Poll

Who came with the most heat between 97 and 01?

DJ Quik
31 (48.4%)
Battlecat
8 (12.5%)
Dr. Dre
20 (31.3%)
Too close to say
5 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: DJ Quik vs. Battlecat vs. Dr. Dre from 1997-2001.....  (Read 1254 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Re: DJ Quik vs. Battlecat vs. Dr. Dre from 1997-2001.....
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2007, 04:57:29 PM »
Uh, I wouldn't doubt that dre's ideal r and b/jazz record would be able to match the quality of quik's. funk is his first love and that's exactly why he doesn't do it: it's too EASY for him, I didn't want to put it so brutally but all the shit that all those cats are doing is just so easy to dre. he seems inconsistent to to us cause he ain't doin what we want. he's not making the chronic again, not because he can't but because he wants to do something else. meanwhile quik updates safe and sound, way 2 fonky, rhythmalism also cause that's what he wants to do which is also dope as fuck but you can't deny it's less ambitious...just an artistic itch. for all we know, dre has a few more doggystyles and chronics and even 2001s in his vaults but he only releases the latest stepts of his evolution.

also how is quincy more talented than dre? i do not know quincy's material as well as I know dre's so that could be a perfectly accurate assesment, I'm just asking.

and i don't know man, the more i compare quik to Roger and G Clinton, the more that comparison makes sense to me...maybe not compare him to Jim brown (he was something else, though I prefer parliament/clinton) , but he is a very funky and musical dude.

also....can someone hook up dre's beats for bad boyz? i've never heard them....are they dope or what?

i don't evn know that quik is more musicall inclined than dre(any verification on him playing bass or any instrument for that matter?), dre's shit is simpler and sparser not due to lack of musicality but because he's learned that less is more. Quik just still uses mad layers. To me doggy dogg world is but one example of dre's musical mastery of layers and melodies and such...I suppose quik and dre both have good understanding of the less is more concept..for example, isn't quik's down down down almost purely drum and bass? that shit is sick an dre's ask yourself a question is just drum and bass with little sprinkles of guitar and keyboard here and there. but they're both sinisterly melodic beats......

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

WestCoasta

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2007, 05:01:24 PM »
i don't even know that quik is more musicall inclined than dre (any verification on him playing bass or any instrument for that matter?)

well I know there are tons of tracks Quik has done by himself with All Instruments By:

and I don't know of too many Dre tracks where he did the instruments his own

kind of dumb argument tho

PICA$$O

• Lil Geezy
  • The Best of the Best
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2007, 07:17:52 PM »
It's gotta b Quik... Dre is dope and all, but he's a piss off at times... Quik is consistent, real, always 2 the point, best producer ever, period!
Battlecat is dope too, but he aint on the same level....

QUIK --- King of WestCoast Gangsta Beat, Smooth Rhythms

D.R.E. --- King of POP-RAP, Mainstream, Studio Gangsta Beat, Classic Hits Master, Slow-Ass Muthafucka

BATTLECAT --- King of Dope Beats 4 Tha Streets, Sometimes Misses, though, But Still Is quite muthafuckin Dope
Dont HATE
And you wont be HATED
!   !   !   !   !   !   !   !   !

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2007, 07:50:46 PM »
Uh, I wouldn't doubt that dre's ideal r and b/jazz record would be able to match the quality of quik's. funk is his first love and that's exactly why he doesn't do it: it's too EASY for him, I didn't want to put it so brutally but all the shit that all those cats are doing is just so easy to dre. he seems inconsistent to to us cause he ain't doin what we want. he's not making the chronic again, not because he can't but because he wants to do something else. meanwhile quik updates safe and sound, way 2 fonky, rhythmalism also cause that's what he wants to do which is also dope as fuck but you can't deny it's less ambitious...just an artistic itch. for all we know, dre has a few more doggystyles and chronics and even 2001s in his vaults but he only releases the latest stepts of his evolution.

also how is quincy more talented than dre? i do not know quincy's material as well as I know dre's so that could be a perfectly accurate assesment, I'm just asking.

and i don't know man, the more i compare quik to Roger and G Clinton, the more that comparison makes sense to me...maybe not compare him to Jim brown (he was something else, though I prefer parliament/clinton) , but he is a very funky and musical dude.

also....can someone hook up dre's beats for bad boyz? i've never heard them....are they dope or what?

i don't evn know that quik is more musicall inclined than dre(any verification on him playing bass or any instrument for that matter?), dre's shit is simpler and sparser not due to lack of musicality but because he's learned that less is more. Quik just still uses mad layers. To me doggy dogg world is but one example of dre's musical mastery of layers and melodies and such...I suppose quik and dre both have good understanding of the less is more concept..for example, isn't quik's down down down almost purely drum and bass? that shit is sick an dre's ask yourself a question is just drum and bass with little sprinkles of guitar and keyboard here and there. but they're both sinisterly melodic beats......

Well....thing is, I listen with a jazz influenced ear, and not just a typical rap producer's ear, so I hear a lot of things that most rap fans wouldn't. With that, Quik is more musically inclined as far as his knowledge AND use of chords and techniques that are heard in Jazz and rarely heard, or appreciated, in rap. It might be easy for Dre to make a hard hittin funk banger like "Dre day"...but he's never used the musicianship that Quik's used on songs such as "You'z a gangsta" 2nd II None's "Back up off da wall" at the end of the song when they are just clownin around on the instruments..or songs like "Whatever u do" that could easily appeal to a 55 year old who hates rap. Basically, Quik's music from Safe n Sound and on basically took what Dre laid down in his early DR days, and evolved it into much more creative ways of using jazz and funk that Dre never did. So it's almost like Jordan to Vince....Jordan is the originator who still has done things Carter never did, and he made the game what it is....but Carter took many things that Jordan did and remixed them, and took it to another level that Jordan himself wasn't able to do. And as dope as "Down down down" was, it wasn't anywhere near his most creative beat.

Quincy Jones has produced millions of hits in COMPLETELY different eras and genres...and although Dre is the closest by far in the rap game, Quincy is still levels ahead of him. I mean, all I really have to say is that he produced the entire "Thriller" album, which will NEVER be topped by any regular non-greatest hits album.

I think it's a bit unfair to compare Quik to Roger and George, who both came with a sound that NOBODY had EVER heard before, and that people still love today as if it just came out.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2007, 01:07:32 AM »
Trust that I listen with not just a rap producer's ear as well, many genres over lots of time trust, and quik's shit is often more complex and he's good at it, but to me complex doesn't necessarily mean better. also, I feel dre has proven time and time again that when he wants to do complex shit he can but once more less is more more often than not.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

WestCoasta

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2007, 01:40:05 AM »
^  I don't know, aren't you the guy who abandoned rap for like 5 years?

you always be asking a bunch of simple ass rap questions too

you don't have too much clout in this discussion

Salo

• 'G'
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2007, 02:21:37 AM »
Quik came wit it, Hands Down !

XaNdEr

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2007, 02:23:19 AM »

lmao, word up  :D

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2007, 09:55:30 AM »

let's not take down tanj's actual argumentative logic, let's just attack his credibility! You a republican homey?

abandoned is a strong word. It's not like I strictly didn't listen to rap for 4 years, it's just that I got very into alot of other music for four years and didn't buy/wasn't into rap that much. I feel it's because I've listened to a lot of music over a span of time that I can speak on it, I feel I have a more educated view on it than I would have had I not gone and explored the music i did when I did. and I've been a huge quik, battlecat and dre fan for a long ass time, so fuck that clout talk.

also, i do ask alot of questions, would you rather I acted like I knew everything? Most of the time, I do know the answers to the questions I ask, I'm just double checking cause I acknowledge that I've been gone for a long time and want to make sure the info I had is still up to date. I still remember a fucking gangload and my memory gets refreshed all the time...oh and guess when I was listening to hip hop the most doggie....1997-2002, exactly the fucking time period this thread pertains to.

-T

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Family45

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2007, 08:00:45 AM »
Props to the threadstarter for this thread.

Quik>Battlecat>Dre
Menace Clan- Da Hood...Slept on classic

Raphael

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2007, 09:44:27 AM »
Dre is better overall but Quik brought more heat about that time so my vote goes to Quik.