Poll

Who came with the most heat between 97 and 01?

DJ Quik
31 (48.4%)
Battlecat
8 (12.5%)
Dr. Dre
20 (31.3%)
Too close to say
5 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: DJ Quik vs. Battlecat vs. Dr. Dre from 1997-2001.....  (Read 1255 times)

WC Iz Active

Re: DJ Quik vs. Battlecat vs. Dr. Dre from 1997-2001.....
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 07:52:39 PM »

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007, 03:18:23 AM »
I agree quik and dre are on another level.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

WestCoasta

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 03:24:44 AM »
man that's way too close to say

that is the dream team of that era

if I absolutely had to, I'd go Quik > Battlecat > Dre...... but Dre being last is a big understatement

don't forget "Jankie" and "Whateva U Want" productions too, those are insane

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 04:30:55 AM »
I'd say it's a tie between Dre & Quik. Both dropped constant dope shit at that time. Cat's stuff is solid as hell too, it's just... different. I can understand how somebody would pick him as the winner, but for me, it's Dre & Quik.

Westcoastfanatic

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 05:03:39 AM »
Dre..... Just for sick original tracks like "The Watcher" and "What's The Difference".
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

MediumL

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 06:20:54 AM »
Not gonna vote cause I haven't heard a lot of the Battlecat or Quik songs and it would be unfair to judge them. But what I do know is that Dre brought some real heat in that period. Xxplosive was on some next level shit, same with the Watcher, Big Egos and Whats the difference. X, Lay Low and Bitch Please II were also great tracks along with the eminem stuff.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Bojakabo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BOJAKaBOOOO
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 08:09:17 AM »
damn..when i saw your list...many dope songs in that period..where are they now? lol its too hard too say..but il say first quik because shit he did during this years is incredible...dre did on incredible album..but oterhwise didnt impress me that much..battlecat had really dope cuts too

Diggfinger

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 11:20:07 AM »
Great post R!! ;)

I would say DJ Quiik, based on the simple fact that Street Gospel falls into that time period. And that album is simply the best album he has ever produced, beat-wise, if u ask me....

soopadoopaflykid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Iguess
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 01:09:19 PM »
when Dre came out wit 2001 :o but only prob i see is too many peolpe bited his style soo when u hear a dre beat nowadays its kinda a let down cuz its been done soo many times but with quik i think he is by far the funkiest & musical producer in hip hop and no has ever really been able to capture his sound durin that era...soooo gotta go wit quik

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 01:21:10 PM »
dre,qui, then cat

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 06:52:29 PM »
I still can't even vote.......

Album wise....Quik dropped the most full albums that he produced entirely, along with rapping on some of them, which is a LOT harder than most people would think it is. Quik was definitely the most musically inclined. I think Battlecat came with the funkiest, bounciest West Coast beats at the time, and his style was recognizable as hell but still great. Dre was Dre, and changed the entire game up as usual. Listening to Chronic 2001, the music itself wasn't as inclined as Quik's music on Rhythmalism, Street Gospel, 2nd II None, or B&O...but the songs themselves were a lot stronger, and it just had that epic feel to it.

I'd give Battlecat points because from what I know, he does most of his beats on his own, and doesn't use any help at all. I know that producers don't always have to play every single instrument, because Dre, Quincy Jones, and John Williams are brilliant at putting everyone else's instruments together. But the fact that Battlecat did most of his beats on his own does get him a couple extra points.

But umm........I still think it's too close to say. I do think Battlecat came with the most heat volume wise, because he was fuck'n with EVERYBODY and giving them all heat, even the rappers who didn't deserve it. Quik stayed within his family, and Dre only worked with major artists and those he put on...but Battlecat was givin it to whoever had the money, and wasn't just givin em leftovers.

js83

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
Rhythmalism is the best produced album from the westcoast during that time...imo.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2007, 09:45:03 PM »
Rhythmalism is the best produced album from the westcoast during that time...imo.

I agree. I think 2001 was the best overall album, as far as songs, skits, appearances, etc. etc. but Rhythmalism was the best produced, and is probably my favorite. Any rap album that Jazz musicians such as my dad can like, even though they hate rap, has to be something SERIOUS.

Even the hidden gems on Rhythmalism were amazing...."Thinkin bout you" is one of the sickest, most different beats I've ever heard in my life. It sounds like a funked out make-up commercial or somethin seductive.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2007, 10:06:37 PM »
Rhythmalism is indeed something Special, One of the things i like about this album is that u can still play it from time to time, its the type of music that u will be able to play 30 years later, just like this song "outstanding" by The Gap Band, it still sounds fresh and new in my ears everytime I listen to it, so yeah thats what i feel when I listen to this Quik album, thats some music that wll inspire you forever, the live instruments, the jazzy feel, the subject of the songs, thats simply a great album
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 10:09:24 PM by .:Hercy Buggz:. »

WestCoasta

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2007, 11:27:45 PM »
Thinkin bout you" is one of the sickest, most different beats I've ever heard in my life. It sounds like a funked out make-up commercial or somethin seductive.

definitely one of the best tracks in hip hop history, so much goin on it's almost sophisticated

great theme, raps about the girl he once had and the girl he never had