Author Topic: What are your thoughts on this poem?  (Read 309 times)

Sikotic™

What are your thoughts on this poem?
« on: September 20, 2006, 11:39:14 PM »
This Be The Verse
By Phillip Larkin

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

J Bananas

Re: What are your thoughts on this poem?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 11:55:13 PM »
no santanas town but its got a couple hot lines

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 04:52:41 AM »
Pretty shitty poem, imho.  The guy should just kill himself to break the cycle.  My parents kept me safe and raised me when I couldn't take care of myself.  Thank god they were there!

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 05:28:04 AM »
I agree, people suck. Fuck kids too. My parents fucked up in many ways while raising me. Things that I can see now but couldn't see when I was a child, and now I can't change them no more cause my personality is set. I also see my brother fucking shit up unintentionally while raising his kids. I'm sure at least 95 percent of parents suck at raising children in one way or the other. Children suck too. They are dumb, ungrateful pieces of shit. I hate people.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 06:21:07 AM »
The poem is crap if I am being totally honest, seems like it has been written by someone in their early teens at best.

Sikotic™

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 03:32:37 PM »
Pretty shitty poem, imho.  The guy should just kill himself to break the cycle.  My parents kept me safe and raised me when I couldn't take care of myself.  Thank god they were there!
Well, they obviously fucked up somewhere along the line.

Larkin is a great modern poet. Just because some of you are too slow to understand the message behind his words (I think 7even gets it), don't blame him.

If you think the purpose of the poem is to put his parents on blast, then you either only read the first line or you're a fucking idiot.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 04:14:31 PM »

Haha you asked this boards opinion and i gave you my opinion, dont be acting as though people dislike it because they dont understand it, the meaning of the poem is obvious it still doesnt make it a good poem. I personally don't like it you do, I am not judging you for liking it so move on away from judging when people dislike it.

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 04:29:50 PM »

Haha you asked this boards opinion and i gave you my opinion, dont be acting as though people dislike it because they dont understand it, the meaning of the poem is obvious it still doesnt make it a good poem. I personally don't like it you do, I am not judging you for liking it so move on away from judging when people dislike it.
lol I'm not pissed that some people don't like it. I just don't think the majority of people understand it and they're judging it based on their ignorance.

Now if you GET IT, and you don't like it, that's all kool and the gang. However, there's no way you can dispute its truth though.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

ecrazy

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 02:59:34 AM »
Great Poem....but who is to say you do not learn from your parents "fuck ups" and "Faults" and change the way you raise your child? My Parents Misery was not passed onto me, i heard all about it, but i never experienced anything my parents had to go thru (according to their account).....
I think its flawed at that point, Misery is handed down, but it can be forgotten as well.

REGIME MOB 510

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 05:06:26 PM »
the dude who wrote this poem needs to
1.  get a bad bitch and fuck the shit outta her
2.  get an ounce of grand daddy purple weed
3.  have a stack of 100s in his pocket
4.  drive to the club and get to mackin
and stop acting so damn depressed.  people really need to learn how to enjoy life, if you sit around and act pissy all day, your obviously gonna be down, but if you go out and make an effort of having fun, you'll enjoy life to the fullest.  sikotic, i hope your not depressed, snap out of it.  and a blunt of the good shit will only make you feel better.

Sikotic™

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 12:57:58 AM »
sikotic, i hope your not depressed, snap out of it.  and a blunt of the good shit will only make you feel better.
Far from it my man, but thanks for the concern.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 06:36:32 AM »
This Be The Verse
By Phillip Larkin

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

Interesting, that's a very thoughtful poem.  I used to keep a journal regularly back in the day and it made me realize that I was following certain patterns in my life, and that those patterns were actually the patterns of my parents.  Realizing that I was able to make adjustments, and ultimately I forgive my parents and I am grateful for the things they have done for me.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 03:12:25 PM »

Larkin is a great modern poet. Just because some of you are too slow to understand the message behind his words (I think 7even gets it), don't blame him.

If you think the purpose of the poem is to put his parents on blast, then you either only read the first line or you're a fucking idiot.

no shit - I am at least twice as intelligent than you.  What you're trying to explain to me, I caught from the poem and I moved past it when I was 16.  I'm now 27.  If at 16 I was more intelligent than you are now, imagine how superior my intellect must be at the age of 27.   

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 07:41:40 PM »

no shit - I am at least twice as intelligent than you.  What you're trying to explain to me, I caught from the poem and I moved past it when I was 16.  I'm now 27.  If at 16 I was more intelligent than you are now, imagine how superior my intellect must be at the age of 27.   

"Wah wah wah, I'm a little bitch with a baby dick who writes essays while saying nothing"

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 07:52:01 PM »

superior enough to vote for bush
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll