Author Topic: I'm still nervous about ps3  (Read 308 times)

WC Iz Active

I'm still nervous about ps3
« on: November 03, 2006, 10:46:46 PM »
I have had ps2 for 6 years and have loved it and I know ps3 is coming out and I didnt really care that much and figured I could wait a while to get it but that has all changed as of now.  Nba2k7 is my fav video game I just got it for ps2 but after watching videos for this game for PS3 I couldnt believe what I was seeing.  It was unreal, the crowd was so realistic it was scary, it honestly looked like a real game I couldnt believe how amazing it looked.  So I am now a believer in the sense that it is worth it to get the system based on how amazing the gameplay, AI, and graphics will be, however I am worried about the longevity of the system.    I guess this is my question, do you see the ps3 fading out in a couple of years like Dreamcast did or do you see it lasting a decade plus with tons if new games coming out all the time like ps2? Thanks guys.

Trauma-san

Re: I'm still nervous about ps3
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 05:43:07 AM »
Personally, Honestly, I don't see it fazing out like the dreamcast.  I also don't see it being as successful as the PS2.  The games will still come, though, I'd say it'll have as much market penetration as the Xbox did last time around.  In purchasing one, if the price tag doesn't scare you, I would only be intimidated by Sony's history of releasing flawed systems early on.  The ps1 was flawed continuously; the ps2 wouldn't play some games depending on which system you got and then the lasers would die on them.  The psp had dead spots in the screen of all the early systems; I imagine from past performance of *EVERY* console they've released that the opening day ps3's will have issues with them.  Overheating has already been noticed and documented at the Tokyo Game Show with some attendees claiming half the machines were continuously malfunctioning.

So, for me, I would not buy one because of the price, and because I don't think the early machines will be solid.  I do believe there will be plenty of good games for the system and that it will be around for a very long time, though.  So if you dont' object to the price tag, you only have to worry about whether the machine will be functionally as they say it will be out of the box. 

Technodramon

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 06:10:39 AM »
Personally, Honestly, I don't see it fazing out like the dreamcast.  I also don't see it being as successful as the PS2.  The games will still come, though, I'd say it'll have as much market penetration as the Xbox did last time around.  In purchasing one, if the price tag doesn't scare you, I would only be intimidated by Sony's history of releasing flawed systems early on.  The ps1 was flawed continuously; the ps2 wouldn't play some games depending on which system you got and then the lasers would die on them.  The psp had dead spots in the screen of all the early systems; I imagine from past performance of *EVERY* console they've released that the opening day ps3's will have issues with them.  Overheating has already been noticed and documented at the Tokyo Game Show with some attendees claiming half the machines were continuously malfunctioning.

So, for me, I would not buy one because of the price, and because I don't think the early machines will be solid.  I do believe there will be plenty of good games for the system and that it will be around for a very long time, though.  So if you dont' object to the price tag, you only have to worry about whether the machine will be functionally as they say it will be out of the box. 

Every console has some problem with the first shipments, look at 360.

Wait til March for your PS3, or you can wait in line cop one and sell it on eBay.

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 02:09:18 PM »
I have had ps2 for 6 years and have loved it and I know ps3 is coming out and I didnt really care that much and figured I could wait a while to get it but that has all changed as of now.  Nba2k7 is my fav video game I just got it for ps2 but after watching videos for this game for PS3 I couldnt believe what I was seeing.  It was unreal, the crowd was so realistic it was scary, it honestly looked like a real game I couldnt believe how amazing it looked.  So I am now a believer in the sense that it is worth it to get the system based on how amazing the gameplay, AI, and graphics will be, however I am worried about the longevity of the system.    I guess this is my question, do you see the ps3 fading out in a couple of years like Dreamcast did or do you see it lasting a decade plus with tons if new games coming out all the time like ps2? Thanks guys.

The 360 version of nba2k7 has the same graphics and is already out...

I need some meaning I can memorize
The kind I have always seems to slip my mind

WC Iz Active

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 04:29:13 PM »
^^I thought the ps3 was supposed to have better graphics then the 360 ???

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 04:38:28 PM »

Not really. Pretty much the exact same thing.

WC Iz Active

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 04:40:22 PM »

oh wow I didnt know that.  I will still choose the ps3 cause I want to stick w/ Playstation but I didnt know the graphics were equal w/ each other.  I didnt even think about the fact that alot of the systems have flaws when they first get released, so I guess the smartest thing would be wait until March or April to get the PS3.

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 04:53:51 PM »

oh wow I didnt know that.  I will still choose the ps3 cause I want to stick w/ Playstation but I didnt know the graphics were equal w/ each other.  I didnt even think about the fact that alot of the systems have flaws when they first get released, so I guess the smartest thing would be wait until March or April to get the PS3.

Oh well, i'd read up on the 360 and games coming out for it before you pay $600 for a ps3. 360 has probably the best lineups of games coming out and already has a lot of great games out. You could get a 360 and a wii for the same price as a ps3.

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 05:01:32 PM »

I dun see PS3 doing PS2 numbers either. I'm hoping they come up w/ something different for their next system.

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 09:11:49 PM »

Consoles that didn't have problems with the first shipments.

1. Nintendo Gamecube.
2. Nintendo 64.
3. Super NES
4. NES
5. Gameboy
6. Gameboy Pocket
7. Gameboy Color
8. Gameboy Advance
9. Gameboy Advance SP
10. Nintendo DS Lite (I think the original ds had some systems with dead spots like the psp)
11. Sega Genesis
12. Sega Dreamcast
13. Sega Saturn
14. TurboGraffix 16
15. Neo Geo

Many, Many, Many consoles had no problems at launch.  This seems to be something specific to sony and microsoft. 

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 09:54:24 PM »

Consoles that didn't have problems with the first shipments.

1. Nintendo Gamecube.
2. Nintendo 64.
3. Super NES
4. NES
5. Gameboy
6. Gameboy Pocket
7. Gameboy Color
8. Gameboy Advance
9. Gameboy Advance SP
10. Nintendo DS Lite (I think the original ds had some systems with dead spots like the psp)
11. Sega Genesis
12. Sega Dreamcast
13. Sega Saturn
14. TurboGraffix 16
15. Neo Geo

Many, Many, Many consoles had no problems at launch.  This seems to be something specific to sony and microsoft. 

I don't really think you can count systems that were cartridge based. There were really no moving parts in those systems and they will pretty much last forever if yo utake care of them. Now the consoles themselves are more complex with a lot more moving parts inside, which means there are more things that can go wrong, and it will eventually wear out (thats guraranteed).

That said, Sega deserves a lot of praise for the Dreamcast for so many reasons (one being how well it was built) ive had my dreamcast for about 5-6 years now and it still works perfectly. Probably my favorite system ever.

Bomb-A®

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 10:17:20 PM »

i guess five years from now when eveyone has bigscreen hdtvs you'd be able to say that the PS3 has better graphics and you would appreciate the HDMI feature but as of now....no difference....u really need a 40" or more hi-res HDTV to tell the difference between the two

that's why i got me a 360 now and i'll probably buy a PS3 around next christmas or summ

peace

Technodramon

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 10:35:03 PM »
I don't really think you can count systems that were cartridge based. There were really no moving parts in those systems and they will pretty much last forever if yo utake care of them.

Word.

But we all had to blow a lot, no homo.

lol that gun was gangsta tho killing those ducks.

Trauma-san

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 04:24:29 AM »
Was gangsta? *IS* Gangsta.  LOL I still got all my stuff.

O.K., don't count the cartridge systems.  Sega and Nintendo both released systems that were laser based and didn't have a ton of them with fuck ups in the first shipment.  Like I said, it seems Microsoft and Sony are the only two that have had that problem. 

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 04:38:39 AM »

i guess five years from now when eveyone has bigscreen hdtvs you'd be able to say that the PS3 has better graphics and you would appreciate the HDMI feature but as of now....no difference....u really need a 40" or more hi-res HDTV to tell the difference between the two

that's why i got me a 360 now and i'll probably buy a PS3 around next christmas or summ

peace

With the new update, the 360 can also display 1080p. And the hd player also got hdmi. So their pretty much the same.