Author Topic: New Young Buck intervew (album, hip hop is dead....)  (Read 426 times)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
New Young Buck intervew (album, hip hop is dead....)
« on: January 28, 2007, 10:57:32 AM »
Artist: Young Buck
Interviewer: Kevin Bigley

Young Buck came up with the popular group Cash Money, but launched a platinum selling career as an artist under G-Unit. He is currently signed under G-Unit Records and released his first solo album, Straight Outta Cashville. He has also been very successful on the mixtape market, as many G-Unit artists have.

In this interview, Buck lets his fans know what's good. He shares with everyone the production on his album and what his fans can expect. Buck also takes some time to talk about The Game and their exploited beef, and whether or not Hip-Hop is really dead.

SoundSlam: What's been goin' down Buck?

Young Buck: Oh nothin' man. Its been all good, you know.

Soundslam: Well, you got this album set to drop, Buck the World. When is it set to drop and what can we expect from you?

Young Buck: March 20th is when it drops, man. And you can expect the Unit to be back on top, man. You know that, and you can expect the Unit to get right back to number one with this record right here, man. It's been a long time comin'. The title of the album is Buck the World. March 20th is when it hits the stores. And you can expect that same energy from Young Buck; that same street s***. I think I've stepped my game up a lot lyrically, you know, and I got a lot of features and production. It's totally different from the whole spectrum of Young Buck. I'm as excited as my fans are. I know I'm comin' in a totally different way than people were expecting me to come. I enjoy having pressure, and carrying weight on my back. It makes me work harder.

SoundSlam: Yeah, the album sounds dope. I mean, I've heard "4 Kings" and "Do It Myself," which also sounds really good. And you're receiving a lot of good hype for the LP. So, what artists and producers did you work with on this album?

Young Buck: Production-wise, the album is crazy. It's crazy. I worked with Dr. Dre, Eminem, I worked with Hi-Tek, I worked with Jazzy Pha, DJ Paul, Justus League, a whole lot of hot producers...Features-wise you're gonna get records like the "4 Kings" record with Jeezy, T.I, and Pimp C. I got a record with me Bun B, 8 Ball & MJG together, bro. I got a record with me, Snoop Dogg, and Trick Daddy together. I got a record with me and a dude from Linkin Park, man. It's a versatile album, man. It's got something on their for everybody. My fan base has kind of grown, so I wanted to touch bases with a lot of fans who have jumped on the Young Buck bandwagon.

SoundSlam: So, you've said you've grown lyrically, which I think people can see from the stuff you've come out with on other people's albums and a couple of mixtapes. But what's the difference between where you were comin'from with Straight Outta Cashville and where you're comin' from with Buck the World?

Young Buck: I base my music around reality and real life stuff, man. S*** that I'm going through right then and there, you know. I base it around that because that's the only way you can get a true fan. They can pull something out of your lyrics and say, "Hey, I'm going through that." The only way to do that is base your music around real life issues. And for me, I've been through a lot of s*** as far as the public eye. You know, the Vibe Awards thing, the DJ incident, a lot of different stuff, man, that is like fuel to the fire of what you are about to get with this record. I've gone through a lot of record label s*** that people go through when they're feelin' the streets like I am. I'm just trying to sum it all up, that's why it's called Buck the World. I wanted to call it F*** the World, but they wouldn't let me name it that. (Laughs). There ain't no limitations with this record, man.

SoundSlam: I gotta ask you, what's up with your record label? I hear a little about this: Cashville Records. What's up with this? Who's on it, and what's your role? What can we expect from it in the future?

Young Buck: Cashville Records is what it is right now. That's my label. G-Unit South is the movement. From the beginning, I've always told 50 what I wanted to do, and he's always been supportive of me. And he was like, "Buck, man, now is the time." So, like the first artist I think I'm going to release is C-Bo, from the West Coast. He's got a real great independent following. He's jumped on board Cashville Records, and we're about to put his s*** out in, hopefully, May. Probably through Koch. He's great, man. Someone with that kind of street buzz allows it to be really easy for me to work with him. I've got my own crew, which is 615, which is the area code in Nashville. That group consists of myself, Hi-C, D-Tay, and Lil' Murda, and I'll probably do a world wide deal with them. But I'm movin' right now, and I'm movin' at a cool pace. At the end of the day, I think I'm doin' good. I'm a CEO of a company, and I've only put out one album. I'm doin' alright. I'm just lovin' this pressure. It's makin' the album better.

SoundSlam: I heard Lloyd Banks sayin' that he spent his whole life writing his first album, that's why it's difficult to write a second. You said that you liked the pressure, and it made it better?

Young Buck: Yea, I use it to drive me. I take it as if, like, they could accept me for me after my first album, then they're gonna like this one more. Because I didn't work with Dr. Dre, I didn't work with Eminem, I didn't work with the big name producers. So, at the end of the day I felt that at the end of the day the fans understood me for me. Now I'm going and working with these other artist who understand the same thing.

SoundSlam: I heard tidbits of this thing that recently happened with The Game? Like, you ran into him and his crew and they didn't do anything? Could you clear that up?

Young Buck: Yea, it wasn't that they backed down or nothing, there just wasn't no problem when we ran into each other. But, yea, we ran into each other and we seen each other. I had to see what was up with his entourage, and it wasn't really what it was. If there was a true problem, then they would have handled it. I was out numbered, you know. There were like 12 or 13 of them, and like 3 or 4 of us. If there's that much beef, then it's supposed to go down, and it didn't. So I figured, let me leave this bulls*** alone.

SoundSlam: So, what do you think about this whole "Hip Hop is Dead?" thing?

Young Buck: That's some bulls***. I feel Hip Hop is dead for those who it is not working for. Hip Hop is dead for you if you're not movin' around and your videos are getting' played, and you ain't got no shows comin' up. But Hip Hop is working' great for people like me. I think that was a f***** up statement. Hey, hold on ...

(Young Buck gets up to holler at a Breezy)

Sorry about that. These girls were lookin' fine.

SoundSlam: You know, if you gotta get up, I'm glad you got up for that...So are there any other artists out there who you're feeling?

Young Buck: I'm really diggin' Jeezy. I think Jeezy is the s***, bro. I like what Jeezy and T.I is doin'. I like what he's doin' with the Grand Hustle thing. Young Dro, you know, real talent from the South. But I'm really feelin' Jeezy. He really come from the streets for real. And I've known him before music, you know, he got a true street following. And Trick Daddy, man. I really like Trick Daddy, man. Dope s***. I really like to see the South movin', man. I wish I could see more West Coast artists get out there and like pioneers on the East Coast. Like KRS One. We need to see some of the old heads come through and lay the law down, bro. Just pop up and show them what's up. Like Big Daddy Kane. Imagine Big Daddy Kane hoppin' out a 2006 Benz in a video these days. At this point, Hip Hop is wide open because it's open for everybody. I want to see the pioneers get out there right now. Like Ice T, Ice T is an idol to me. I would love to see him drop an album.

SoundSlam: Now I gotta ask you a political question. What do you think of the whole aftermath of the Michael Richards situation? A lot of people came out and asked the Hip Hop community to refrain from using the "N-Word."

Young Buck: Stick and stones may break your bones, but words will never hurt you. That's one of the realist forms right there. Any word like that being used fits true to that statement. Like, being a "n****," we say it to some white people. I call Eminem my n****. You know, like it's the way that you use it. Just don't use it that way, we don't have to put an end to the word. Once you try and nix a word that has been in existence for so long, then you're going against freedom of speech. SoundSlam: Alright, so I heard 50 say on MTV that 2007 is G-Unit's year. Why is that?

Young Buck: Simple and plain, man. Everybody thought that we was gone. And it's like the underdogs is always on top. They thought we was gone, but we just got out the way for a little bit. We gracefully moved out of the way for this game. We knew how Hip Hop changes, it's wild. We stepped out the way to see how it is was changin' and now we're adapting to it. We can do it in any way. This s*** is ours this year. It's over.

jeromechickenbone

Re: New Young Buck intervew (album, hip hop is dead....)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 11:46:45 AM »
Like I've said before, Buck is the only core G-Unit member that I'd actually give a chance at this point.  Banks and Yayo are nothing more than 50 cent part 2 & 3. 

It's hilarious though when these rappers comment on the Hip Hop Is Dead statement.  They have no idea what Nas was saying with that statement.  How can he say it's not dead, then turn around and claim that Jeezy, TI, and Young Dro are LYRICISTS?  That's such a joke.

Also, I find it interesting that Buck is going with the features that he's going with.  Getting Jeezy, T.I, Pimp C, Bun B, 8 Ball & MJG, Snoop, Trick Daddy, and LINKIN PARK?  Those types of features tell me on thing - that 50 is getting more desperate to get a record that he perceives to be more accessible because G-Unit has been slipping HARD.  He's trying to garner some fan support outside cuz the G-Unit fanbase is dissolving quickly.

How come he doesn't hype up some features with 50, Banks, and Buck?  What about Hot Rod, Mobb Deep, Spider Loc, Olivia, Sha Money, or Whoo Kid?  It's because they know nobody's checking for those cats. 

50 desperately needs this album to be successful.  If I'm him, I drop my next album ASAP and still cash in on my dwindling fan base.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 11:59:53 AM »
Its more that theyve realized hip hop aint just GUnit. Both 50 and Buck are working with lots of people from outside the camp for their projects.

I think they both relaized from the beginning that name GUnit alone wont keep them at the top.

This is even better if you ask me, I was getting tired of them only collaborating with their in hosue producers and artists.

wcsoldier

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 12:05:47 PM »
^^^^ Em needs to understand that too..

Narrator

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 12:22:42 PM »
50 desperately needs this album to be successful. 

Not really...mostly, he just needs his own next album to be successful.  Crews in hip-hop rarely stay at the top when there's one rapper who's their focal point...like how nobody's checking for the St. Lunatics anymore even tho Nelly still sells records.  But if 50's next record doesn't do well, then yeah, that's pretty much going to signify that G-Unit is done for.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 12:35:07 PM »
Like I've said before, Buck is the only core G-Unit member that I'd actually give a chance at this point.  Banks and Yayo are nothing more than 50 cent part 2 & 3. 

kemizt

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 12:39:58 PM »
Its more that theyve realized hip hop aint just GUnit. Both 50 and Buck are working with lots of people from outside the camp for their projects.

I think they both relaized from the beginning that name GUnit alone wont keep them at the top.

This is even better if you ask me, I was getting tired of them only collaborating with their in hosue producers and artists.

LOL, spin it how you want.  Their brand isn't selling nearly as well and they're doing anything to scramble and try and stay relevant.

50 desperately needs this album to be successful. 

Not really...mostly, he just needs his own next album to be successful.  Crews in hip-hop rarely stay at the top when there's one rapper who's their focal point...like how nobody's checking for the St. Lunatics anymore even tho Nelly still sells records.  But if 50's next record doesn't do well, then yeah, that's pretty much going to signify that G-Unit is done for.

50 makes maaaaad cake from all G-Unit releases.  I don't know the exact numbers of course, but I'd be willing to bet its at least 25-50%.  Hell he still gets 25% from Game and he's on Geffen now.  I'm pretty sure he's concerned with how his artists are selling.  He's investing time and money on these artists.   Plus there were all those rumors about how Interscope was allegedly severing ties with pretty much everyone on G-Unit except for 50 because they were losing money on those releases.  Now who knows how accurate that is, but I bet there is some truth to it and no way would 50 want that to happen.

And granted, 50 can release an album and it's still gonna go platinum, but Em & Dre eat off of his album sales too.  So when he sees his brand failing, the writing's already on the wall.  That's gotta have him concerned.

The 18th Letter

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 12:44:16 PM »
Go get em' BUCK!  8)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 12:54:02 PM »
At the end of the day, 50 provided for his homies and crated them the path for cretaing worldwide known LPs on major label.

Just check Nelly and St. Lunatics, Snoop and DPG, Luda and DTP, Em and D12, Nas and Bravehearts...

And anyobody that doesnt realize that Banks, Buck, Game and Yayo did their numebrs the first time off 50s hype is a fool. Even 50 himself has said that around the time GRODT dropped, they could have released a blank cd and still go plat. Now they have to step their game up. Those are 50s words not mine.

I cant remember the last time 50 hyped a cd as much as Bucks. Wheter or not it does its numbers I think its gonna be a great cd. But still GUnit aint over till 50 flops.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 01:15:01 PM »
At the end of the day, 50 provided for his homies and crated them the path for cretaing worldwide known LPs on major label.

Just check Nelly and St. Lunatics, Snoop and DPG, Luda and DTP, Em and D12, Nas and Bravehearts...

And anyobody that doesnt realize that Banks, Buck, Game and Yayo did their numebrs the first time off 50s hype is a fool. Even 50 himself has said that around the time GRODT dropped, they could have released a blank cd and still go plat. Now they have to step their game up. Those are 50s words not mine.

I cant remember the last time 50 hyped a cd as much as Bucks. Wheter or not it does its numbers I think its gonna be a great cd. But still GUnit aint over till 50 flops.

Who's saying that G-Unit didn't capitalize on 50's name?  That's retarded.  Of course his crew was gonna go platinum of his name alone.  So with you saying that, you should be able to conclude that it's no longer the case and that they have to sustain their own sales.  Well that right there tells you that 50's name has cooled WAY off.  His artists have to do something to carry their sales cuz 50 cent's name doesn't hold near the weight it did a few years ago.

50 hypes everybodies album.  If his rah rah's are louder for Buck it's because of the lackluster sales and pushbacks G-Unit recent artists are suffering from.

50 ROYALLY fucked up in my opinion.  After GRODT dropped, he thought his fuckin shit didn't stink.  He all the sudden became a know it all and an expert on the music business.  He started dissing everybody in the industry with the theme of "I sold 10 million records, they didn't, they suck."  He KNEW he could fart on an album and it would sell.  And that's what Massacre was - one giant fart strung across a 70 minute disc.  Complete garbage.  It sold off his popularity and complete dominance coming off of GRODT.  If he would have pushed himself to make another incredible record rather than half assing something to capitalize on his popularity, him and G-Unit would be in a much better position today.  But it quickly became clear that they were all just riding the hype of 50 cent and didn't really bring anything new or exciting to the table.  So as soon as 50 cent becomes irrelevant in the public eye, so do they.  And it's happening as we speak.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 02:48:42 PM »
But again, thats a normal process. Its not like this only happens to GUnit. If anything theyre an exception for even being so sucssefull for the past 3 years.

Most leaders of the group are dreaming of the position where 50 and GUnit were and probably where they stabd right now. Because liek it or not they are still the most recognized hip hop group.

In the end we also mustnt forget that nobody is selling shit.

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 03:18:22 PM »
Buck is the realest outta the G-Unit camp, dope interview

arthurnelson88

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • RIP Buster
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 03:46:04 PM »
^^^^ Em needs to understand that too..

he sold 4million copies sayin complete bullshit, its safe 2 say Em did it, his next album tho...
I only fuck with 10's

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 03:59:36 PM »
JROME and DINC. Both y'all are sick debaters. That was a good logic spit back and forth. Props to both of you. We should have a fuckin' organized debate board in the forum, would be sick. where's that link for suggestions for dubcc that rud and nima put up?

also, as stupid as I've always felt the boutique labels were (they're just a glorified way of looking at a pyramid scheme) I realize it's cool cause it's gonna get Dre to produce for more west coast acts in the long run. In other words, if not for Boutique labels, Spider loc and c bo would not get the dre beats they're about to get. not that spider and c bo deserve them more than say Kurupt or e-40 but a continuation of such patterns seems likely to lead to other west coast artists getting dre beats again, G Unit west bitches(just a glorified way of tricking dre into being real again!) !

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Narrator

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 05:40:50 PM »
50 makes maaaaad cake from all G-Unit releases.  I don't know the exact numbers of course, but I'd be willing to bet its at least 25-50%.  Hell he still gets 25% from Game and he's on Geffen now.  I'm pretty sure he's concerned with how his artists are selling.  He's investing time and money on these artists.   Plus there were all those rumors about how Interscope was allegedly severing ties with pretty much everyone on G-Unit except for 50 because they were losing money on those releases.  Now who knows how accurate that is, but I bet there is some truth to it and no way would 50 want that to happen.

And granted, 50 can release an album and it's still gonna go platinum, but Em & Dre eat off of his album sales too.  So when he sees his brand failing, the writing's already on the wall.  That's gotta have him concerned.

Yeah, but the point is, his shit's still coming out regardless of whether Buck (or anyone else on the label) flops.  Even if Interscope hesitates to support more releases by his other G-Unit artists, they sure as hell ain't gonna hesitate to put his shit out.  I mean let's face it, his next album is pretty much guaranteed to go at least Platinum (and probably more) based on his fans alone, and the music industry being what it is, that means a follow-up to THAT album will be inevitable.  So chances are, you're gonna see at least another two 50 Cent albums get released before he falls off completely.