Poll

?

WORTHY
10 (47.6%)
WEST
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: RND 1. DUBCC'S SF GOAT: #6 JAMES WORTHY VS #7 JERRY WEST  (Read 332 times)

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
RND 1. DUBCC'S SF GOAT: #6 JAMES WORTHY VS #7 JERRY WEST
« on: April 09, 2007, 01:23:46 PM »
1. larry bird-5
2. elgin baylor-5
3. Dr. j-5
4. scottie pippen-5
5. dominique wilkins-5
6. james worthy-5
7. jerry west-4
8. clyde drexler-4
9. reggie miller-4
10. george gervin-4

VS

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: RND 1. DUBCC'S SF GOAT: #6 JAMES WORTHY VS #7 JERRY WEST
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 01:28:54 PM »
Damn, that lay-up almost looks the same...LOL. I actually have a signed version of that Worthy photo.

But yea, Jerry West, easily. Worthy was great, but West was something else...PeACe

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 01:33:45 PM »
Damn, that lay-up almost looks the same...LOL.

that's why i chose them

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 12:06:09 AM »
For SF, I would say Worthy. West was great, but he was a G 100%. Worthy is a top pure F, I mean top 5 greatest pure F dead or alive, and no matter how great West is as a b-ball player, at SF, you can't compete. West better player, Worthy better SF.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 12:14:59 AM »
For SF, I would say Worthy. West was great, but he was a G 100%. Worthy is a top pure F, I mean top 5 greatest pure F dead or alive, and no matter how great West is as a b-ball player, at SF, you can't compete. West better player, Worthy better SF.

You realize West was just as much a small forward in his day as James Worthy was, right? Nowadays we tend to look at him more like a shooting guard, but he was never primarily that.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 12:42:59 AM »

You realize West was just as much a small forward in his day as James Worthy was, right? Nowadays we tend to look at him more like a shooting guard, but he was never primarily that.

what's your beef man. Don't make me name the starting SF during the West years, oh wait, it's Baylor. Dude, in the 60's, yeah the Lakers had like 5-6 guards on their roster, so West kicked down to SF, and Baylor to PF, but for the most part, they were at their normal positions. Also, the Lakers ran a small team back then, which is why they finally won after signing Wilt, had they had Wilt in the early 60's life would have been a lot easier. But still man, I VOTED FOR WORTHY!!! One of the greatest players ever, top 5 SF no questions asked, how in the world can you be mad at that. I think his a better SF than West. That's the question, who the better SF, not better player. West in the better player, he can be a PG, SG, when needed, SF, his leadership is up there with Magic, where as Worthy was a scorer, West made people better. But as a SF, Worthy was a better SF than West was.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 12:54:24 AM »

But as a SF, Worthy was a better SF than West was.

exactly.

better player=west, no one is debating that
better sf= worthy, that is without question imo

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 12:58:40 AM »
Damn, that lay-up almost looks the same...LOL. I actually have a signed version of that Worthy photo.

West is a better player... but Worthy better at SF....
so Worthy get my vote

G. Sean Peters

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 08:39:02 AM »
West

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:31:34 AM »

what's your beef man. Don't make me name the starting SF during the West years, oh wait, it's Baylor. Dude, in the 60's, yeah the Lakers had like 5-6 guards on their roster, so West kicked down to SF, and Baylor to PF, but for the most part, they were at their normal positions. Also, the Lakers ran a small team back then, which is why they finally won after signing Wilt, had they had Wilt in the early 60's life would have been a lot easier. But still man, I VOTED FOR WORTHY!!! One of the greatest players ever, top 5 SF no questions asked, how in the world can you be mad at that. I think his a better SF than West. That's the question, who the better SF, not better player. West in the better player, he can be a PG, SG, when needed, SF, his leadership is up there with Magic, where as Worthy was a scorer, West made people better. But as a SF, Worthy was a better SF than West was.

Beef? where did beef come from, son?...I don't have a problem with you voting Worthy, I just don't understand you denouncing West as a small forward when that was one of his primary positions. West was a better player than Worthy, I don't think any Laker fan questions this. The fact that West was a better player and played small forward (in an era where he was the typical size for a small forward) means he was the better small forward. LOL. People do this thing by position too much, who they think woulda' been better suited at what position. That's not how it works! West was a small forward, he's better than Worthy, he gets the vote...Both players were great, no question, one's greatness just eclipses the other's.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 10:35:10 AM »

But as a SF, Worthy was a better SF than West was.

exactly.

better player=west, no one is debating that
better sf= worthy, that is without question imo

Without question? Then why was West damaging small forwards left and right on the offensive end in his day? He woulda' done the same to Worthy... To say Worthy was a better small forward, okay, I guess you can say it's somewhat arguable....But without question? :nawty:

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 01:45:04 PM »
IMO west was more apt to play small forward in his era because of the smaller scale of players in that era in that position, it was still developing. back then it was a transistion position between the shooting guard and the power forward. you had smaller players like west who would transition to that spot when need would be and they'd be able to get away with it due to the fact other teams were doing the same thing....starting natural shooting guards at small foward. however by the late 70's early 80's the position was starting to become more independent from the power and shooting position. IT became a more defined position.

now when i defended baylor as a power forward, it was because he helped take it from a transition position to a defined role, he gave that position IMO it's definition. West more or less just played it occasionally, and when need may of been needed....kind of like Magic at Center. Jerry West never embodied that role of small forward. James Worthy However, lived that role. he didn't reinvent it , he wasn't always necessarily the best player on the court but he lived up to every thing that position could expect from any player. Jerry west playing small forward in today's era or James Worthy's era at the 3 would leave probably a totally different legacy than what he left in his era. while IMO james worhty playing in today's or jerry west's era at sf would have left a bigger legacy than in his. so that's why i say unquestionably .

now jerry west at shooting guard would have left just as big of a mark in the 80's-00's because he was jsut THAT good at that postion. but jerry west at SF....no, not the same legacy.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 06:44:57 PM »
IMO west was more apt to play small forward in his era because of the smaller scale of players in that era in that position, it was still developing. back then it was a transistion position between the shooting guard and the power forward. you had smaller players like west who would transition to that spot when need would be and they'd be able to get away with it due to the fact other teams were doing the same thing....starting natural shooting guards at small foward. however by the late 70's early 80's the position was starting to become more independent from the power and shooting position. IT became a more defined position.

now when i defended baylor as a power forward, it was because he helped take it from a transition position to a defined role, he gave that position IMO it's definition. West more or less just played it occasionally, and when need may of been needed....kind of like Magic at Center. Jerry West never embodied that role of small forward. James Worthy However, lived that role. he didn't reinvent it , he wasn't always necessarily the best player on the court but he lived up to every thing that position could expect from any player. Jerry west playing small forward in today's era or James Worthy's era at the 3 would leave probably a totally different legacy than what he left in his era. while IMO james worhty playing in today's or jerry west's era at sf would have left a bigger legacy than in his. so that's why i say unquestionably .

now jerry west at shooting guard would have left just as big of a mark in the 80's-00's because he was jsut THAT good at that postion. but jerry west at SF....no, not the same legacy.

West didn't do anything for the small forward position? Are you kidding me? He paved the way for perimeter oriented small forwards like Larry Bird, and yes, he also helped redefine that position. I dunno where you're getting all these weird ideas...Jerry West was more of a small forward than Elgin Baylor was a power forward...PeACe

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 10:22:50 PM »
not really like i said there were smaller players already in that swing man small forward position.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 12:43:27 AM »
not really like i said there were smaller players already in that swing man small forward position.

They couldn't do the same things Zeke could...