Author Topic: some computar questions  (Read 125 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
some computar questions
« on: May 17, 2007, 10:59:30 AM »
I have always been a desktop kind of guy, but my fiance got a labtop computar, and we've been using our neighbor's wireless to get the net. Resently, our neighbor had encrypt their signal, and now we are thinking about getting our own router, but I want to make sure no one is stealing our signal... lol. So does anyone know how to encrypt a wireless signal.

Also, I want to get a new grafix card, since ours is acting up by shutting down when I play Civilization IV. I mean, that game takes very few resources, yet our grafix card resently has been over worked, even when I shut down all the other programs. And I know it's the grafix card because when I turn the computar back on, it says that the grafix card errored. So what's a good grafix card, and how much am I looking at?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: some computar questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 08:18:54 PM »
LOL@computar.

Just call up some internet services and ask them.

The Watcher

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 08:49:24 PM »
buy a wirelss router that supports WPA2 if you want to be really safe

WEP can be cracked in about 5 minutes depending how much traffic you have going through it
WPA passwords can be cracked quite easily if they're under 20 characters

your best bet is going for something like the Linksys WRT54GS (i use this at home..), but anything that supports WPA2 will be fine
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Al Bundy

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 09:16:47 PM »
buy a wirelss router that supports WPA2 if you want to be really safe

WEP can be cracked in about 5 minutes depending how much traffic you have going through it
WPA passwords can be cracked quite easily if they're under 20 characters

your best bet is going for something like the Linksys WRT54GS (i use this at home..), but anything that supports WPA2 will be fine

I found out the hard way and someone cracked my WEP. Thank god my mini router supports WPA2. The only way they can crack WPA2 is by brute forcing dictionary words (which my password isn't made up of so  8))

Let me know when you get a router and i'll try to help.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 09:31:29 PM »
But what about those people that have drug problems and can't afford the internet?  How can you sleep at night knowing that YOU are depriving them of the internet?  Especially after you admit you were jackin the shit?

Sorry man, couldn't resist.  Have a prop.

Al Bundy

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 10:28:09 PM »
Oh yeah speaking of WEP, if they used that to encrypt their password I got some programs you can use to jack their internet  8)

The Watcher

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 01:40:46 AM »
i have two access points here for wireless. one i use for myself + anyone trusted, which has WPA2 on it, the other is open for anyone to use, but is limited to web browsing at 20Kb/s so they cant really use up my adsl quota

on the firewall that both of them go through, i have packet captures running to get things like web forum passwords, email passwords etc, teach them a lesson for trying to use up my bandwidth
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden