Author Topic: INTERVIEW: AZ - The Format  (Read 56 times)

Damien J.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
INTERVIEW: AZ - The Format
« on: November 07, 2006, 08:18:43 AM »
by Yo! Raps Magazine - www.yoraps.com

Longevity is one of the key things in the game of hip hop. A lot of artist come and go, while some last until the end of time. For AZ, he lasted long. Over ten years to be exact. It’s hard to believe, “Sugar Hill” was in 95. The Brooklyn born rapper has steadily honed his craft and laced us with classic albums. He then became Nas’ co-partner and seemed to be on the verge of being an upper echelon rapper. Somewhere along the lines things soured between Esco and AZ with no explanation.

Even though he doesn’t get the same pub as his counterparts, AZ is still putting it down. This time with his latest album, “The Format”. This latest album comes with a new situation. Koch Records. He’s done his thing on the major labels and is now going the independent route. We caught up with AZ to hear his side of things. How’s the game treated him? What’s his favorite album? And so fort. No need to tell you anymore, check out what AZ is saying...

You’re a rapper who has been in the game for awhile but gets overlook. How does that feel and how do you deal with that knowing that you put in the time on the mic?

At the end of the day it is what it is. I’ve put my work in. Some people get their recognition early in the game; some get it late in the game. I know at the end of the day as long as my work is authentic people will pull through. Eventually I’ll get my respect that I’ve earned.

Is that a tough pill to swallow in this rap game? Because you have done so much and still get slept on?

I don’t stress anything. I know everything is caught up in perception and a lot of hands is caught up in conception and not reality. A lot of people are caught up in the bling and the cars and things of that nature. So they [people] don’t really know the difference between real artist and entertainers. In time everything reveals itself.

What would you say is the difference between a “real” artist and an entertainer?

Entertainers come and go at the end of the day. A real artist is going to maintain his craft. I said it in one of my songs. “I survived the two routes/two separate games”. To me real artist know how to put the boots on and hoody up and get ready for the drought. You see it somewhat now. A lot of brothers are saying that damn, the South is killing right now. There shouldn’t be no complaining, strap up and maintain and wait until everything blow over. If you a real artist you’re going to always fine away to maintain and hold yourself down.

You’ve dropped a few albums that true hip hop heads can appreciate. Which album would you say was your best? Why?

I’d have to pick Aziatic. I think that album, because I said everything on that album. This was a time when Nas and Jay-Z had their mishap or whatever. That album was right on the edge at the end of the day. I touched on everything whether it was big or small. The production was tight; everything was serious on that album.

The new album is called, “The Format”. Why that title?

I felt when I was doing this album, I set the format for survival and that’s why people have to get this album. I came with this one on so many angles. And at the end of the day I felt like this was the proper format for putting an album together. I really feel like I’m the format of survival, whether in the streets or when I’m dropping my poetry. I drop jewels and jewels are priceless.

What can people expect on “The Format” that they might not have gotten on your first album?

On anybody’s first album, you’re just doing what you do best. Just something for people to hear you. On this new album, I can easily say I touch every topic and I’m coming from every angle. I didn’t leave no stone unturned.

You’ve got the single, “Rise & Fall” with Little Brother. How did that collaboration come about?

They were doing something with Koch and I’m affiliated with Koch so it was a family thing. Prior to that I felt their style. The music they were putting out was something that I really got in to. The last album they put out made me say wow! Once I found out we were a part of the same team I said let’s get it done. I love that record for sure.

Who else can people expect on the album?

I got my artist “Fresh” on there. He brings something new to the table. I’ve been working with him. He’s on two cuts. I got a joint with M.O.P. on there that’s serious. I also got Jha Jha from Dipset on there.

In the past you’ve been associated with a lot of major labels. Why do this new album through an independent label like Koch?

The situation I came from is the reason that I went to Koch. The major labels is just that, major. They get majority of your shit and they run your shit at the end of the day. On the independent route there is more financial game. You do have to [the financial game on the independent route] learn it and I felt like I’ve definitely learned it now. It’s more lucrative and there’s more creative control.

When AZ steps out the game for good , what would you want people to say about him?

I would want people to say, that’s a stand up dude. Poetic wise and straight across the board. He lyrically inclined to death and he do what he do. I feel like I represent New York to the fullest.

What do you think New York is missing?

I don’t feel like New York is missing shit. We just have to stand tall and wait until the storm blow over. Everybody know the South is hot right now so you just have to wait your turn. We just need to get that fluidity back on the mic. As long as we get that we back in.

- By Marlon Guild
Yo! Raps - The Game Belongs To Us | www.yoraps.com