Author Topic: Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft all release their quarterly financial statements.  (Read 125 times)

Trauma-san

In the past few days, all the major game companies released their financial statements.

Nintendo made $460 million dollars in the past 6 months profit. 

Sony's gaming division  lost $368 million dollars in just the past 3 months.  They blame this on ps3 development costs, but amazingly Nintendo made almost half a billion dollars profit in 6 months WHILE developing the Nintendo Wii and the DS Lite.

Microsoft lost $96 Million dollars in the past 3 months in their gaming division.

Once again, Nintendo is the only company in the gaming industry intelligent enough to actually make a profit with their business. 

Microsoft is also bragging that they've now sold 6 million 360's around the world since it's launch a year ago..  Nintendo on the other hand mentioned they've sold almost 7 million copies of New Super Mario Bros. in the past 5 months. 

Don Seer

another story on the same thing... loving the pic they made..

"Feel sorry for Sony. This year's been tough. Real tough. Combine console delays with exploding batteries and you get blood letting. For the last quarter (ending September 30th), profits were down 94 percent, but interestingly PSP and PS2 earnings remained "relatively unchanged." Nintendo, or the Bizarro-Sony as the kids like to say, is pwning all. The DS continues to print money, and the company isn't losing cash on the GameCube 1.5 (AKA, the Wii). Good time to buy Sony stock at bargain basement prices, wouldn't you say? Heh"

Trauma-san

No, actually I'd wait another 6 months or so to buy the bargain basement sony stock, lol if you buy it now you'd probably lose money.  Everything Sony is doing is losing money right now, with the exception of their movie division.  Microsoft is borderline cut-and-run on the Xbox experiment, they've lost billions of dollars since inception a few years ago. 

MIC

Everything Sony is doing is losing money right now, with the exception of their movie division. 

Actually, their movie division is losing money too.

Sony Films may have done a good deal of boasting recently about its record number of No. 1 openings this year, but in actual dollars and cents, it fared poorly, according to the parent company's latest quarterly filing. In the quarter that ended on Sept. 30, Sony reported a $129-million loss in its film business, partly the result of such flops as Zoom and All the King's Men but also because of the increasing costs of producing and marketing all of its films as well as declining DVD sales.

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-10-26/#3

stu·pen·dous

Please don't tell me you're comparing the cost to make a Wii verus a PS3.

It wasn't only Sony Computer Entertainment America who lost all that money, it was SONY the entire company fool.

Sony Corp.'s group net profit for the fiscal second quarter totaled $14 million, dwindling from $239 million over the same period the previous year, the Tokyo-based manufacturer said Thursday.

An extra cost of $429 million
related to a global recall of 9.6 million Sony laptop batteries was a major factor behind the sharp drop in profit.

Almost every major laptop maker in the world, including Dell Inc., Apple Computer Inc. and Lenovo, has announced recalls of Sony lithium-ion batteries that could overheat and burst into flames.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/26/business/main2125218.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_2125218

So profits were 429 + 14 million before the laptop batteries.

PSP > DS  ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 06:46:39 PM by stu·pen·dous »

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG

I need some meaning I can memorize
The kind I have always seems to slip my mind

Trauma-san

Uh... no.  You misinterpreted and could not follow the simple logic I was presenting in the argument above.

Let me anhilate some of your arguments.  Is that how you spell it?  Maybe not.

Anyways.

I never said a wii was cheaper to make than a ps3.  I'm just showing you that Sony is spending more money than they're making, and Nintendo is making more money than they're spending.  Which is the better business strategy? 

Second, the money I quoted was only the money that Sony's gaming division lost.  I left out what the rest of their company is making or losing.  Only games are relevant for my comparison, since Nintendo only makes games and has no other companies earning or losing them money.  Wouldn't it be fair to weigh Nintendo against only Sony's gaming division?  I think so.

As for the psp, the PSP will never beat the DS, for a myriad of reasons.  One reason, for instance, is the simple fact that people don't want to sit in their fucking car or walk down the street playing some advanced graphic powerhouse like Halo or some shit on a little tiny portable screen.  Mario?  Yeah.  People want to play Mario on the run.  It's just a simple fact.  If you want to play a graphically advanced game, you want to do it on your couch.  If you want to play a game for 20 minutes, that's action packed silly and fun, then maybe you'll do it on a portable.  This is part of the reason Nintendo has always dominated the handheld market, they make handheld games.  Sony on the other hand makes regular home console games and then puts them on a little tiny screen you have to stare at for hours at a time to make any accomplishment in the game.  The two do not go together.  Nobody wants to watch a movie on their little portable system, it's just stupid.  People want to watch a movie on their couch, not walking down the street.  Sure, it sells a bit, but in the long run it's a failing strategy and Sony's profit report reflects this.

On the other hand, Nintendo's making a fucking fortune.