Author Topic: You're not a movement, you're three dudes  (Read 548 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
You're not a movement, you're three dudes
« on: March 19, 2007, 10:32:49 AM »
Division man. Every single fucking time I read an interview with a rapper they have a labelm they're part of a movment "fuck the peopel i used to be down with.." bla bla bla. The problem with rap as an industry is that there is no selflessness, no corroboration, no real teamwork. Everyone likes to feel like they're the CEO, leader of a movement and that's precisely why they're not.If everyone's doing that, you get a GANG of little organizations and groups and no big powerful ones. DR was the shit cause it was a GANG of talent of all spectrum (from suge's muscle and hustle to dre's music, doc's writing, snoop's flow, rage and kurupt's spittin etc.) all working for one cause. Now everyone I just named has their own label or has had one at some point and none of 'em are living up to their full potential.

I read the other day  BWS interview and Game's talking liek 'yeah this the movement...' meanwhile Def jam is a HUGE congregation of insane east coast talent so their smashing shit up. south, stays united, smashes shit up.

I know the west/divided versus the united/south/east idea has been brought up but I'm directly corroborating the division with everyone insisting on being the CEO of a label/leader of a movement. if everyone has a movement, none are gonna be big. you gotta know when a good leader or idea is in front of you and when to get behind something viable.

my thought:

DON'T try to start a label unless
a)you really have the means t drop albums besides yours
b)you got the chips

DON'T claim to be a movement/movement leader
a)unless you're doing something different
b)unless you're doing something huge

if people stuck to these rules, the people that really don't have the above requirements would be supporting the ones that do and a TRULY strong organization, label, or movement could result.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

MediumL

Re: You're not a movement, you're three dudes
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 12:03:39 PM »
The problem is that most rappers do think that they are something new and are revolutionary. Even the Jeezy's and Jibbs of the industry think they are revolutionary...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 12:10:58 PM »
b)you got the chips

I agree. If every rapper didn't feel like they had to be a CEO, we could probably have a big West Coast dynasty label (ex: Death Row, Ruthless).

But don't get it twisted...Dipset is a movement!
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 02:35:41 PM »
b)you got the chips

I agree. If every rapper didn't feel like they had to be a CEO, we could probably have a big West Coast dynasty label (ex: Death Row, Ruthless).

But don't get it twisted...Dipset is a movement!

not saying there aren't movements, just not as many as cats think

-T

westcoastavengers.com

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 04:08:15 PM »
i think there would be a hell of a lot more hot music if everybody and their momma didnt have to have their own fuckin label after they do some one half assed album

WestCoasta

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 04:28:51 PM »
you make some points, but in reality these days lots of guys can't work together because of money

Death Row having all those components, it worked because none of them had accomplished anything before that

these days everyone thinks they're better than the other guy, too many egos involved

you're right that there should be more selflessness but it's kinda like saying there should be world peace

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 04:54:49 PM »
you make some points, but in reality these days lots of guys can't work together because of money

Death Row having all those components, it worked because none of them had accomplished anything before that

these days everyone thinks they're better than the other guy, too many egos involved

you're right that there should be more selflessness but it's kinda like saying there should be world peace

just enough selflessness to recognize a better leader than yourself, which in the end is self serving you know?

just enough selflessness to create a big label tight like motown, DR

but i see what you're saying

-T

westcoastavengers.com

BigG

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 04:58:45 PM »
Everythingthing the threadstarter said is true.

U KNOW WHO has an up and coming MOVEMENT, its OMAR CRUZ.  He has the whole BYI and they are getting a bunch of Dope Latino Rappers and are coming out wit their own sound that is Spanish influenced. 

THATS A MOVEMENT RIGHT THERE.
http://www.myspace.com/sickeyesbeats

^^Check out my westcoast beats

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 05:00:39 PM »
Everythingthing the threadstarter said is true.

U KNOW WHO has an up and coming MOVEMENT, its OMAR CRUZ.  He has the whole BYI and they are getting a bunch of Dope Latino Rappers and are coming out wit their own sound that is Spanish influenced. 

THATS A MOVEMENT RIGHT THERE.

yeah, that's truth cause that's like latin cats representing...something different. but alot of cats are saying they're movements that are just labels, or singles, or records or whatever. it's a buzz word

-T

westcoastavengers.com

BigG

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 07:09:13 PM »
^^ yea i know whut u mean.  These so called "movements" arent even recording wit each other.  They each do their own thing.  Like BlackWallstreet.  It seems everybody is doing their own thing on that label. 
http://www.myspace.com/sickeyesbeats

^^Check out my westcoast beats

Monotone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 07:25:26 PM »
actually wasnt deathrow built off the doc, dre and suge thinking they would all run it together? but in the end suge took control...

i think artists have gotten smarter over the years, its not wrong to want to start your own label and be a ceo and give people comin up a chance to piggy back

i mean u gave 2 examples of labels that were successful...both came crumbling down....artists were signed to fucked up deals, so even though its a fad now im glad to see artists trying to step their business games up and want their own imprint

of course they will over hype the whole thing and call it a movement, just like snoop will say his new album is him best album to date every damn time lol same for any artist

its just politics!

DUB-C

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 08:03:04 PM »
Where comes from this movement thing?

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 09:40:05 PM »
The thing is though, the south and the east are selling records and getting major radio spins. A lot of the labels don't give a damn about the west coast, and if someone from the west is lucky enough to get a contract on a big label, they don't the promotion they need or money to put together a top notch album.

So, a lot of cats are turning to the independent side of things, where if you have the hustle, it can take you a long way and make you more money than any industry rapper will every see. But it's a double edged sword, because most independent west coast rappers have no idea how to market albums or finance projects either. So it's a case of signing to a major label and getting lost in obscurity or going independent and putting a shitty album out. And in the long run, at least with an album under their belts, they can do local shows where most of the revenue is anyways. No one outside of the west may hear of a particular artist, but they can make a decent living staying independent and local.

It's just the fact that everyone thinks they are doing something completely different when they aren't. Or if they are, they aren't following the current trends in music and make off-the-wall, out-of-nowhere type music, and most people don't like it. There are some fortunate rappers who actually do different music like Tech N9ne, E-40, etc. and can truly say they are different. But most just use that "different" label to get people to see what all the hype is about.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 10:39:52 AM »
The thing is though, the south and the east are selling records and getting major radio spins. A lot of the labels don't give a damn about the west coast, and if someone from the west is lucky enough to get a contract on a big label, they don't the promotion they need or money to put together a top notch album.

So, a lot of cats are turning to the independent side of things, where if you have the hustle, it can take you a long way and make you more money than any industry rapper will every see. But it's a double edged sword, because most independent west coast rappers have no idea how to market albums or finance projects either. So it's a case of signing to a major label and getting lost in obscurity or going independent and putting a shitty album out. And in the long run, at least with an album under their belts, they can do local shows where most of the revenue is anyways. No one outside of the west may hear of a particular artist, but they can make a decent living staying independent and local.

It's just the fact that everyone thinks they are doing something completely different when they aren't. Or if they are, they aren't following the current trends in music and make off-the-wall, out-of-nowhere type music, and most people don't like it. There are some fortunate rappers who actually do different music like Tech N9ne, E-40, etc. and can truly say they are different. But most just use that "different" label to get people to see what all the hype is about.

that's just the indie aspect. what about a cat like scott storch...he has a label doesn't he? What is it really doing that he couldn't just do on aftermath if he was a little more humble? What artist on aftermath doesn't have a label? can't they pyramid the money without having to establish a new company?

and I'm just saying, there aren't any big labels on the west anymore, like a def jam you know? A major label with a bunch of west coast talent dropping bombs and this is because no one is willing to work with anyone else, it's all so go for self you know? and if they would work together to make it go down like it should...they'd be in the same place as the east and south.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

XL Middleton

• Crown City Entertainment
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • www.xlmiddleton.com
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 11:09:30 AM »
Division man. Every single fucking time I read an interview with a rapper they have a labelm they're part of a movment "fuck the peopel i used to be down with.." bla bla bla. The problem with rap as an industry is that there is no selflessness, no corroboration, no real teamwork. Everyone likes to feel like they're the CEO, leader of a movement and that's precisely why they're not.If everyone's doing that, you get a GANG of little organizations and groups and no big powerful ones. DR was the shit cause it was a GANG of talent of all spectrum (from suge's muscle and hustle to dre's music, doc's writing, snoop's flow, rage and kurupt's spittin etc.) all working for one cause. Now everyone I just named has their own label or has had one at some point and none of 'em are living up to their full potential.

I read the other day  BWS interview and Game's talking liek 'yeah this the movement...' meanwhile Def jam is a HUGE congregation of insane east coast talent so their smashing shit up. south, stays united, smashes shit up.

I know the west/divided versus the united/south/east idea has been brought up but I'm directly corroborating the division with everyone insisting on being the CEO of a label/leader of a movement. if everyone has a movement, none are gonna be big. you gotta know when a good leader or idea is in front of you and when to get behind something viable.

my thought:

b)you got the chips

DON'T claim to be a movement/movement leader
a)unless you're doing something different
b)unless you're doing something huge

if people stuck to these rules, the people that really don't have the above requirements would be supporting the ones that do and a TRULY strong organization, label, or movement could result.

-T

damn right man...they always say "don't be a follower be a leader" but if everyone is a leader who will be left for them to lead? i definitely think its all about knowing your position and playing it accordingly. just because you're not the most visible frontman doesn't mean you can't play an integral part in the...."movement" hahaha...that's funny though, you right T it's like how pundits have "talking points" this is our talking point...lol
XLMIDDLETON.COM
TWITTER.COM/XLMIDDLETON
FACEBOOK.COM/XLMIDDLETON
YOUTUBE.COM/XLMIDDLETONMUSIC
MYSPACE.COM/XLMIDDLETON