Author Topic: when nas said....  (Read 334 times)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
when nas said....
« on: April 09, 2007, 08:45:35 PM »
"hip hop is dead".....whether this is true or not...do you all feel, this made pretty much every rapper go back in the studio and try making some old school or some new creative shit all of a sudden? whether the album will go down as a masterpeice is another question....but noone can deny the album title will be remembered for a long time....rappers have HUGE egos....(but do not ever think it is only hiphop stars who have egos)....and when nas said this, i know bare niggaz must have pissed at him....like thinkin nas calling everyone wack...they aint doing shit...this must have made some cats go back in and try something else...or just do what they doing better.....you never know but maybe nas saying this could help hiphops creativity and quality of music.... bring back cats who been missing for a while and bring in new cats who were being ingored for a minute....you never....a blessing in disguise? did nas tell hiphop to step is game up?...or did nas say hiphop is dead cuz all the legends at the wrong end of their careers....

nas is my homie for life!

pz

floatin_above_everything

Re: when nas said....
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 09:52:23 PM »
He just basically said that the game has become too commercial, and that everyone has forgotten the legends/originators.

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 03:42:36 AM »
Yeah, I basically think he meant that few people remember who started this shit, who are the originators and I also interpret it as him sayong that todays hip-hop/rap cats should step they game up, try to be original ("everybody sound the same, commercialized the game")

Props for the thread man
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

bez

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 04:20:31 AM »
The album really didnt to much to ressurect it.  Theres like 4 bangers, the rest is garbage.

Elevz

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 07:25:17 AM »
I think he was more speaking on a mental level, about hiphop being morally dead. That's not just the music; it's the people in it. Remember the truth Mos Def spoke on Fear Not Of Man (1999):

People be askin me all the time,
"Yo Mos, what's gettin ready to happen with Hip-Hop?"
I tell em, "You know what's gonna happen with Hip-Hop?
Whatever's happening with us"
If we smoked out, Hip-Hop is gonna be smoked out
If we doin alright, Hip-Hop is gonna be doin alright
People talk about Hip-Hop like it's some giant livin in the hillside
comin down to visit the townspeople
We are Hip-Hop
Me, you, everybody, we are Hip-Hop
So Hip-Hop is goin where we goin
So the next time you ask yourself where Hip-Hop is goin
ask yourself.. where am I goin? How am I doin?
Til you get a clear idea

So if Hip-Hop is about the people
and Hip-Hop won't get better until the people get better
then how do people get better?
Well, from my understanding people get better
when they start to understand that, they are valuable
And they not valuable because they got a whole lot of money
or cause somebody think they sexy
but they valuable caause they been created by God
And God, makes you valuable
And whether or not you, recognize that value is one thing

Same thing with Nas saying Hip-Hop is dead. That's from a lack of moral value. You can easily replace the Hip-Hop in the album's title with anything though, because life on a whole ain't that high on moral values right now.

However though, the great thing about such album titles is that it can mean anything you want it to mean.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 06:10:19 PM »
damn that a dope comparison...

sEeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEN tWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEn

macknlatin36

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 07:00:05 PM »
The album really didnt to much to ressurect it.  Theres like 4 bangers, the rest is garbage.

dam thats kinda harsh i thought the album was tight but i guess thats just me

anyway i believe his purpose was to awaken people to what was happening to hip hop before its too late.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 07:16:23 PM »
I think nas dropped a dope album, but it was nothing great....4 mics

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 08:37:56 PM »
Like Tommy said, at least Nas served his purpose, and maybe while alot of west coast or new age hip hop heads don't agree now, they will look back on this album one day. It's a classic not so much for the music, but for the execution of the idea.

Elevz

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 11:56:08 AM »
Like Tommy said, at least Nas served his purpose, and maybe while alot of west coast or new age hip hop heads don't agree now, they will look back on this album one day. It's a classic not so much for the music, but for the execution of the idea.

That's impossible for me to disagree with! +1

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 01:17:52 PM »
Nas raps 100% on point on this record, but he picked some shitty producers on like half of it so the replay value is greatly diminished.

he should have had PREMIER(REAL hip hop) do
Blunt ashes
Not going back,
Let there be light (or just made Kanye not make the beat sound just like 'staring at the world thru my rearview' by 2pac)
 Money Over Bullshit
Carry on tradition

cause the beats to these songs^^ are ass....the rest of the album is heat though.

anyway, yeah I do think he was saying to step ya game up to everyone, including himself and alot of his friends.

Elevz: do you really think the world is worse than it was before? IMO, the world has always had good and bad, alot of both. What makes our time special? Nothing, humans have selective memory...we remember the classics and forget the bullshit, it's why the past is rose colored.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

$Eg2$

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 01:23:30 PM »

^^^   :loco:

Elevz

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 03:07:16 PM »
Elevz: do you really think the world is worse than it was before? IMO, the world has always had good and bad, alot of both. What makes our time special? Nothing, humans have selective memory...we remember the classics and forget the bullshit, it's why the past is rose colored.

Sheiiit, you set me off.

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=141194.0

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »
props, replied

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram