Poll

Which of the following will represent the next signature sound of the West, even if it's 3-5 years away?

Something that sounds very resmniscent to the 90's G-Funk, but just a grown up version. It will be just as laid back.
12 (19%)
Something that will grow from hyphy, and have more of a dance feeling to it, and may be more bare sounding than musical
2 (3.2%)
Something that will be sample based that may evolve from what the midwest and east are doing right now...but will have something distinct about it
4 (6.3%)
Something that will sound completely unique as the Neptunes and Timbaland did when they came out
2 (3.2%)
Something that won't really sound G-Funk, but will have strong west coast related elements mixed with elements of other coasts
16 (25.4%)
Whatever Dre does on Detox!
27 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: The next signature sound of the West Coast will be......  (Read 767 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
The next signature sound of the West Coast will be......
« on: September 16, 2006, 03:11:10 AM »
As of now....most of us will agree that the G-Funk sound of the 90's is outdated, although we still associate the west coast sound with having elements that were major parts of G-Funk...mainly the basslines, high strings and synths, claps instead of snares, and 95-100 BPM tempo. 

However, many of us would agree that for the west coast to come back and really be "back" on the scene, we will have to have a sound that may or may not remind everyone of our old style, but just something that will set us apart. Personally, I'd think this time may be 3-5 years away, because a sound usually takes a while to catch on and to evolve into something that everyone in a region catches on to, unless something just comes out that is hella different but still hot.

So which of the following do you feel will represent the next "Signature sound" of the west coast, meaning L.A., Bay, and everything else? For it to be signature, it will have to have a sound that people will say "damn....that's a west coast beat" as soon as it comes on, just as we know a Lil Jon beat is Down South, and as a Premier beat is East coast.

1. "Something that sounds very resmniscent to the 90's G-Funk, but just a grown up version. It will be just as laid back."
-I'd say this would best describe the songs that have the typical west coast vibe, but didn't have all of the elements of the 90's G Funk.
Examples: 213 - "Run up on us", Daz's "DPG for life", DJ Quik "Black Mercedes", Ice Cube "Smoke some weed"

2. "Something that will grow from hyphy, and have more of a dance feeling to it, and may be more bare sounding than musical"
-Before people start.....I'll say that the hyphy songs I talk about are NOT the ones that sound like Lil Jon rip offs...but the ones produced by Rick Rock, Trackademicks, Traxamillion, Droop-E, E-A-Ski (aside from Hell Yeah), and a few others. These songs have their own identity in my eyes, and they don't sound anything like the old west, the modern south, east, or midwest. However...it would take a few years for the entire region to identify with this sound, and it would have to get a lot more radio rotation for people to identify this sound as being "west coast". Some of these songs do have elements of the older west, and some do have southern influence...but it's strong enough to gain it's own identity.
Examples: E-40 "Tell me when to go" "Muscle cars" "Yay area", Keak da Sneak "Super hyphy" "White T-Shirt, blue jeans, nikes", The Team "Bottles up" "Hot in here" "Hyphy juice", Too Short "Blow the whistle", Federation "Hoes in here" "Hyphy" "Go dumb" "Only wear my white tee once", Snoop "Candy"

3. "Something that will be sample based that may evolve from what the midwest and east are doing right now...but will have something distinct about it"
-I don't really have a way to describe it, mainly because it's more of an idea or prediction than something that's been done. But basically....just any sort of sound that will be sample based, but just flipped or used in a way that separates it from the east and midwest. For example...the same way that Shareefa ft. Ludacris song is sampled, but has a down south vibe....something could be sampled, and it would either carry a west coast vibe or sound like something different that other west coast producers just follow.
Examples: Closest one I can think of now is Ice Cube "Growin up" because of how the bassline goes with the sample. Also Warren G "Get you down"

4. "Something that will sound completely unique as the Neptunes and Timbaland did when they came out"
-I have heard a few beats that were by west coast producers, mainly L.A. ones, that just had a completely different sound that may have had a few elements from here and there, but still had their own identity. For L.A. producers, these songs would be as many of the hyphy tracks are in the Bay, that are hot but don't sound much like anyhing else out. This sound would come from producers who would go outside the box, and then have others "bite their style" or follow their lead.
Examples: NV - Fuck that (Prod. by Golden Eye), Too Short "Keep bouncin"

5. "Something that won't really sound G-Funk, but will have strong west coast related elements mixed with elements of other coasts"
-I'd say that the main producers who've done this in the last few years would be Scott Storch and Lil Jon, who obviously aren't west coast producers, but have made beats that have catered to the west while keeping elements of the south and east. Many of these songs are dope as hell because of this, and it would make west coast songs adaptable to any region. These songs tend to have basslines mixed with heavy kicks, and many of them keep the high pitched synths and strings...but they sound different from what I put for #1 because they usually don't have as laid back of a vibe, and they sound more club or street sounding than some G-Funk.
Examples: Eastwood and E-40 "Bay To L.A.", Daz "Git drunk", Sly Boogy "That's my name", Snoop and Ice Cube "You gotta a lotta that", Ice Cube "Why we thugs" and "Child support", Crooked I "Boom Boom Clap", Too Short "Sophistocated",

6. "Whatever Dre does on Detox!"
-Simply as it says.....to some people, Dre's current sound does represent a "west coast beat", but many people feel that these beats are more east coast just because of the darker elements...but regardless, the fact that his current sound is current, it probably won't have a chance to be seen as the next strong sound for the west coast. But from hearing beats such as "Don't get carried away", I'd assume that the Detox sound will still have that darkness to it with the hard strings and pianos, along with sharp snares or hard "In da club" claps versus the old school claps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally....it's hard for me to decide which one of these sounds has the best chance of being the "next" signature sound of the west. It would be an obvious choice to go with #6, but I think the west needs to stop waiting and depending on what Dre does in order to progress. Certain producers and songs from the hyphy movement definitely have the strength to carry the west coast and evolve into whatever it wants to...but the Bay and it's artist are being dicked out of the chance to have an impact in the mainstream right now, even after "Tell me when to go" broke through. #1 makes a lot of sense, but it would have a harder chance of breaking through if it doesn't get pushed hard by mainstream, because they sound "too west coast" for some people outside of the region to get into, unlike many songs in #5 that immediately appeal to anyone because of how the elements can hit different audiences.

And just to add..........many people feel the west coast sound doesn't need to change...but the fact remains that for most people outside the west, and even for many on the west, the label of a "west coast beat" almost implies that a beat sounds outdated or has a throwback feel, and many of us will agree that the west does need to come with a newer sound because the other regions have changed their sound various times in the last 10-12 years, with many different styles still having a regional label to them.

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
Re: The next signature sound of the West Coast will be......
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 04:31:03 AM »
That's really a hard choice here, but I gotta say that the you've displayed the most reasonable (and probably only) paths that will be taken, production wise, in the future.I agree that the west needs to stop depending on Dre, but if Detox does come out, I'm almost certain that it will have some impact on the West Coast sound.What I WANT is the west to have a totally new sound, something unheard, doesn't matter if it relies on samples or creativity.I really can't judge hyphy, cause I haven't been paying much attention to it, but the most reasonable thing to say is that the new west sound will evolve from Hyphy or it will be like #5 (which I'm voting for)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 05:07:05 AM »
I went with number 5: "not G-Funk, but a strong West Coast sound combined with elements from other coasts". Bishop Lamont's "Up & Down"-beat is a nice example of what I mean: it has a clear West Coast vibe but it's far from G-Funk. Storch can come up with some really nice beats if he wants to.
On the other hand, I like what New West producers like Dem Jointz or Dae One are doing, but their sound reminds me of "G-Funk with a twist". I'm feeling it, but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. In my opinion, music should always develop. G-Funk was the sound from the 90s, and if we wanna hear that sound, then we can listen to those albums (Foesum, The Twinz, etc...). As for now, the West really needs something different.
That beat on the last Relativez album (I think the song is called "Gangsta". It was the last song, the one with Mitchy Slick & Young Hootie) was pretty banging too! If the West Coast's new sound would sound like Storch's latest beats and that "Gangsta" song, I'd be extremely satisfied.

Good topic btw.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 05:09:30 AM by CRAFTY »

Davizz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Keep It Fonky
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 06:46:27 AM »
I think it will sound more like the South, that's my opinion.

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 09:14:00 AM »
I voted for #1. Just because the whole laid back flow is the reason i started listening to West Coast rap. And i love DPG fo live from so so gangsta. I hope will be something like that with a laid back flow.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 10:46:51 AM »
That's really a hard choice here, but I gotta say that the you've displayed the most reasonable (and probably only) paths that will be taken, production wise, in the future.I agree that the west needs to stop depending on Dre, but if Detox does come out, I'm almost certain that it will have some impact on the West Coast sound.What I WANT is the west to have a totally new sound, something unheard, doesn't matter if it relies on samples or creativity.I really can't judge hyphy, cause I haven't been paying much attention to it, but the most reasonable thing to say is that the new west sound will evolve from Hyphy or it will be like #5 (which I'm voting for)

I feel u a lot on that. If you do have a chance to peep the songs I mentioned that are hyphy, you will see that they do have a completely different sound that did evolve from the old west as well as elements from the south, but it's still strong enough to be seen as it's own. But yeah, I do want the west to come with something new as you said.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 10:50:33 AM »
I went with number 5: "not G-Funk, but a strong West Coast sound combined with elements from other coasts". Bishop Lamont's "Up & Down"-beat is a nice example of what I mean: it has a clear West Coast vibe but it's far from G-Funk. Storch can come up with some really nice beats if he wants to.
On the other hand, I like what New West producers like Dem Jointz or Dae One are doing, but their sound reminds me of "G-Funk with a twist". I'm feeling it, but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. In my opinion, music should always develop. G-Funk was the sound from the 90s, and if we wanna hear that sound, then we can listen to those albums (Foesum, The Twinz, etc...). As for now, the West really needs something different.
That beat on the last Relativez album (I think the song is called "Gangsta". It was the last song, the one with Mitchy Slick & Young Hootie) was pretty banging too! If the West Coast's new sound would sound like Storch's latest beats and that "Gangsta" song, I'd be extremely satisfied.

Good topic btw.

Yeah I forgot to mention "Up & down" but that's exactly the sound I'm talking about. Scott's current sound definitely evolved from Dre and the 2001 sound, so even though most people may call his style East Coast, it already has west coast elements and it isn't hard for him to make beats that sound west coast....but being that he's not a west coast producer, they don't sound outdated or old school at all. Yeah...I do like it when producers do the "G-Funk with a twist", but the only bad thing about it is that it isn't different enough to make people like it who are already tired of G-Funk. And I will peep that Relativez song, I've never heard it.

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 10:52:43 AM »
hey, you should check audio sections in this forum..you different types of beats from different producers...
one day, one of them may change the game.
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

J Bananas

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 10:53:59 AM »
im kinda anticipating the "signature" sound to be a little more stripped down, that way it gains easy recognition by a casual listener. of course not to say that all these different styles wont exist, thats why the westcoast is sick we got a little bit of everything. but for some kid in ohio to be watchin tv and go "oh thats westcoast", it will probably need to be like a slowed down hyphy beat with a simple little melody or somethin, i dont know we could all be wrong and the next sound will be built off ethnic music samples, all i know is i like the direction west coast productions are heading in fuck the haters

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 11:00:54 AM »
I like the Sound that Terrace is bringing..its fresh!!! (Shake that Shit , Joysticc)... Josef is good too and i  think that if u listen to these two productions, u'll have a a taste of the new signature sound...or second option would be to wait until Dre comes up with something new and people will bite it

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 11:02:16 AM »
The whole Trauma album was #1...The Westcoast sound should adapt the sound from that album.

The shit was someting new and fresh but still had lots of G-Funk and sounded very 'westcoast'

suckaa free

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 11:49:57 AM »
the west coast should sample songs from The Gap Band, Kool and the Gang, and The Ohio Playaz.

S.J

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 11:57:51 AM »
I hope its number 1, I like those type of tracks best
But I'm a do it like this so your crew will know
Tie your leg to a car, tie the other to a pole
Talk shit and laugh cause I got the gift of gab
Hop in the car, hit the gas, watch your ass split in half
-Rappin Ron

soopadoopaflykid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Iguess
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 12:03:56 PM »
The whole Trauma album was #1...The Westcoast sound should adapt the sound from that album.

The shit was someting new and fresh but still had lots of G-Funk and sounded very 'westcoast'

I completely agree I think more producers should be goin for that sound or to have more dept in the musical sense

Tha_Blaq_Sinattra

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 03:51:37 PM »
I'd say #5 but they'll also do #1 and possibly #2 as regional type joints and for fun.

www.tagworld.com/thablaqsinattra