'm not saying I'm friends with any of them or anything, I'm just saying it's a different environment between what he reads on the internet, and what I've talked with the guys about face to face. 

Paul

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 02:58:21 PM »

stop taking things to heart like im affending you, and im a bigger boy than you'll know , cunt. i know a hell of alot about wrestling but tht dusnt matter in this discussion. i know hogan was an entertainer but what entertains me might not you. to me yes jericho was a close to hogan and to me i thought jericho had more charisma thts why i put his name there. tht dusnt mean to say u have to agree.

and yeah jericho wasnt in NWA
funkyfreshintheflesh

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 03:05:16 PM »

I appreciate the compliment Mets but I have no desire to pretend I'm any sort of wrestling authority. I'm just a fan who has seen a lot of matches, read a few books, and seen/heard too many interviews.

Trauma, you mention Ole Anderson, a great booker, and superb in the ring and on the mic. Why don't you ask your "moving buddy" Ole to give his opinion on what kind of worker Hogan was and get back to us on it. I'm just talking about workrate and Ole's definition on pro wrestling, as I've heard him say many times, is making something fake look as real as possible. Hogan was not that.

I was also talking about long term fame and legendary status. I don't need to know any wrestlers to know that Mickey Mantle was a bigger star than Hogan, and we both know Mickey has faded into obscurity. Hogan may be the Babe Ruth of wrestling, but wrestling will never be baseball.

Where did I say they were, bitch?

Now we're not even talking wrestling, we're talking plain english. You responded to DJ Paul's post which stated;

"bow down i understand what u are trying to say but i gotta agree with this, the title of the thread is the greatest wrestler of all time, and hogan simply wasnt that good a wrestler. yeah u can say the stuff he done in japan but was he performing moves in japan like kurt angle does today? he also cant find submission moves out of nothing like chris benoit can.
no doubt he is perhaps the greatest entertainer in proffesional wrestlings history and only few have come close( rock, flair, jericho) but the guy didnt have the all round game to him"

then you responded with;

"By you mentioning Chris Jericho and Hulk Hogan in the same post as 'coming close', you just tipped your hand that you don't know shit about wrestling.  Please go back, study more tapes from 80's NWA matches, and return here after you're ready to discuss it like a big boy. "

You only mentioned Jericho and Hogan, and then mentioned NWA in the 80s. You were the one to bring up NWA not DJ Paul, and you said it right after you scoffed at Paul for mentioning Jericho in the same light as Hogan. This can only mean one of two things; either if Paul studied 80s NWA he would see how bad Jericho was, or how good Hogan was. Either way it would be impossible because neither were in the NWA in the 80s, which whether you know it or not you did mention, and as a man with a College degree you can re-read what you wrote and see that for yourself.

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 03:15:21 PM »
LMAO @ this bow down chump
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 03:24:54 PM »
LMAO! Hogan is the BEST ENTERTAINER ever, but to call him the best wrestler ever is absurd.

Hogan = 3 moves.

westkoastanostra

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 04:58:01 PM »
"bow down to the king of kings" (naw...thats alright) is like hogan's number #1 fan...of coarse he be talking like hogan was a god....hogan's the greatest wrestling entertainer!...not the greatest wrestler...but entertainer...

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 08:14:25 PM »
the title of this thread is MAYBE... how do I know, I wrote it.

Second, you guys say 3 moves, I put up video of him doing chain wrestling just like Benoit would do. I put up hard evidence that he can wrestle, and most everyone didn't even watched, and just bashed the thread. I showed my evidence. I will still die saying Angle is the greatest ever, but I at least put up some argument for Hulk Hogan. I made an attempt to see both sides of Hulkamania, and you guys aren't interested. What that tells me is you guys aren't even worthy of this thread.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 08:39:03 PM »

Second, you guys say 3 moves, I put up video of him doing chain wrestling just like Benoit would do. I put up hard evidence that he can wrestle, and most everyone didn't even watched, and just bashed the thread. I showed my evidence. I will still die saying Angle is the greatest ever, but I at least put up some argument for Hulk Hogan. I made an attempt to see both sides of Hulkamania, and you guys aren't interested. What that tells me is you guys aren't even worthy of this thread.

I didn't bash your thread but how can you put Hogan in the same light as Benoit, Tsuruta, Race, Kobashi, etc is beyond me. Like I said before, Hogan was not terrible in Japan, at best he wa okay, and when carried he could have as high as a very good match. Some of his matches with Inoki were good. Maeda was good. Hansen was a top level ring general. Just because Hogan does a hammerlock leg sweep takedown doesn't make him Benoit, just like jumping off the top rope with an axe handle doesn't make him KENTA.

How can you say anyone is the best ever? How many matches have you seen from the pre 80s? How many Jumbo Tsuruta matches have you seen? I never say the best ever because I know there are so many wrestlers I've yet to see in a signficant amount of matches. Watch all the greats then judge before you defend Angle.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 08:54:31 PM »

I didn't bash your thread but how can you put Hogan in the same light as Benoit, Tsuruta, Race, Kobashi, etc is beyond me. Like I said before, Hogan was not terrible in Japan, at best he wa okay, and when carried he could have as high as a very good match. Some of his matches with Inoki were good. Maeda was good. Hansen was a top level ring general. Just because Hogan does a hammerlock leg sweep takedown doesn't make him Benoit, just like jumping off the top rope with an axe handle doesn't make him KENTA.

How can you say anyone is the best ever? How many matches have you seen from the pre 80s? How many Jumbo Tsuruta matches have you seen? I never say the best ever because I know there are so many wrestlers I've yet to see in a signficant amount of matches. Watch all the greats then judge before you defend Angle.

in the words of Nas, your arms are too short to box with God. Especially on this topic. I've seen wrestling from many eras, I bought tapes from many years ago. I can honestly say, that after watching about 21 years worth of wrestling, watching from Japan, Mexico, Europe and of course the U.S., I can honestly, without a shadow of a doubt say Angle is the best ever. I will always give Hogan props, he was my childhood hero that got me into all of this, and I use to love watching foreign wrestling, because it was always just better to me that WWF and NWA. I have seen Jumbo Tsuruta, I've seen Muta in his prime, Andre in his prime doing drop kicks and sometimes coming off the ropes, I've seen more wrestling that what is healthy for one person, and I can honestly say, that Kurt Angle is the best wrestler, hole package, I've ever seen. Angle will come out, break a bone, pull a muscule, break his neck, and still complete the match as planned. He will carry anyone to a good match, and his mic skills are way too good to even deny. I've seen too much wrestling.

And besides, as I said, this gives people the chance to see Hogan do everything they said he never did. Had Hogan did this is yellow and red, Hulkamania would be accepted more by smarks like you. The problem, Hogan is not the draw he is, and the WWF never takes off like it did.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2006, 10:15:32 PM »

in the words of Nas, your arms are too short to box with God. Especially on this topic. I've seen wrestling from many eras, I bought tapes from many years ago. I can honestly say, that after watching about 21 years worth of wrestling, watching from Japan, Mexico, Europe and of course the U.S., I can honestly, without a shadow of a doubt say Angle is the best ever. I will always give Hogan props, he was my childhood hero that got me into all of this, and I use to love watching foreign wrestling, because it was always just better to me that WWF and NWA. I have seen Jumbo Tsuruta, I've seen Muta in his prime, Andre in his prime doing drop kicks and sometimes coming off the ropes, I've seen more wrestling that what is healthy for one person, and I can honestly say, that Kurt Angle is the best wrestler, hole package, I've ever seen. Angle will come out, break a bone, pull a muscule, break his neck, and still complete the match as planned. He will carry anyone to a good match, and his mic skills are way too good to even deny. I've seen too much wrestling.

And besides, as I said, this gives people the chance to see Hogan do everything they said he never did. Had Hogan did this is yellow and red, Hulkamania would be accepted more by smarks like you. The problem, Hogan is not the draw he is, and the WWF never takes off like it did.

I have tapes too, and I've seen a lot of matches but there is a difference bewteen seeing someone in his prime and seeeing hte whole era. You also have to put yourself in that era. Angle would be a way different wrestler in the 70s because styles that weren't created yet. Harley Race could get anyone over in his era and he invented several very common moves. His job was to make it real. Angle's is too make it entertaining. I'm not saying either is better here. I'm just saying it's a different time. What you know is that by your idea of overall, Angle is the best, but what about people that like wrestling to seem like real competition? They would like guys like Karl Gotch or Lou Thesz. Guys that like fast paced non stop action might like the luchadores.

And for the last time. I had seen those matches and many other Hogan matches from that era. He was a decent carry job but not a wrestling God. I never even said he sucked. He did what he had to do in the WWF and made the industry huge doing it. Smarks like me accept Hogan.