Author Topic: Sony AU exec says PS3 price is a "great value" - calls 360 & Wii unaffordable.  (Read 294 times)

Trauma-san

... in the same interview.  Somebody explain the logic of this to me.  the guy says that the price point won't hurt PS3 sales, then a couple paragraphs later says that Microsoft won't make any money this fall in Australia because it (and the Wii) are too expensive. 

?  What the *FUCK* are these guys smoking over there?  It's like a play or some shit. BY THE WAY, the top two spots on the game charts in Australia right now are both Nintendo Pokemon' games. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159583.html?tag=latestnews;title;3

Sony AU boss: we will own the holidays
Top Sony exec in Australia says PS3 delay won't hurt the console; says pre-order cancellations are nearly nil, releases solid figures on peripheral sales, claims PS2 will slay competition near-term.
By Randolph Ramsey, GameSpot
Posted Oct 10, 2006 12:24 pm PT

SYDNEY--The PlayStation 3 launch delay from November 2006 to March next year in Australia and other PAL territories will not hurt the console's success in the long run, Sony Computer Entertainment Australia and New Zealand Managing Director Michael Ephraim (pictured, at right) says.

Speaking with GameSpot Australia, Ephraim said that while missing the peak Christmas trading period was "not ideal," it would have no long-term affect on Sony's quest to remain number one in the console race. The delay hasn't even hurt pre-orders in Australia, Ephraim said.

"It [the PS3 launch delay] hasn't helped. But what we know from retailers is that almost no PS3 pre-orders have been cancelled," he said. "It is not ideal--I'm not kidding myself. But, it's the battle, it's not the war."

Ephraim said, "The war for a generation of a console takes place over five or six years. And we think this delay over Christmas is unfortunate and not ideal, but in the long run we don't think it will play a significant role at all."

Ephraim also downplayed the PS3's high cost, saying early adopters were getting a value-for-money, future-proof console. "It is up there, we don't deny that, but you have to realise that PS2 launched at AU$749 in Australia. And if you look at inflation alone in the six years since the PS2 launched, and then you add in all the new technology--the cutting edge technology like Blu-ray and so on in the PS3--it is great value for money," he said.

Despite the availability of the Xbox 360 and the December launch of the Nintendo Wii in Australia, Ephraim is expecting it will still be a PlayStation Christmas locally in 2006. Ephraim says the PlayStation 2 will dominate Christmas console sales in Australia, forecasting up to 200,000 units being sold between now and the end of December. In fact, Ephraim says the PlayStation 2 will sell more units than either of its next-generation competitors between October and December 2006 this year.

"We think PS2 numbers are going to be huge. Between now and Christmas we're going to put in between 150,000 and 200,000 consoles," Ephraim said. "We think the PS2 is going to be the number one seller full stop by units."

"I don't see Microsoft shifting those numbers, not even close," he said. "At AU$649 [for a 20GB Xbox 360 bundle], there are only so many consumers that have that kind of money. You don't do the mass numbers till you hit a price point--we know that historically from PS2 and PS1 that when they were launched at AU$699 and AU$749.

In June 2006, the PS2, which has sold 2 million units in Australia so far, was reduced in price to AU$199.95. Ephraim says PS2 sales have experienced massive growth since the drop, with the two months of sales after the drop showing a 443 percent increase over sales in the two months previous.

Ephraim said Sony's Christmas 2006 marketing push would focus on social games such as the SingStar, Buzz, EyeToy and Guitar Hero franchises. Dubbed "Party Starters," Ephraim says Sony will spend close to AU$3 million this Christmas season to promote the console and its games.

Sony today also released figures showing impressive numbers for its peripheral products. According to Sony Computer Entertainment, sell-though data, 265,000 sets of SingStar microphones have been sold in Australia, as well as 300,000 EyeToy cameras, 130,000 sets of Buzz quiz buzzers, and 25,000 Guitar Hero guitars.

"We have a lot of respect for Nintendo, but with a December launch, how much stock are they going to get at a AU$400 price point? What is the consumer offering? So I don't think anyone will do more units than a PS2 this year."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 03:18:56 PM by Overseer »

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Finally, some local news, lol......

All exec's talk shit and up their systems but this dude speaks some truth!! Favouritism aside, 5-6 years down the line, the PS3 will become more affordable and thas when their sales will sky rocket. The DS & PS2 will look more appealing to parents than the 360 & the Wii come christmas.

Ephraim said Sony's Christmas 2006 marketing push would focus on social games such as the SingStar, Buzz, EyeToy and Guitar Hero franchises. Dubbed "Party Starters," Ephraim says Sony will spend close to AU$3 million this Christmas season to promote the console and its games.

Singstar, Buzz, EyeToy & Guitar Hero are big games here in NZ and across the ditch (Australia), I have yet to get Guitar Hero.

lol, ^^ m8, show the rest of the Aussie chart..........As you can see, it's basically a 2 horse race down under, and it'll be the same once all 3 next-gen systems are out. The Kiwi, Aussie & US charts are all that matter to me..........forget Japan (where the Wii will reign supreme).

PS.....The All Blacks will shit on France, Scotland & England next month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 03:32:09 PM by Nutty »

Don Seer

sony seriously are up their own arses this time around.. they've been talking some insane shit...

that "europe doesnt mind" shit has me riled

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Lets not forget that Guitar Hero is no longer a sony exclusive, 360 version is coming out Spring 07..  8)

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

jeromechickenbone

Lets not forget that Guitar Hero is no longer a sony exclusive, 360 version is coming out Spring 07..  8)

Stop lyin...I had no idea it was dropping for the 360.  I dusted off my ps2 when I bought GH.  The PS2 version comes out in November correct?  Even though I'm pretty loyal to my 360, I already have the Guitar for the PS2 so i'll likely purchase GH2 for the PS2.

Trauma-san

Finally, some local news, lol......

All exec's talk shit and up their systems but this dude speaks some truth!! Favouritism aside, 5-6 years down the line, the PS3 will become more affordable and thas when their sales will sky rocket. The DS & PS2 will look more appealing to parents than the 360 & the Wii come christmas.

Singstar, Buzz, EyeToy & Guitar Hero are big games here in NZ and across the ditch (Australia), I have yet to get Guitar Hero.

lol, ^^ m8, show the rest of the Aussie chart..........As you can see, it's basically a 2 horse race down under, and it'll be the same once all 3 next-gen systems are out. The Kiwi, Aussie & US charts are all that matter to me..........forget Japan (where the Wii will reign supreme).

PS.....The All Blacks will shit on France, Scotland & England next month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, to you, the Japan charts don't matter, just the others where you perceive sony as having an advantage.  Aren't you intelligent enough to notice that you turned something subjective into something objective? I could just as easily tell you that the Aussie charts don't matter, the Japanese charts are what truly matter, that would be my objective opinion and would be every bit as valid as yours. 

By the way, break it down for me again, who has the top 2 slots on the Australian charts? 

Plus, lets break this down further.  What system has ever won a console race as the highest priced selection? Answer: None.  What system has ever won the console race through sales 3 and 4 years down the pipeline? None.  Console wars are won in the first year or two.  Sony will do well, but they will not match their ps2 numbers, and they will not win this console war.

DreSnoop00

• Muthafuckin' Don!
This should definitley be an interesting console war

The PS3 prices seems pricey to me, which is why I won't get one yet, plus I prefer to have two systems for the same price (Wii and xbox 360)

When it comes to "great value" or price is when the ps3 is compared to other pricer things.
The current blu-ray dic player is about $1000, so if you get the ps3 you get a video game console and that blu ray player, which is a great deal
but this all depends on what you have
I don't have an HDTV yetso I'm not going to worry too much about this

In november the 360 will have a $200 add-on which is the HD-dvd player, which is the competitor of blu-ray and is optional, this is kind of nice, because when I get an HDTV,it'll cost me just $200 for the player and then i'm set

One thing I want to do though, is try to reserve a ps3 to purchase, then sell is on ebay for a much higher price and make some profit
but I heard that sony is only going to have 400,000 distributed and a lot of places are telling me they might not even have pre-orders

Bomb-Aź

that interview made no sense....only an idiot would by a ps2 over a 360 or wii...theyre making a big mistake business-wise not releasing it for christmas...and it is expensive no matter what the execs say...the inflation bullshit wont fly

peace

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
No.....the Japanese charts dun really matter to me
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 05:35:04 AM by Nutty »

Bomb-Aź

^^ why should any chart matter really...its a personal choice....even if the wii tops every chart in the world i won't buy it because it doesnt appeal to me...some one else may hate the 360 and not buy it no matter how many people around the world do

peace

Bomb-Aź

Stop lyin...I had no idea it was dropping for the 360.  I dusted off my ps2 when I bought GH.  The PS2 version comes out in November correct?  Even though I'm pretty loyal to my 360, I already have the Guitar for the PS2 so i'll likely purchase GH2 for the PS2.

Tracklist for Guitar Hero 2

1. Opening Licks
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
Danzig - Mother
Cheap Trick - Surrender
Wolfmother - Woman
Spinal Tap - Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight

2. Amp-Warmers
Kiss - Strutter
Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box
Police - Message in a Bottle
Van Halen - You Really Got Me
Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son

3. String-Snappers
Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench
Alice in Chains - Them Bones
Iggy Pop and the Stooges - Search and Destroy
Pretenders - Tattooed Love Boys
Black Sabbath - War Pigs

4. Thrash and Burn
Warrant - Cherry Pie
Butthole Surfers - Who Was in My Room Last Night
Mathew Sweet - Girlfriend
Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knockin'
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

5. Return of the Shred
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of
Primus - John the Fisherman
Sword - Freya
Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation
Aerosmith - Last Child

6. Relentless Riffs
Heart - Crazy on You
Stone Temple Pilots - Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart
Stray Cats - Rock This Town
Allman Brothers - Jessica
Jane's Addiction - Stop

7. Furious Fretwork
Anthrax - Madhouse
Living End - Carry Me Home
Lamb of God - Laid to Rest
Reverend Horton Heat - Psychobilly Freakout
Rush - YYZ

8. Face-Melters
Avenged Sevenfold - Beast and the Harlot
Suicidal Tendencies - Institutionalized
Dick Dale - Misirlou
Megadeth - Hangar 18
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

peace

Don Seer

guitar hero is coming for wii too..

jeromechickenbone

Tracklist for Guitar Hero 2

1. Opening Licks
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
Danzig - Mother
Cheap Trick - Surrender
Wolfmother - Woman
Spinal Tap - Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight

2. Amp-Warmers
Kiss - Strutter
Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box
Police - Message in a Bottle
Van Halen - You Really Got Me
Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son

3. String-Snappers
Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench
Alice in Chains - Them Bones
Iggy Pop and the Stooges - Search and Destroy
Pretenders - Tattooed Love Boys
Black Sabbath - War Pigs

4. Thrash and Burn
Warrant - Cherry Pie
Butthole Surfers - Who Was in My Room Last Night
Mathew Sweet - Girlfriend
Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knockin'
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

5. Return of the Shred
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of
Primus - John the Fisherman
Sword - Freya
Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation
Aerosmith - Last Child

6. Relentless Riffs
Heart - Crazy on You
Stone Temple Pilots - Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart
Stray Cats - Rock This Town
Allman Brothers - Jessica
Jane's Addiction - Stop

7. Furious Fretwork
Anthrax - Madhouse
Living End - Carry Me Home
Lamb of God - Laid to Rest
Reverend Horton Heat - Psychobilly Freakout
Rush - YYZ

8. Face-Melters
Avenged Sevenfold - Beast and the Harlot
Suicidal Tendencies - Institutionalized
Dick Dale - Misirlou
Megadeth - Hangar 18
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

peace

Props man.  That looks like a great track list.  Very good variety - I wonder if they'll censor some of those songs, esp "Killing In The Name Of" which says "Fuck u i wont do what u tell me" about a dozen times at the end.

Digital Pimpin'

Sometimes I wonder if Sony's PR department is run by Microsoft.

Chief

sony seriously are up their own arses this time around.. they've been talking some insane shit...

that "europe doesnt mind" shit has me riled

i thought europe wasnt huge on x-box?