Author Topic: Top 100 American Movies  (Read 962 times)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: Top 100 American Movies
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 10:00:06 AM »
well its hard to judge number 100 if you dont know number 1.

It'll probably be Citizen Kane.
good movie, but i dont think its a number 1

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 11:51:04 AM »
probably the old scarface but i doubt they'll have al pacino's scarface on there, critics don't really like that movie

Wasn't that big a fan of either. Pacino's Scarface is a cult classic but doesn't have the depth to compare it to something like the Godfather. Our generation will always look more fondly upon it because it was one of the firstfilms we saw as kids that we weren't supposed to see. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't Raging Bull or something of that calibre.

I completely agree

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 08:14:36 PM »
well its hard to judge number 100 if you dont know number 1.

It'll probably be Citizen Kane.
good movie, but i dont think its a number 1

I'm not sure if I'd put it there either but it usually gets the spot on lists like these.

Also it's hard to see the genius of this film if you're looking from 2007. It's one of the handful of films that changed film-making forever, and it was way ahead of it's time. Look at the other films from '41 and see how far ahead Kane was. It didn't win Best Picture but films ahead of their time rarely do. You don't see that genius until you look back after a few years.

Luke

• 'G'
  • Roll To Every Station Wreck The DJ
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 12:10:41 AM »
i saw the godfather and scarface right around the same time...i wasn't able to watch those things when i was younger so when i turned 17 i watched them...so i don't really fall under the "scarface is the first movie we saw we weren't supposed to"....so being as i watched them at the same time...i still have to say...i enjoy scarface a lot more than the godfather. the godfather movies are amazing...i own all 3 of them and they are classics in my book...but scarface tops them for me

HD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WCCWF Champion
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 06:29:34 AM »
why is this list so special? aint 95% of the movies that come out american?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 07:13:09 AM »
i saw the godfather and scarface right around the same time...i wasn't able to watch those things when i was younger so when i turned 17 i watched them...so i don't really fall under the "scarface is the first movie we saw we weren't supposed to"....so being as i watched them at the same time...i still have to say...i enjoy scarface a lot more than the godfather. the godfather movies are amazing...i own all 3 of them and they are classics in my book...but scarface tops them for me

Scarface may be more enjoyable. I find the average Chuck Norris film more entertaining than 12 Angry Men but I'd never say Missing in Anction is a better film than the Syd Lumet classic. I always enjoyed Hit Em Up over Dear Mama, but I always felt Dear Mama was a of higher quality. Is this the same way you like Scarface or do you think it's superior film-making in the artistic sense?

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 01:43:04 PM »

Scarface may be more enjoyable. I find the average Chuck Norris film more entertaining than 12 Angry Men but I'd never say Missing in Anction is a better film than the Syd Lumet classic. I always enjoyed Hit Em Up over Dear Mama, but I always felt Dear Mama was a of higher quality. Is this the same way you like Scarface or do you think it's superior film-making in the artistic sense?

i think it was gene siskel talking about the gangster genre of movie.he said, the godfather is like an opera...every shot is suppose to be striking important moment...you can freezeframe any scene and it's beautiful and when he was talking about  scarface (al pacino's) there's only a few scenes made to benefit the art of the movie. The begining and the end of the film i believe. the rest was shock value or overdramatacized comentary on the drug underworld.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 02:29:44 PM »

i think it was gene siskel talking about the gangster genre of movie.he said, the godfather is like an opera...every shot is suppose to be striking important moment...you can freezeframe any scene and it's beautiful and when he was talking about  scarface (al pacino's) there's only a few scenes made to benefit the art of the movie. The begining and the end of the film i believe. the rest was shock value or overdramatacized comentary on the drug underworld.

It was a Reagan-era film showing all of the Americans how bad drugs (and cubans) are. Yet they somehow made it cool to be the drug lord, so they had to go back to the drawing board and realease film after film making the druglord more of a villain. They had to make the guys fighting the drug lords cool, like they did with Miami Vice.

Jakubs

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 11:04:25 PM »
List has been updated to include selections 51-75.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:24:57 PM by Da Supa Bears »
AKA: bdjac, Da Bears, Fonksta, Return Of Da Bears, Da Supa Bears, Da Bulls, Jake

swangin and bangin

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 11:58:10 PM »
#53 was a really good movie. we were suppose to read that book in english class so i went out and rented the movie, but on the final i got screwed, it asked whats the differnece between the movie and the book.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 11:50:19 AM »
why is this list so special? aint 95% of the movies that come out american?

Well that was a dumbass comment, you American by any chance?

everlast1986

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 11:51:41 AM »
Apocalypse Now #90? BS

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 12:01:33 PM »
I have a feeling Full Metal Jacket will be top 25. I'm surprised the Wizard of Oz isn't on the list already though. That must mean it's gonna be pretty high as well.

Jakubs

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2007, 12:52:50 AM »
List has been updated to include selections 26-50.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:25:36 PM by Da Supa Bears »
AKA: bdjac, Da Bears, Fonksta, Return Of Da Bears, Da Supa Bears, Da Bulls, Jake

Jakubs

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 07:24:09 PM »
List has been updated to include the top 25.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:25:58 PM by Da Supa Bears »