Author Topic: Lyrically, what happened to Kurupt on Kuruption?  (Read 777 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Lyrically, what happened to Kurupt on Kuruption?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 02:31:57 PM »

Unfortunately not. It was a feature they ran on the 10 hungriest new school MCs, or something like that. It was a fold-out orange cover with all of them together - Canibus was there, I think Big Pun was on it. For some strange reason I think they included Silkk the Shocker lol.

Kurupt was there, and he said something like: The only thing I ever prayed for was to be able to drop a perfect freestyle, straight off the top of my head. And I've been blessed to do that. (Something like that, I'm paraphrasing).

thanks for the info.. yeah, I remember that Source issue, I think I used to have it.  That came out when No Limit was owning the rap industry.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 12:16:15 AM »
yall hate, it aint all about lyrics... he made some dope songs on the westcoast disc... the east disc was ok... but fuck lyris -- sometimes u need good songs... and he made very good songs.. the west disc is a near classic to me

MURSFAN86

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 04:52:35 AM »
LYRICALLY, he fell off after this and has gotten WORSE rhyming the same words over and over even on Streetz he was not rapping the way he did on Kuruption even though his FLOW was still tight but ever since then he really has lost his hunger to rap, that verse on Buccem on DOGG CHIT is perfect example, horrible FLOW and LYRICS, just my 2 cents

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 06:11:12 AM »
LYRICALLY, he fell off after this and has gotten WORSE rhyming the same words over and over even on Streetz he was not rapping the way he did on Kuruption even though his FLOW was still tight but ever since then he really has lost his hunger to rap, that verse on Buccem on DOGG CHIT is perfect example, horrible FLOW and LYRICS, just my 2 cents

I made a thread about this album last week, I think it is very slept on and he lyrically was lethal on the album especially the East Coast Disc where he rips just about every track but the problem was the guest spots were suspect and so was the production on that disc except for a few bangers, I'ts A Set Up, Game, Freak it Remix, Light Shit Up are probably the standouts on the East Coast Disc and you can make an argument that lyrically this is his best solo album although I think he ripped Streetz up too. As far as Buccm I don't remember his verse but he does have a habit of repeating words in the same bar but I think he has sounded hungry of late

MURSFAN86

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 07:06:47 AM »

I made a thread about this album last week, I think it is very slept on and he lyrically was lethal on the album especially the East Coast Disc where he rips just about every track but the problem was the guest spots were suspect and so was the production on that disc except for a few bangers, I'ts A Set Up, Game, Freak it Remix, Light Shit Up are probably the standouts on the East Coast Disc and you can make an argument that lyrically this is his best solo album although I think he ripped Streetz up too. As far as Buccm I don't remember his verse but he does have a habit of repeating words in the same bar but I think he has sounded hungry of late

NOT trying to diss but if you think he sounds hungry lately maybe its because he's not EATING and doing TWEAK!

d-nice

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 07:22:20 AM »
Nothing now is going to compare or be on the same level as his Death Row material, but he has IMO been dropping some nice records lately.

MURSFAN86

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 07:34:08 AM »
Nothing now is going to compare or be on the same level as his Death Row material, but he has IMO been dropping some nice records lately.

I've lost all hope for KURUPT since about 1999 but I have been checking for him just to see if there is anything left that even resembles dopeness but I was not impressed with his performance on DOGG CHIT his verses were EMBARRASSING at times especially on BUCCEM  almost ruined a great beat with a verse that made completely no sense I don't know has he done anything else worthwile lately?

d-nice

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »

I've lost all hope for KURUPT since about 1999 but I have been checking for him just to see if there is anything left that even resembles dopeness but I was not impressed with his performance on DOGG CHIT his verses were EMBARRASSING at times especially on BUCCEM  almost ruined a great beat with a verse that made completely no sense I don't know has he done anything else worthwile lately?

I liked the joint he did on Hi-Tek's album, Tangled Thoughts, a few on Digital Smoke, he had some good songs on Same Day, Different Shit, I liked his verses on Blaze It Up, Where U From, and a few others I thought he really stepped it up on Dogg Chit. I have accepted Kurupt will not be the same mc he was in 95. I accepted that after Kuruption dropped. But even on that album and the ones that followed, he has made music that I can still enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 07:45:07 AM by D~Nice »

MURSFAN86

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 07:49:03 AM »

I liked the joint he did on Hi-Tek's album, Tangled Thoughts, a few on Digital Smoke, he had some good songs on Same Day, Different Shit, I liked his verses on Blaze It Up, Where U From, and a few others I thought he really stepped it up on Dogg Chit. I have accepted Kurupt will not be the same mc he was in 95. I accepted that after Kuruption dropped. But even on that album and the ones that followed, he has made music that I can still enjoy.

he had a TIGHT FLOW on that track with BAD AZZ I agree, I have not heard SAME DAY DIFFERENT SHIT in its entirety but I wasn't too iimpressed with the tracks that I remember but I will try to listen to it agaiin, thanks

d-nice

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 07:53:08 AM »

he had a TIGHT FLOW on that track with BAD AZZ I agree, I have not heard SAME DAY DIFFERENT SHIT in its entirety but I wasn't too iimpressed with the tracks that I remember but I will try to listen to it agaiin, thanks

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you are coming from. I don't remember Kurupt ever dropping a wack verse on DR. Now for me it is more of a collection of songs from different projects I like so believe me I ain't trying to convert people to him, but he does have some good songs and material that he still drops.

MIAMI4LIFE

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 08:06:49 AM »
he has dropped some nice tracks here and there I liked SDDS I thought he was pretty focused on that album and dropped some heaters, now if you are looking for the Kurupt of Death Row you are not going to get that package but he has ripped some tracks like Gangstas Part 2 where I think he spits a 32 bar verse that is as dope as anything he's done in this decade, he also had a sick verse on Push Bacc which was one of the first tracks he recorded with Daz since they reunited, props to the homey D~Nice for sending me The Last Of Tha Pound  a while back, that was mostly tracks recorded when he was still on DR and its pretty much Dogg Food Kurupt, he has a solo called Started on that which is :o

d-nice

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2007, 08:53:50 AM »
he has dropped some nice tracks here and there I liked SDDS I thought he was pretty focused on that album and dropped some heaters, now if you are looking for the Kurupt of Death Row you are not going to get that package but he has ripped some tracks like Gangstas Part 2 where I think he spits a 32 bar verse that is as dope as anything he's done in this decade, he also had a sick verse on Push Bacc which was one of the first tracks he recorded with Daz since they reunited, props to the homey D~Nice for sending me The Last Of Tha Pound  a while back, that was mostly tracks recorded when he was still on DR and its pretty much Dogg Food Kurupt, he has a solo called Started on that which is :o

No problem. Yeah I liked SDDS. Not too long and not too short and he had some dope verses on there as well. My joint of the moment off that is that Nina Breeda song.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007, 10:26:29 AM »
Kuruption wasn't that bad.

Yeah the fuck it was.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 12:17:53 AM »
I think Kurupt's decline started 10 years ago with Kuruption. Streetz was amazing, but lyrically, even on that album, he wasn't as good as he was during the Death Row album. Streetz was still an incredible album despite that. After Space Boogie is when Kurupt really fell off a cliff and he's been awful ever since then.

92-97 Kurupt was a beast, flawless flow, incredible wordplay, every verse was incredible, top 10 emcee

97-01 Could still make great songs and albums but you notice a change, voice sounds hoarse, flow choppy and not as smooth, mails it in on a few songs, still manages to make a masterpiece with Streetz. Songs like Trylogy and Homeboys, Kurupt sounds like the Kurupt of old, while songs like Xplosive are just embarassing

02-now Awful, tragic, unlistenable, a complete embarassment. The only good verse during that whole period is on Hi-Tek's album.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Al Bundy

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2007, 12:20:05 AM »
Kuruption wasn't that bad.

Yeah the fuck it was.

I liked the westcoast disc alot better than the eastcoast but it wasn't the worst album ever. it did have too many fucking tracks though.