Author Topic: Nas Says 'Hip-Hop Is Dead' Could Be His Best Album  (Read 375 times)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Nas Says 'Hip-Hop Is Dead' Could Be His Best Album
« on: September 11, 2006, 02:35:51 PM »
Nas says his greatest work is ahead of him, but the veteran rapper said his fans will intimately determine if he latest album Hip-Hop Is Dead reigns over his classic albums like Illmatic (1994), It Was Written (1996), God's Son (2002), Stillmatic (2001) and others.

"It's probably the best record I ever did," Nas said. "I mean, when you work in the studio for a while, sometimes you think it's great, but you don't know what it is until the people hear it. So I hope the people agree."

The Queensbridge, NY rapper signed a joint venture deal with Def Jam/Sony Music in January 2006, ending a long-running feud between he and Def Jam president Jay-Z.

The two rappers engaged in a lyrical feud which exploded with Jay-Z's 2001 diss track 'The Takeover'. Nas answered with the equally scathing reply, 'Ether'.

The two men settled their differences in Oct. of 2005, when Jay-Z brought Nas out for a performance during his "I Declare War" concert at Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, NJ.

Under terms of the Def Jam/Sony Music union, Nas will produce four albums, with Hip-Hop Is Dead being the first release on his own label, the Jones Experience.

The rapper hinted that fans may finally receive the long-awaited collaboration between the lyrical giants.

"I'm just with Def Jam," Nas said. "I haven't worked with anybody but myself. A little bit of work with Jay-Z, just for the fans out there and just for us."

Nas said Hip-Hop Is Dead will be available to retail outlets on Nov. 7.

In related news, Jay-Z is expected to release an album of new material later in the year, but Def Jam representatives would not confirm or deny the information.

Boo-Yaa †

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Keep the Faith
Re: Nas Says 'Hip-Hop Is Dead' Could Be His Best Album
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 02:39:27 PM »
props on the info!

Looking forward to this!

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 02:44:20 PM »
Sorry, I love Nas, but dude is snortin' way too much. This is a ridiculous claim, even for hip-hop standards.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

fptz

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 02:52:39 PM »
After hearing him on that Kelis joint, I strongly believe he should put the mic away right now while he still has some dignity.

MidoriHaze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 03:33:32 PM »
This is a ridiculous claim, even for hip-hop standards.

Yeah it's all marketing, it's not as though he'd say 'the new album isn't as good the old but go check it out anyway'. Most artists will say that prior to a release, personally i find it a very tiresome sycophantic statement.
"People in New York won't bug you. It's so great." - John Lennon (RIP)

Diabolical

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 04:19:29 PM »
I can't wait to hear it either way.

Dubz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 04:23:56 PM »
well what's he supposed to say if he wants to move units? "yea, well, this album is aight but you know there were a couple better ones... illmatic... god's son, knamsayin tho this is still a tight one."?

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 04:37:11 PM »
"I haven't worked with anybody but myself. A little bit of work with Jay-Z, just for the fans out there and just for us."

Interesting that he said he's not working with anybody else.  A bit contradictory as we've heard reported elsewhere that he's working with Michael Jackson / Will.i.Am etc.  Now maybe he's not counting Will as it's reasonable that he produced a record on wasn't featured.  This makes it sound like he's keeping his features to strictly Jay.

Yeah it's all marketing, it's not as though he'd say 'the new album isn't as good the old but go check it out anyway'. Most artists will say that prior to a release, personally i find it a very tiresome sycophantic statement.

Yeah no doubt.  Nobody is gonna say their upcoming album is wack.  But look at this - when he dropped an album titled "Stillmatic", that was a pretty boisterous claim.  Now, imo it wasn't as good as Illmatic, but it was a damn good album.  So hopefully Nas isn't completely speaking out of his ass.

As I've said before, I have NO idea what to expect from this album.  Nas & Jay could put out a classic here, or they could drop the exact same tired bullshit that everybody else is releasing.  With a title like "Hip Hop is Dead", it can be interpreted several ways.  

By the way Detox, where did you get this?  Props for posting.

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »
Watch this be his worst effort to date.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 07:32:35 PM »
every rapper, especially Nas, says that their new album is the best album of their career.

J Bananas

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 08:59:34 PM »
i'm speculating 12% more listenable than young joc's album 

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 11:50:13 PM »
funny if his albums falls short...it would live up to his title. HAHA
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 02:43:48 AM »
"I haven't worked with anybody but myself. A little bit of work with Jay-Z, just for the fans out there and just for us."

Interesting that he said he's not working with anybody else.  A bit contradictory as we've heard reported elsewhere that he's working with Michael Jackson / Will.i.Am etc.  Now maybe he's not counting Will as it's reasonable that he produced a record on wasn't featured.  This makes it sound like he's keeping his features to strictly Jay.

Yeah no doubt.  Nobody is gonna say their upcoming album is wack.  But look at this - when he dropped an album titled "Stillmatic", that was a pretty boisterous claim.  Now, imo it wasn't as good as Illmatic, but it was a damn good album.  So hopefully Nas isn't completely speaking out of his ass.

As I've said before, I have NO idea what to expect from this album.  Nas & Jay could put out a classic here, or they could drop the exact same tired bullshit that everybody else is releasing.  With a title like "Hip Hop is Dead", it can be interpreted several ways.  

By the way Detox, where did you get this?  Props for posting.

http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6122

WestCoasta

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 02:45:57 AM »
what the hell, "Hip Hop Is Dead"   :stupid:

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 05:14:49 AM »
well what's he supposed to say if he wants to move units? "yea, well, this album is aight but you know there were a couple better ones... illmatic... god's son, knamsayin tho this is still a tight one."?

exactly. he fucking knows nobody's gonna like it better than Illmatic, but what is he to do...