Author Topic: Lyrically, what happened to Kurupt on Kuruption?  (Read 767 times)

MIAMI4LIFE

Re: Lyrically, what happened to Kurupt on Kuruption?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 05:54:53 AM »
I think Kurupt's decline started 10 years ago with Kuruption. Streetz was amazing, but lyrically, even on that album, he wasn't as good as he was during the Death Row album. Streetz was still an incredible album despite that. After Space Boogie is when Kurupt really fell off a cliff and he's been awful ever since then.

92-97 Kurupt was a beast, flawless flow, incredible wordplay, every verse was incredible, top 10 emcee

97-01 Could still make great songs and albums but you notice a change, voice sounds hoarse, flow choppy and not as smooth, mails it in on a few songs, still manages to make a masterpiece with Streetz. Songs like Trylogy and Homeboys, Kurupt sounds like the Kurupt of old, while songs like Xplosive are just embarassing

02-now Awful, tragic, unlistenable, a complete embarassment. The only good verse during that whole period is on Hi-Tek's album.

on point, 92-97 Kurupt was definitely a top 10 MC but with Kuruption the decline was starting but still that album is his best lyrically especially on the East Coast Disc he spit flames on It's A Set Up, Game, Freak It Remix, Gimmewhatchagot, I would say that album he killed most of the tracks, Streetz was lyrically a step down from Kuruption but still dope I think maybe he sacrificed some of lyrics to sharpen up his flow which was almost flawless on Streetz he rode the beats to perfection, after that Space Boogie was another step down in lyrics where he seemed to start to freestyle his verses alot and alot of them didn't really make sense or have any type of direction behind them

d-nice

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 06:08:55 AM »
I think Kurupt's decline started 10 years ago with Kuruption. Streetz was amazing, but lyrically, even on that album, he wasn't as good as he was during the Death Row album. Streetz was still an incredible album despite that. After Space Boogie is when Kurupt really fell off a cliff and he's been awful ever since then.

92-97 Kurupt was a beast, flawless flow, incredible wordplay, every verse was incredible, top 10 emcee

97-01 Could still make great songs and albums but you notice a change, voice sounds hoarse, flow choppy and not as smooth, mails it in on a few songs, still manages to make a masterpiece with Streetz. Songs like Trylogy and Homeboys, Kurupt sounds like the Kurupt of old, while songs like Xplosive are just embarassing

02-now Awful, tragic, unlistenable, a complete embarassment. The only good verse during that whole period is on Hi-Tek's album.

on point, 92-97 Kurupt was definitely a top 10 MC but with Kuruption the decline was starting but still that album is his best lyrically especially on the East Coast Disc he spit flames on It's A Set Up, Game, Freak It Remix, Gimmewhatchagot, I would say that album he killed most of the tracks, Streetz was lyrically a step down from Kuruption but still dope I think maybe he sacrificed some of lyrics to sharpen up his flow which was almost flawless on Streetz he rode the beats to perfection, after that Space Boogie was another step down in lyrics where he seemed to start to freestyle his verses alot and alot of them didn't really make sense or have any type of direction behind them

Can anyone think of a mc that has changed THAT much rapping wise? The only other one I can think of and their careers are so alike to me is Prodigy. When focused Kurupt can still make good songs. I think the battle mc in him wants to lyrically destroy a track. I have seen it on Rap City, his freestyles are str8 fire. But on a album song it seems like the freestyling makes the verses choppy. Great thread, because at one time he was becoming one of the greats. Hell Biggie said Kurupt was one of his favorites.

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 06:33:58 AM »

Can anyone think of a mc that has changed THAT much rapping wise? The only other one I can think of and their careers are so alike to me is Prodigy. When focused Kurupt can still make good songs. I think the battle mc in him wants to lyrically destroy a track. I have seen it on Rap City, his freestyles are str8 fire. But on a album song it seems like the freestyling makes the verses choppy. Great thread, because at one time he was becoming one of the greats. Hell Biggie said Kurupt was one of his favorites.

yeah that is pretty much the only MC comparible Prodigy went through a phase where he would spit verses that were not even close to rhyming really weird shit he has spit better on his album this year but not close to the Prodigy of old, the thing with Prodigy is you also could kind of sense a falloff when he released HNIC it was still dope but not the same P

d-nice

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2007, 06:40:54 AM »

yeah that is pretty much the only MC comparible Prodigy went through a phase where he would spit verses that were not even close to rhyming really weird shit he has spit better on his album this year but not close to the Prodigy of old, the thing with Prodigy is you also could kind of sense a falloff when he released HNIC it was still dope but not the same P

The similarities are crazy with them. Both fell off a bit, both's partners in crime clearly out rap them now at times (Daz & Havoc) both went to producers other than in they group to revive they career (Alchemist and Fred Wreck). Both put out "underground" albums to get a buzz back on they career a little bit. Prodigy used to spit fire back in the day. Especially his collabos with Nas and Who Shot Ya remix.

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2007, 06:59:52 AM »

The similarities are crazy with them. Both fell off a bit, both's partners in crime clearly out rap them now at times (Daz & Havoc) both went to producers other than in they group to revive they career (Alchemist and Fred Wreck). Both put out "underground" albums to get a buzz back on they career a little bit. Prodigy used to spit fire back in the day. Especially his collabos with Nas and Who Shot Ya remix.

yeah Prodigy was so cold with it back then he really defined East Coast grimy rap, I remember having debates about who was iller Mobb or Wu and I always was a fan of both but I tended to side with P cause he was from Queens, another MC who fell off kinda was Meth but not to that extent of P or Kurupt but '93-'94 Meth was definitely up there as well

d-nice

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2007, 07:11:38 AM »
Method Man made more of the songs the label wanted to hear from him. They wanted that Mary J collabo type tracks from him (the one with D'Angelo for example, although I kind of liked that song) so his music was watered down. But that was never the music he wanted to do. Kind of like how Kurupt tried to capitalize off of It's Over. By the time that came out, Jay-Z and Busta rocked songs with the kids on the chorus and Kurupt's song completely bit off that concept and it was sappy and weak as fuck.

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2007, 07:25:22 AM »
another thing that I wanted to point out is the fact that drug abuse might have been a big factor in alot of these MCs falling off, and I'm not talking weed, I don't know to what extent but years of doing hardcore drugs would defintiley have a big effect as these dudes get older

d-nice

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 07:28:41 AM »
another thing that I wanted to point out is the fact that drug abuse might have been a big factor in alot of these MCs falling off, and I'm not talking weed, I don't know to what extent but years of doing hardcore drugs would defintiley have a big effect as these dudes get older

Most def that got alot to do with it. I remember the freestyle Kurupt spit on either G-TV or Tha Alkaholiks DVD when he was on the tour bus and he was perving on something. High as a kite and that shit was not weed. ;D

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2007, 07:34:51 AM »

Most def that got alot to do with it. I remember the freestyle Kurupt spit on either G-TV or Tha Alkaholiks DVD when he was on the tour bus and he was perving on something. High as a kite and that shit was not weed. ;D

LOL, yeah I also remember seeing a cip of him with Jayo somewhere where he was defilnitely on some shit, in the middle of the beefing with Daz

d-nice

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 07:43:29 AM »

LOL, yeah I also remember seeing a cip of him with Jayo somewhere where he was defilnitely on some shit, in the middle of the beefing with Daz

Yeah I remember that one, I think they were at some club or something. Even through all that, I am interested to hear what he will come up with for his album on Doggystyle. Like he said in a interview here, he started that album off with 3 records from Fred Wreck and 3 from Mel-Man. That Westside Ridin track was fiyah, probably won't make the album though but a dope ass track.

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2007, 07:59:20 AM »

Yeah I remember that one, I think they were at some club or something. Even through all that, I am interested to hear what he will come up with for his album on Doggystyle. Like he said in a interview here, he started that album off with 3 records from Fred Wreck and 3 from Mel-Man. That Westside Ridin track was fiyah, probably won't make the album though but a dope ass track.

I still think Gotti can make some dope ass records and spit some fire at times, I liked his verse on Gangstas Pt 2 he spit 32 bars and sounded as good as he's sounded in recent years, also that Mystic River track produced by Battlecat probably won't make his album but I thought it was a nice smooth track

d-nice

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2007, 08:10:59 AM »
People sleep on that Gangstas Pt. 2 track. I was telling people about that track last year when it dropped. And other than you Luni, Tanj and a few others on this board it goes unoticed. Oh well. That Mystic River is crazy too.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:17:36 AM by D~Nice »

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2007, 08:20:22 AM »
I think alot of people remember how smooth the first Gangstaz track was and then they hear this beat that sounds like its on speed or some shit ;D

d-nice

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2007, 08:24:27 AM »
I think alot of people remember how smooth the first Gangstaz track was and then they hear this beat that sounds like its on speed or some shit ;D

I could not stand that beat at first but it has grown on me a little bit. Either way lyrically it is better than the first one to me. Much longer individual verses.

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2007, 08:29:59 AM »

I could not stand that beat at first but it has grown on me a little bit. Either way lyrically it is better than the first one to me. Much longer individual verses.

one of the few times recently when both Daz and Kurupt are on top of their game on the same track 8)