Author Topic: News Regarding Mr. Maliks New Album  (Read 225 times)

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
News Regarding Mr. Maliks New Album
« on: November 01, 2001, 11:48:50 AM »
What up ya'll

I found this article about Mr. Malik aka Hershey L.O. Double C in the September issue of XXL.  Most will remember him from Snoops debut album, Doggystyle where he rips it on "Pump Pump." Even more will remember his contribution to Warren G and The Doggpound debut albums.  

Westcoast vet's, such as myself, will know all about his Sik Wid It colab's and various compilation appearances.

Malik got his start with Dallas Austin and Lil Jamal aka Mally G as one half of the now defunct group, Illegal.  This album had a mixed feel to it with most of its production being handled by Eastcoast producers such as Diamond D and Erick Sermon, to westcoast vet Colin Wolf who co-produced The Chronic.  (Check the credits.)

Below you will find this article on Malik and a list of tracks that he can be found on.  Please support him when he drops.  XXL gave him a bad review but thats to be expected from a bias eastcoast mag like XXL.  (Buck em!)  The West should rate the West!!!!  The East dont know nothin about the best!!!!  Ya feel me????? Trayz!

Malik - What Is Meant To Be Will Be: 1st Chapter
Record Label: One Nation's Empire
XXL Record Review, September 2001

"Malik has already seen the ins and outs of the music industry.  He even earned a Billboard award for the rap single of the year in 1993 as part of the pre-teen roughneck duo, Illegal.  Now, eight years later, Malik is ready to claim his manhood on record with his album, What Is Meant To Be Will Be: 1st Chapter.
    Although the album finds the South Carolina native engrossed in grown mans business, the majority of the tracks fail to reflect a mature musical ear.  In fact, Malik leans on the shoulders of his rap elders by constantly playing into raps new trend of spitting others
MC's well-known lyrics.  On the hook of the opening song, "Follow The Leader 2001," he stings together lines from two platinum lyricists.  "Y'll on some followin' shit/Comin' in this game on some modeling shit/Fake thugs, no love/Y'all get slugs/See me full gusto/A must though/I didn't know 'till I was drunk thoughj." The crazed 808 powered beat plays like a twilight-zoned carnival theme under Malik's lyrics, which sound more like verbal droppings instead of well-written verses.
  Malik aka Hershey Hefner, continues his scatter brained rhyme delivery on "The X-Song," where he explains his candy-coated alias by letting the ladies know he'll "melt in your mouth and then, melt in your hand."  Not sticky enough yet?  How about "I bet she never seen a young don with a penis like Teflon/I pack a nina'/in that ass I treat her like an overachiever."
  Malik is on his best lyical behavior when his hunger for sex and drugs aren't consuming him.  Check out "I'll Never Change," where he properly kicks that G shit over a beat from new jacks Chuckie Maddness and Squash, who produced nearly half of the albums mediocre tracks.
  Despite his effort to re-position himself in an older and richer rap game, What Is Meant To Be Will Be proves Malik still needs to keep putting in work.  With his new label, Malik has all the time he can afford, let's just hope the business that helped feed hm as a youth doesn't spoil his appetite.

Written By: Leah Rose

MR. MALIK APPEARANCES TO DATE:
D Shot Feat. Mr. Malik - Hustlaz And Pimps
Snoop Dogg Feat. Mr. Malik - Pump Pump
Warren G Feat. Mr. Malik - To All DJz
Warren G Feat. Mr. Malik - We Want Your Hands Up
Warren G Feat. Mr. Malik - Whats NXet

*NOTE*
Warren G spells "Whats Next" wrong in this song he did with Mr. Malik.  Listen to it and fast forward to 2:45 and listen to Warrens part.  Hes says "Whats Next, Whats Next, Whats NXET, Its Me Warren to the mutha fuckin G..."   Funny shit!

Warren G Feat. Mr. Malik And DPG - What We Go Through
A1 Feat. B Legit And Mr. Malik - Tryin To Get It
The Doggpound Feat. Mr. Malik - Cyco-Lic-No
The Mossie Feat. Mr. Malik - This And That
Mr. Malik - DJ Rectangle Freestyle
Too Short Feat. Mr. Malik And Jamal - Things Change
Snoop Dogg Feat. Mr. Malik - Purple
Mr. Malik - Big Bank (Southwest Ridaz)
Mr. Malik - Hennessee (B-Side To Malik Goes On Single)
Mr. Malik - Malik Goes On
Mr. Malik - We Ride (Mobb Tales Compilation)
Mr. Malik - Red Hot (Cell Block II Compilation)

Let me hear your thoughts on Mr. Malik.  Most people dont speak up on him, but I consider him a distant DPG member... an affiliate if anything.  

Im out, Trayz

"Peace And Dont Forget The Fuckin Hair Grease!!!"

Ax-Out
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure..
~Theodore Roosevelt

teecee

Re: News Regarding Mr. Maliks New Album
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2001, 11:56:13 AM »
That is malik on Purple, i never knew that!  
   This cat used to be tight but his work in the past 5 years has been wack in my opinion....i will definitely check his new album though.....PEACE
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Big BpG

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2001, 01:36:40 PM »
Kevin, all I can say is that you keep me in the underground scene, without that I 'd still be pumping Snoop and Dre... you got me into Kam and damn he is tight, what can I say...

-Big BpG

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05

AxleF

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2001, 02:28:50 PM »

Kevin, all I can say is that you keep me in the underground scene, without that I 'd still be pumping Snoop and Dre... you got me into Kam and damn he is tight, what can I say...

-Big BpG

Hell yea Bigg BPG.  We hold it down, ya know!  Next you need to be checkin out this other Long Beach Native by the name of Mr. Money Loc.  He has an EP out called:

Mr. Money Loc - No Fear No Pain
And a single called:

Mr. Money Loc - Imma Rolla The Maxi-Single

Hes straight Westcoast heat!!!  Just the way I like it.   Hit me if you wanna preview, then go buy it here.  ITS IN STOCK FOOL!!!
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.asp?discog=1&pfid=1838273

Trayz

Ax-Out
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure..
~Theodore Roosevelt

Big BpG

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2001, 02:35:13 PM »
Yea that song dedication was tight homie.... so i showed some respect and copped the album.... like tha eastsidaz say.... i luv it.... good song straight from the LBC, Kev keep posting here aiight, keep the WC-Underground on the scene with Gate Won

-Big BpG

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05

Mr_Loc

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2001, 01:43:51 AM »
Sup Axle, real good to see some other folks with some West Coast knowledge in here, i get kinda tired reading thread after thread about Dre and snoopy. anyway...

hell yea Mr Malik is back at last, i had been wondering what had happened to him since he got offa Sick Wid It. Dude is tight, i have all those songs you posted - oh yea he also features on that Monica track 'Like This and Like That' from a while back.

i still remember his SWI album cover advertised in the source, it was gonna be called 'The Last Don'.

infinite59

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2001, 01:59:11 AM »
NXET... Fuck that.  Warren G spelled it wrong on purpose... it's just to add style and flow... Everybody makes a big deal about that shit.

gFuNkA

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2001, 02:21:14 AM »
i got a video from Jamal & Malik aka Illegal titled "Back in the Days" or so...it features Snoop, Daz, Kurupt etc. in the end...will try to rip it from vhs to my pc.

Gate Won

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2001, 02:16:33 PM »
I was n2 ILLEGAL bak n the day.....
was diggin his later shit as welll....
seen he was signed 2 SIK WID IT and had ads
4 his album n magazines 4 hella long....
i was pissed when it didnt drop......
thanx 4 the news....i been wondering
http://gatewonproduct.cjb.net

"Without struggle, there is no progress...."

"In order to hold a man down, u must also stay down with him"

"If You Make It To the Top, Don't Forget To Send That Elevator Bac Down"

teecee

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2001, 02:32:46 PM »
Warren even admitted he spelled that shit wrong, its all good, he just didn't notice cuz it flowed right.  Oh well, i know Keith Murray has spelt shit wrong on two different cuts, so who cares...