Author Topic: How's The Wesssssssiddde These Days?  (Read 199 times)

Big BpG

How's The Wesssssssiddde These Days?
« on: June 11, 2007, 09:48:08 PM »
Put your W's in the air.

Wow, it has been a long time since I've graced this forum. However, I was flipping through some music today and ended up listening to Warren G's old album, take a look over your shoulder. It's honestly been years since I listened to a full album of west coast music. I still play my favorite songs, but to just sit and listen to a whole album is something I have not done. Anyway, I got back to thinking of all of you guys. I see the board has not died at all. It is still busy as ever. Good job.

I really don't listen to rap much. Current hip hop is dead and bland. The days when real hip hop and rap was mainstream are long gone. To be honest, even listening to old hip hop is something I rarely do. I guess I just grew out of it. I have no problem listening to it, but music is a revolving door, there's always something great coming and I listen to all genres now, but not rap... current hip hop is just embarrassing to what I remember.

To these big labels, there's a formula to rap. They want guaranteed sales. They don't want to take a chance on what MIGHT be the next big thing. It's hard to create an Eminem, Jay-Z, Tupac, Biggie... and Yes, Snoop DOGGY DOGG, he belongs there too, but he's never going to release that great solo west coast album again. NEVER. He's now part of the formula.

If you remember I was a with Snoop. I was ride or die. I was official like a referee with a whistle. He's was the rapper I dug. I'm no longer excited about his new music. I bought Blue carpet treatment, and have it among my mp3 collection, but honestly, when winamp shuffles to one of those songs, I usually find myself switching. The song 'imagine' bored me too. Dre and Snoop back together... even then I wasn't thrilled, but it's probably the best song to me... on the album. It was REAL.

So that leaves me with this... my opinions have changed a little.

Remember, life is REAL. it's not gang bang... it's real. You have a choice if you want to take part in that life. I do feel that embracing that lifestyle keeps it there. In the past, gangster rap was about how society keeps it going... how things are different because of how society treats the ghetto. Now, we embrace it. That's what sells.

"This is why I'm HOT.... BECAUSE YOUR NOT" ...

that's not Hip Hop. That's shit on paper, put to a microphone, recorded and sold. That's what we buy these days... bullshit...

Lets not glorify that. Lets not glorify the problems and be proud of it. That's not hip hop.

So, yes, the fall of rap lost my interest. I like to be mentally challenged and back in the day, rap did that. Good rap does that.

I was hear when that change was happening. The only way to change it back is to start buying everything but that...

unfortunetly, that's real hard to do...

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: How's The Wesssssssiddde These Days?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 10:06:38 PM »
west is dead.  Gotta let go and move on. :)
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Al Bundy

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 01:11:23 AM »
I still find some music that's getting released that is good. But you have to take it with a grain of salt. I just got Turf Talks album and was not expecting a super lyrical illmatic type thing. I expected some bangers and that shit slumps.

~Lucien~

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 04:32:37 AM »
Put your W's in the air.

Wow, it has been a long time since I've graced this forum. However, I was flipping through some music today and ended up listening to Warren G's old album, take a look over your shoulder. It's honestly been years since I listened to a full album of west coast music. I still play my favorite songs, but to just sit and listen to a whole album is something I have not done. Anyway, I got back to thinking of all of you guys. I see the board has not died at all. It is still busy as ever. Good job.

I really don't listen to rap much. Current hip hop is dead and bland. The days when real hip hop and rap was mainstream are long gone. To be honest, even listening to old hip hop is something I rarely do. I guess I just grew out of it. I have no problem listening to it, but music is a revolving door, there's always something great coming and I listen to all genres now, but not rap... current hip hop is just embarrassing to what I remember.

To these big labels, there's a formula to rap. They want guaranteed sales. They don't want to take a chance on what MIGHT be the next big thing. It's hard to create an Eminem, Jay-Z, Tupac, Biggie... and Yes, Snoop DOGGY DOGG, he belongs there too, but he's never going to release that great solo west coast album again. NEVER. He's now part of the formula.

If you remember I was a with Snoop. I was ride or die. I was official like a referee with a whistle. He's was the rapper I dug. I'm no longer excited about his new music. I bought Blue carpet treatment, and have it among my mp3 collection, but honestly, when winamp shuffles to one of those songs, I usually find myself switching. The song 'imagine' bored me too. Dre and Snoop back together... even then I wasn't thrilled, but it's probably the best song to me... on the album. It was REAL.

So that leaves me with this... my opinions have changed a little.

Remember, life is REAL. it's not gang bang... it's real. You have a choice if you want to take part in that life. I do feel that embracing that lifestyle keeps it there. In the past, gangster rap was about how society keeps it going... how things are different because of how society treats the ghetto. Now, we embrace it. That's what sells.

"This is why I'm HOT.... BECAUSE YOUR NOT" ...

that's not Hip Hop. That's shit on paper, put to a microphone, recorded and sold. That's what we buy these days... bullshit...

Lets not glorify that. Lets not glorify the problems and be proud of it. That's not hip hop.

So, yes, the fall of rap lost my interest. I like to be mentally challenged and back in the day, rap did that. Good rap does that.

I was hear when that change was happening. The only way to change it back is to start buying everything but that...

unfortunetly, that's real hard to do...

the truth hurts

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 05:37:10 AM »

snoop is better then the rest of them.