Author Topic: is KDAY still around?  (Read 1118 times)

BigBDrugStores

is KDAY still around?
« on: September 06, 2006, 02:15:02 PM »
because i never hear people talk about new things on KDAY, only classics and old shit.

Intriago33

Re: is KDAY still around?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 02:20:15 PM »
It's online- http://www.barnabasroad.com/station=kday-fm1.html

you can tune in right now.

Crip2Nite: South Central LA's HoOdSTAr

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 02:45:49 PM »
^^ yup

I used to listen to it when it first came bacc online, but I think it was bought out and now only has a limited playlist that it plays with the exception of the 12 o' clocc throwbacc mix they do....When it first came bacc on it had old skool music hip hop/rap music mixed in with a couple of traccs from today's music....Now it's today's music mixed in with one or two cuts from bacc in the day every 6 or 7 songs...K-Day is ass, at least in morning and afternoon hours  :(..somebody should find the program director of that station and beat their ass

LOL...U Mad? Fag :laugh:
Fuck that fake ass crip Crip2nite.  Gets on my nerves how some people on these forums

guncoke

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 03:26:44 PM »
^^ i just tuned onto kday right now and they are playing that new gunit song hands up

the music they play is probably what is most requested. i just checked their website and saw the list that says KDAY MOST REQUESTED and it shows all that new shit on there.

http://www.935kday.com/index.shtml

rik

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 03:27:06 PM »
KDAY is whack now. I never listen to the radio but when I did I use to listen to KDAY. Now no radio for me.

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 03:28:45 PM »
i'm mad at kday... they haven't been playing right music these days. They said they'll never comericals anymore, but they lied and all bullshit.

It was better when kday never came back. Hate to say it because i was kday listener big time...but they playing too much commericals and wack tracklist.
i do love their west coast wednesday. HAH.
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 04:52:29 PM »
^^ yup

I used to listen to it when it first came bacc online, but I think it was bought out and now only has a limited playlist that it plays with the exception of the 12 o' clocc throwbacc mix they do....When it first came bacc on it had old skool music hip hop/rap music mixed in with a couple of traccs from today's music....Now it's today's music mixed in with one or two cuts from bacc in the day every 6 or 7 songs...K-Day is ass, at least in morning and afternoon hours  :(..somebody should find the program director of that station and beat their ass

Damn.....when it first came back, I was in Florida, and my homeboy would call me three times a week with a story bout KDay. "Man, it is sooo dope!!! All they play is classic, mostly west coast, and they play new west shit nobody else would play!!!" and I got back for the summer and heard it, and was happy as hell that we had somethin like it. But I ended up being in L.A. for this entire summer, and I couldn't tell if I was listenin to KDay, Power 106, or 100.3 before they went R&B. They were playin a LOT more commercial shit than anything else, and even though they would play a few tracks that nobody else would, it wasn't really much.

So damn, did it really get bought out? If so, I wouldn't be suprised at all. Yeah the 12 o clock mix plays diff shit, but usually it just feels like I am listenin to BET videos on radio.

Pushinbigbody00

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • RIP DJ SCREW / FREE TWISTED BLACK
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 09:52:08 PM »
^^ yup

Man, I noticed that too..I used to have it online all day..and they WENT OFF, some of the best radio I had ever heard...its gone ALOT more mainstream now, then it used to be...And Julio G's show aint been the same since they started bringin him on early in the afternoon... :(
check out my 90's vinyl bargain bin..tons of classics & rare ish for the low!

http://www.discogs.com/seller/pusherman972

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 10:27:08 PM »
Yea, KDay was good when it first came back a couple years ago, they only started playing commercial shit very recently...

Brown Guy

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I type with my dick so forgive me for the typos
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 08:12:35 AM »
kday is the shit

Crip2Nite: South Central LA's HoOdSTAr

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 10:19:10 AM »
^^ yup

Damn.....when it first came back, I was in Florida, and my homeboy would call me three times a week with a story bout KDay. "Man, it is sooo dope!!! All they play is classic, mostly west coast, and they play new west shit nobody else would play!!!" and I got back for the summer and heard it, and was happy as hell that we had somethin like it. But I ended up being in L.A. for this entire summer, and I couldn't tell if I was listenin to KDay, Power 106, or 100.3 before they went R&B. They were playin a LOT more commercial shit than anything else, and even though they would play a few tracks that nobody else would, it wasn't really much.

So damn, did it really get bought out? If so, I wouldn't be suprised at all. Yeah the 12 o clock mix plays diff shit, but usually it just feels like I am listenin to BET videos on radio.

I remember hearing that they were bought out by another company, but I was unable to find any info about it....I did find this site(http://stylesmedia.com/company/press.htm) that sorta of gives you an idea of why they may have switched up formats.....

"93.5 KDAY/ 93.5 KDAI are now part of a new privately held broadcast entity called Magic Broadcasting/Styles Partners lead by CEO Don McCoy. The new partners include LA radio veteran and previous KIIS-FM GM and Clear Channel Market Manager, Roy Laughlin."

^^ If you know about Kiss-FM and the type of music they play and how Clear Channel markets their radio stations, then that's kind of a clue...The quote is as recent as May of '06....

I almost never listen to the radio, but when I did it was usually KDAY, but even they have sold out to the new commercial rap era...They used to play a lot of underground and mainstream WestCoast old skool music from bacc in the day mixed with some of today's down south music, but money talks I guess, so now it's bacc to Yahoo Music

LOL...U Mad? Fag :laugh:
Fuck that fake ass crip Crip2nite.  Gets on my nerves how some people on these forums

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 10:25:37 AM »
KDAY was resurrected as an FM station in summer 2004, with a new campaign "Hip-Hop Today and Back in the Day." During its first few weeks, KDAY aired continuous music with no commercials and no disc jockeys. Shortly after, KDAY signed on some of Southern California's most popular DJs, including former West Coast female rapper rapper Yo-Yo, The Baka Boyz and Julio G, all of which previously were at KKBT. Today, as its campaign suggests, KDAY plays a variety of hip-hop and R&B from the 2000s,1990s, and 1980s.

In April 2006, KDAY began moving away from a Urban leaning direction to an Rhythmic Contemporary Hit Radio| approach as the station refocuses its target audience towards African Americans. This was probably in response to long-time hip-hop/R&B station KKBT dropping hip hop from the format in favor of becoming a mixture of urban adult contemporary and urban talk radio, similar in format to KHHT and KJLH. KDAY's most direct competitor is probably KPWR, which seems to target predominantly Hispanic listeners. In addition, KDAY brought Steve Harvey on board on Memorial Day weekend 2006. Harvey had been released by KKBT the previous year; ironically, Tom Joyner, a friend of Harvey's, is now the morning host there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDAY

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 10:30:53 AM »
Not that I listened to it, but 100.3 The Beat (previously 92.3) also switched up their format and now they're basically an R&B station. Their new slogan is "the Best in Today's R&B and Classic Soul"...Like I said, I haven't listened to the radio in the longest, but about 10 years ago when The Beat was still at 92.3, they were one of the most respected Hip-Hop stations...It's ridiculos how shit changes, look at their current playlist:

http://www.thebeatla.com/playlist.asp

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 10:54:02 AM »
KDAY was resurrected as an FM station in summer 2004, with a new campaign "Hip-Hop Today and Back in the Day." During its first few weeks, KDAY aired continuous music with no commercials and no disc jockeys. Shortly after, KDAY signed on some of Southern California's most popular DJs, including former West Coast female rapper rapper Yo-Yo, The Baka Boyz and Julio G, all of which previously were at KKBT. Today, as its campaign suggests, KDAY plays a variety of hip-hop and R&B from the 2000s,1990s, and 1980s.

In April 2006, KDAY began moving away from a Urban leaning direction to an Rhythmic Contemporary Hit Radio| approach as the station refocuses its target audience towards African Americans. This was probably in response to long-time hip-hop/R&B station KKBT dropping hip hop from the format in favor of becoming a mixture of urban adult contemporary and urban talk radio, similar in format to KHHT and KJLH. KDAY's most direct competitor is probably KPWR, which seems to target predominantly Hispanic listeners. In addition, KDAY brought Steve Harvey on board on Memorial Day weekend 2006. Harvey had been released by KKBT the previous year; ironically, Tom Joyner, a friend of Harvey's, is now the morning host there.

Damn....my homeboy was saying the same thing, but we didn't know the facts for sure. When we saw that The Beat had changed it's format, he was saying that KDay was probably trying to take the place of The Beat and/or Power as they were on top in the 90's, and that they would have to change up the format in order to be #1.

I guess it makes sense financially, but the hardcore fans they could have had aren't going to be down for it like that. But I know that the younger crowd (13-18) probably likes it better this way.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 11:13:28 AM »

Damn....my homeboy was saying the same thing, but we didn't know the facts for sure. When we saw that The Beat had changed it's format, he was saying that KDay was probably trying to take the place of The Beat and/or Power as they were on top in the 90's, and that they would have to change up the format in order to be #1.

I guess it makes sense financially, but the hardcore fans they could have had aren't going to be down for it like that. But I know that the younger crowd (13-18) probably likes it better this way.

The frequencies for KDAY suck where I live anyways, sometimes it gets so bad that there is no signal whatsoever...Radio stations operate in a pretty awkward fashion, in a way it's almost like they evolve...Power 106 started as a dance/top 40 station and The Beat started as a classical station....

What happened to "where hip-hop lives"? How 'bout "blazing the most hip-hop and r&b"?? :'(