Author Topic: old AC DC , Guns, and Metallica sell more than many hip hop albums these days  (Read 360 times)

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
lol too funny

Much of the rock 'n' roll and pop canon is well established.

Buying the albums of `60s and `70s acts like the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and Bob Marley is akin to a rite of passage for any young music fan. These are the artists that baby boomers love to keep buying, and with whom seemingly every teenager at some point experiments. (Remember A.J. hearing Bob Dylan for the first time in the "Sopranos" finale?)

Now that the `80s and `90s are ancient history, what albums are people still buying from those decades? Do critical favorites like Radiohead and the Pixies grow more popular with time? Or do the Backstreet Boys and Madonna still rule the charts?

The short answer is that, above all, people are buying vintage Metallica, AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Guns 'N Roses and, well, Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

AC/DC's "Back in Black" (1980) last year sold 440,000 copies and has thus far sold 156,000 this year, according to the Nielsen SoundScan catalog charts, which measure how well physical albums older than two years old are selling. (All figures for this article were provided by Nielsen SoundScan.)

Those "Back in Black" numbers would make most contemporary CDs a success. Metallica's self-titled 1991 album is altogether the second-biggest selling album of the Nielsen SoundScan era, which began in 1991. "Metallica" sold 275,000 copies last year.

Bon Jovi's greatest hits collection "Cross Road" last year sold 324,000 copies, while Guns 'N Roses "Appetite for Destruction" (1987) sold 113,000. The Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "Christmas Eve and Other Stories" (1996) continues to be a holiday favorite; it was bought 289,000 times last year.

Greatest hits compilations are counted as catalog releases, and account for the majority of vintage best-sellers. Artists that commercially peaked in the `80s or `90s that have had lucrative best-of collections include Garth Brooks, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tim McGraw, Creed, Queen, Tom Petty, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Def Leppard, Aerosmith and Lionel Richie.

U2, Bruce Springsteen, Prince, Celine Dion, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Dave Matthews Band and the ever-touring Jimmy Buffett also all continue to sell large amounts of old records.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Real Nigga

• Lil Geezy
Good, "hip hop" needs to stop selling records until better product is put out, maybe then the demand for good hip hop will be answered

BLACK ROYALTY

~Lucien~

Good, "hip hop" needs to stop selling records until better product is put out, maybe then the demand for good hip hop will be answered

well said

ToOoOoN!!!

metallica has sold over 100 million albums $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
GUNS N FUCKING ROSES!!!!!!

WC Iz Active

hands down the best rock band ever!!!!!  AXL N Slash is BY FAR the best combo ever!!

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!

hands down the best rock band ever!!!!!  AXL N Slash is BY FAR the best combo ever!!

Better then Cam and JOnes ?lol

WC Iz Active

Better then Cam and JOnes ?lol

yes

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
+1 to u

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch

well one of the best combos

there're one of my all time fav's no doubt but there's still'

McCartney and Lennon
Hetfield and Ulrich
Richards and Jagger
EVH and Diamond Dave
Simmons and Stanley (ace sometimes too)
dimebag and vinny paul
Arraya and King
Murry and Harris
Downing and Tipton
Page and Plant

WC Iz Active

^^all good choices but none had as much talent, energy, and charisma as AXL and Slash.  and you cant forget about Izzy and Duff.  And Matt Sorum was also a amazing replacement behind Adler, GNR really is the G.O.A.T.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Metallica>>>>>Guns N roses

WC Iz Active

Metallica>>>>>Guns N roses

no chance!  Metallica was way to 1 dimensional.  GNR could do it all, just listen to Welcome to The Jungle and then November Rain, LOL they were a million times more talented then Metallica could ever be.

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
i like both but ... and justice for all is my favorite metal album

ToOoOoN!!!