Author Topic: Too Short vs Big Daddy Kane?  (Read 186 times)

ExZit

• CPG Recordz CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • COMPTONS MOST WANTED
Too Short vs Big Daddy Kane?
« on: March 25, 2007, 05:52:21 AM »
Since the 10 year memorial of BIGs passing, its been hot to discuss whoever is the greatest rapper/MC of all time..

In many of the lists, they rank the top MCs, and u see NY-legends like Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, KRS-One and Kool G Rap topping the list.

It seams like rappers true to the NY-Hip-hop culture gets more respect than rappers with another culture?

I think Too Short is up there along with theese NY-rappers... and the fact that he outsells the most of them is just another proof...

Ofcourse Short isnt a lyricist, but music to me is about FEELINGS... and u cant deny the fact that short brings that..´

I dont think Short can touch Rakim and KRS-One... but i would rank him higher than Big Daddy Kane and Kool G Rap :P

- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2006 - - -

- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2005 - - -

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
Re: Too Short vs Big Daddy Kane?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 07:21:47 AM »
I wouldn't wanna compare those two, cause they're two of my favoutires.And I think it's quite clear that when it comes to rappping/MCing $hort ain't touching none of those who you mentioned, but when it comes to the whole package, to making quality music, $hort can definately compete with them
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 07:58:20 AM »
Too $hort is one popular and wellrespected rapper that I just don't feel. No offense meant to people that do like him but his flow and voice just don't appeal to me.

Thus, it will be Big Daddy Kane.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 10:06:07 AM »
I wouldn't wanna compare those two, cause they're two of my favoutires.And I think it's quite clear that when it comes to rappping/MCing $hort ain't touching none of those who you mentioned, but when it comes to the whole package, to making quality music, $hort can definately compete with them

Yeah that's definitely it...

Many people consider Too Short, Eazy-E, Ol' D B, Afroman, and sometimes even E-40, the dopest "wack" rappers...meaning that most people don't see them as being good rappers like that, but they always make dope, catchy music, and their personality alone is better than most cats rap skills.

I definitely don't think Eazy, Short, or 40 are "wack" but I can understand why some people can't feel em like that.

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 01:04:41 PM »
Short was dope, and a legend, but even in there prime, Kane's voice alone would give him the win in this category.

BIGG-A

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "DIPPIN AN WE ROLLIN... AND WE SMOKIN ON THAT GOOD
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 02:51:02 PM »
gotta go wit short
BIGG-A
         EMPIRE RECORDINGS
               WISCONSIN

ABN

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 02:55:06 PM »
Kool G Rap writing a rap about taking a shit(not that he´s done it but if he would)>>>>>>>>>>any Too Short song. it´s crazy to compare a weak rapper(as far as skills goes)to some of the most skilled rappers in history.

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 03:11:03 PM »
Well Short was skilled in his own way, and was aware of his shortcomings lyrically. Short never wanted to really expand his lyrics, he just wanted bitches. Can u blame him?

ExZit

• CPG Recordz CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • COMPTONS MOST WANTED
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 10:05:14 PM »
The thing with Too Short is that he had a original style and was the first to do many things... like Pimpin on wax, sellin records "out the trunk", pretty much kick-started the bay area scene and introduced us to Spice-1, rappin 4 tay, Ant banks and pooh-man.. and not to forget his involvemnt with rappin on funky beats... wich were not sampled!

and he got a great carear, with a long list of platinum sellin albums.. that NOT many rappers can compete with...

i just think we should give Too Short that kind of credit that NY-rappers from the 80's gets...

... i think Short is often forgotten..
- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2006 - - -

- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2005 - - -

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 10:18:27 PM »

i just think we should give Too Short that kind of credit that NY-rappers from the 80's gets...

... i think Short is often forgotten..

At least Short is still selling 100K + units, most NY rappers from the 80's will never do that again.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:10:03 AM by floatin_above_everything »

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 10:39:44 PM »
This is like comparing apples to oranges.  Two different styles.  Each brought something different to the game.  Short ain't seeing Kane on the mic in terms of lyricism, but Short also gets points for longevity in the game without straying too far from his record making formula after all these years.

As for Short not getting enough respect in the game?  That's debatable, because he has collaborated with your favorite MCs: Jay-Z, Tupac, Biggie, Scarface, Ice Cube, Snoop and the list goes on and on. That's respect enough, in my opinion.

In the end though, I'm a fan of lyricism, so I'd go with Kane.  I like Short Dog's music, but I prefer Kane's wicked wordplay.