Author Topic: My Opinions on Interscope- MAY 07  (Read 341 times)

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
My Opinions on Interscope- MAY 07
« on: May 25, 2007, 08:12:50 PM »
Eminem's last project "Artist: Eminem    Album: Presents The ReUp"   Flopped.   It had _ONE_ video.  _With_ 50 Cent on it.  If you aren't a total head you would think this was an Em album.  That's how it was marketed and promoted as, if not an Em and 50 Collab album.

No one saw this promotion and marketing... BECAUSE IT WASNT THERE...  This shit is just under doing platinum now.  Eminem albums used to have 4 videos...  Compare this to G-Unit - Beg For Mercy".  No 50 Cent tag even, it was G-UNIT as the artist.  It still got, what 4 or 3 videos?

Universal knows Interscope is headed to the shitter again, and Aftermath isn't Deathrow, they aren't going to save them this time...

Universal is starting to put more effort into Geffen.

A MAJOR BIG FIGURE INVOLVED IN THE MARKETING, PROMOTION AND EVERYONE TO DO WITH BIG INTERSCOPE RELEASES (Especially GTODT) LEFT AWHILE AGO AND WENT TO WARNER BROS AND IS NOW FOCUSED ON PRIMING THEIR ASYLUM RECORDS DIVISION.

INTERSCOPE WENT TO SHIT WITH THE WHOLE WAY THEY RAN THEIR LABEL WHEN THIS HAPPENED.

I saw this coming...  This major fuckup of probably their biggest artist ATM confirms the status of this label.   All of music sales is down I know, but Interscope sales are down that, PLUS SOME MORE.

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: My Opinions on Interscope- MAY 07
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 08:44:03 PM »
Eminem's last project "Artist: Eminem    Album: Presents The ReUp"   Flopped.   It had _ONE_ video.  _With_ 50 Cent on it.  If you aren't a total head you would think this was an Em album.  That's how it was marketed and promoted as, if not an Em and 50 Collab album.

It flopped? It went platinum in the US with one video. And it was cheap to make that album. How many hip-hop albums go plat in a year? 10? Maybe?

Anyway, it was a mixtape, that went plat. And it was a pretty bad albums anyways.

But I agree that Interscope is a shitty label. They got some of the biggest acts in music, and they fuck up almost every release.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 10:26:18 PM »

It flopped? It went platinum in the US with one video. And it was cheap to make that album. How many hip-hop albums go plat in a year? 10? Maybe?

Anyway, it was a mixtape, that went plat. And it was a pretty bad albums anyways.

But I agree that Interscope is a shitty label. They got some of the biggest acts in music, and they fuck up almost every release.

It has not gone platinum, last I checked (couple weeks ago) it was at 980 000 or something. 

It wasn't a mixtape.. You use that word like it means something too.  Read my post again to see why it shouldn't be called that.   It wasn't mixed by a DJ, it didn't have recycled beats and shitty quality, it was widely distributed in stores on a major label.  How the fuck is that a mixtape?  These aren't songs that they just threw together, this was a worked on VA Album similar to GRODT Soundtrack...

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 11:35:42 PM »
^ I read your post again, and still, I don't see how 980,000 is a flop. Did Snoop floop? Did Game flop? They sold less.

It's not like this was a solo 50 or Em album. It was full of mediocre tracks from more or less unknown Shady artists. The album was originally a mixtape.

A flop doesn't have a lot to do with sales. It's profits. Did Interscope/Shady make a lot of money off this? All in house features, all in house production. Dirt cheap to make, and it sold a million units with 1 video. That, in any sense of the word, isn't a flop. I didn't expect this thing to move 300,000 units.

On the other hand, how much more do you think DA, or Snoops album cost to make? Maybe 5 or 6 times more money then The Re-Up? They had to pay all those big name producers, had to pay for features, had to pay for promotion.

The Re-Up album was built in promotion. 50 and Em. It served its purpose, introduce Cashis, Creek and Stat to the world. It primary reason wasn't to make money. It sold a million units. It was a success.

On another note, the GRODT OST was also a success. Whens the last time a OST sold 900,000 (or whatever it sold). The soundtrack probably made more profits then the movie (which I didn't see, and did poorly in theaters).

I'm not dickriding here, it's just how it is. I didn't even like the album, I liked "Get Low" and the single. Everything else I didn't like.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 11:41:34 PM by The King »

Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 10:25:39 AM »
I gotta agree with the king here. The Re-up was a pretty big success in my eyes. I also thought this umm...SUCKED, but it did some really good #s, especially off of 1 video. And it wasn't even much of a radio friendly single either. And like the king said, the budget was probably extremely low, besides the dre beats.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 10:32:19 AM »
The Re-Up didnt flop in no terms. One cheap, green screen vid going plat aint a flop. Song was the shit too. And it was Eminem, not 50, who said they didnt even went to the radios and tvs and shit like that to promote the project, they just did it for the streets. They couldve easilly had 1 or 2 more vids but sales clearly wasnt the gold here. And GRODT Ost went 1.5 plat.

Now The Leak, who is this dude youre talking about that went to Warner ? Is it Kevin Black ? All the rumours about 50 going to Warner Bros make sense then and I hope in the end he goes there too. Same with Aftermath, they need to get away from Interscope.

Forced singles, shitty promotion timing, push backs. Interscope sucks. Well, but thats been known for a while now. I cant even remember the last release that Interscope didnt fuck up.

Lunatic

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 10:35:52 AM »
Talkin about gunit makin the move, i heard something about asylum being involved? Because promotion wise, sale wise, that label is GARBAGE. We might get better music, releases and so on, and don't get me wrong, that would be great, but is it enough motivation for 50 to make the move? I think he'll go with the $, and asylum don't sell no records.

Elevz

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 11:07:27 AM »
And it was Eminem, not 50, who said they didnt even went to the radios and tvs and shit like that to promote the project, they just did it for the streets. They couldve easilly had 1 or 2 more vids but sales clearly wasnt the gold here. And GRODT Ost went 1.5 plat.

I hope you do realise platinum status is a certification, and not a number. There's no such thing as "going one point five platinum" because that's the same as going platinum once with shipping one point five million in the US. Just checking...

As for The Re-Up - I don't see how that could be considered a flop when it was a weak album made for promotional purposes, with hardly any promotion behind it... And it still went platinum.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 11:39:14 AM »
Fuck Interscope.

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 12:23:53 PM »
I gotta agree with the king here. The Re-up was a pretty big success in my eyes. I also thought this umm...SUCKED, but it did some really good #s, especially off of 1 video. And it wasn't even much of a radio friendly single either. And like the king said, the budget was probably extremely low, besides the dre beats.

We Fly High

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 12:29:31 PM »

A MAJOR BIG FIGURE INVOLVED IN THE MARKETING, PROMOTION AND EVERYONE TO DO WITH BIG INTERSCOPE RELEASES (Especially GTODT) LEFT AWHILE AGO AND WENT TO WARNER BROS AND IS NOW FOCUSED ON PRIMING THEIR ASYLUM RECORDS DIVISION.

yup.. that guy is Kevin Black.. he was way too integral in the interscope system. he basically headed up their entire urban department and all their rap/R&B shit.. kevin "bet on black".. that was his nickname, cos that fool made things happen.... i definitely think the interscope urban dept is going to suffer big time from his departure..

d-nice

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 12:47:21 PM »
Man that album is not a mixtape. I think artists use that as a crutch. If it is sells then oh I did great numbers off of a mixtape. If it doesn't then it was just a mixtape and I wanted to put it out there, its not the real album. LOL! If it is for "promotional use only", give the shit away like what Crazy Toones and Bishop Lamont did.

Lunatic

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 12:48:53 PM »
Man that album is not a mixtape. I think artists use that as a crutch. If it is sells then oh I did great numbers off of a mixtape. If it doesn't then it was just a mixtape and I wanted to put it out there, its not the real album. LOL! If it is for "promotional use only", give the shit away like what Crazy Toones and Bishop Lamont did.

yea exactly. **IF** anything it was a street album or just a plain old label compilation

d-nice

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 12:56:10 PM »
In today's market it did good numbers. That was on Em and Interscope if they wanted to do a 2nd single, which if you are setting up your new artists and you want people to hear them, it would make sense to have a single or video showcasing them (Booby Creek, Stat-Quo, etc). But it moved units not because of 50, but because Eminem was behind it, people wanted to see if he still had it, and because there was a unreleased Proof verse on there. That is all the promo you need.

Lunatic

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 01:00:45 PM »
In today's market it did good numbers. That was on Em and Interscope if they wanted to do a 2nd single, which if you are setting up your new artists and you want people to hear them, it would make sense to have a single or video showcasing them (Booby Creek, Stat-Quo, etc). But it moved units not because of 50, but because Eminem was behind it, people wanted to see if he still had it, and because there was a unreleased Proof verse on there. That is all the promo you need.

Yea. I thought it was garbage though. The new artists pretty much suck or are average. Stat Quo was a breath of fresh air on it though, the best artist on that album INCLUDING em, 50 etc.

I don't think many ppl bought it just for the proof verse, which was DOPE bty 8)