Author Topic: Why is Eazy E not shouted out or saluted like other dead rappers?  (Read 764 times)

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
This guy basically laid the foundation for the popularity of gangsta rap.  He put Dre & Cube on the scene with N.W.A.  Started one of the first independently owned successful rap labels.  Its not a far stretch to say that there wouldn't have been a Deathrow,  a huge westcoast hip hop scene or the entire genre of gangsta rap at all if it wasn't for Eazy helping to popularize it with N.W.A.  This guy played such an instrumental role in the history of hip hop, but yet to a lot of people he is merely a joke or an after thought.  Deceased rappers are often paid tribute too on a constant basis, even the ones with very little commercial success, but before The Game came along nobody mentioned this cat, not even rappers from the westcoast.  Why do you think Eazy doesn't get his props?  A lot of people think its because of the way he died.  I think that played a part in it, but ultimately I think the main reason is because of that Dre Day video.  Anyone who was around at the time can attest to the fact that in the mid 90s the coolest thing in hip hop was Snoop Dogg and Deathrow.  In the Dre Day video they clowned the fuck out of Eazy and made him look comical.  It became uncool to like Eazy.  If a young kid said he liked Eazy he would get just about the same treatment a person would get for saying they liked Vanilla Ice or M.C Hammer.  Sadly for a lot of people the last image they have of Eazy is the character in that Dre Day video.

ai002h

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Why is Eazy E not shouted out or saluted like other dead rappers?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 01:28:27 PM »
I think a lot of people view Eazy as more of a hustler, street person rather than an actual hip hop artist. Some see him as a character that was given words by Cube and beats by Dre, so in some ways was a creation of those two, rather than the other way around...not that I agree with it.

Twisted Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SCISSOR-HANDS NIGGA, SLICIN' LIKE BLANCA!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 01:39:18 PM »
Nice Topic!  8)

Don't Waste Time Hating on Kurupt just because he gets the Appreciation that you think YOUR favorite artist deserves. You should try being more Positive about Life and Post about things that YOU LIKE instead of Whining Like a BITCH. Convert All That Hate into Positive Energy to Promote YOUR # 1 Artist. MUTHAFUCCA!

Cheese

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 01:44:31 PM »
because he didnt got shot to death

Eiht_s Biggest Fan

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 02:02:58 PM »
i think 1)the way he died, 2)the way dre & snoop schooled him so bad there was NO comeback worthy, 3) he dicked over a lot of people i.e. all of N.W.A & 4)he hired paperboy to rap his verses and then he re-recorded the shits with paper's flow?-he would have been better served if he would have never recorded anything after efil4saggin. I know a lot of new school cats like some of the newer shit but the true schoolers, know that his best days were behind him once dre & ren left.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 02:20:23 PM »
i think 1)the way he died, 2)the way dre & snoop schooled him so bad there was NO comeback worthy, 3) he dicked over a lot of people i.e. all of N.W.A & 4)he hired paperboy to rap his verses and then he re-recorded the shits with paper's flow?-he would have been better served if he would have never recorded anything after efil4saggin. I know a lot of new school cats like some of the newer shit but the true schoolers, know that his best days were behind him once dre & ren left.

I mean that's really the main reasons, #3 being the biggest. With #2, it's not even that they dissed him that much worst than he got them, because many true west coast fans, especially on here, feel that Eazy dissed them harder and better. Even on the Top 100 songs list I did by taking you all's votes, Real Mothaphuckin G'z was rated higher than Dre Day from what I remember.

And as I read in XXL or one of those Mags that had a special on him....they said it best....Eazy didn't get as much praise overall because he really wasn't one of the most talented rappers around, even then. He was based on personality, dope beats, style, image, and all that...but as a straight up rapper, most of the ones who died were clearly better as rappers.

Overall, he got killed before it was cool to die. Pac and then Big made dying the shit. [/sarcasm]

Lunatic

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 02:34:09 PM »
I think a lot of people view Eazy as more of a hustler, street person rather than an actual hip hop artist. Some see him as a character that was given words by Cube and beats by Dre, so in some ways was a creation of those two, rather than the other way around...not that I agree with it.

co-sign
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

SP0RTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside para vida
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 02:36:44 PM »
yea i think because he didnt get shot to death it made him seem not as much of a gangsta as 2pac or somethin. i did think he got dre and snoop harder than they got him

5 Albums I'm Bumping Right Now (In Order)
Blu & Exile- Below The Heavens
eMC- The Show
WC- Guily By Affiliation
Westside Connection- Bow Down
Wu Tang Clan- Enter the 36 Chambers

StevenQBosell

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 02:37:28 PM »
because he didnt got shot to death

Those are great points. He didn't die "street style," he had a disease taht even today (excluding Magic) still has a stigma on it. You can even make the argument for Big Pun, however Pun has gotten considerably more love since he's died, compared to E.

I agree with Rtistic, in that the disses IMO, were pretty even, and it was afterall, the Golden Age of Westcoast hip hop at the time aswell.

But props to Eihts Biggest Fan, I never knew that Paperboy would record the track, and Eazy would rap Pape's flow on his record.

Does anybody know exactly what records were Paperboy flows?

Was it that EP he put out, or does it include Str8 Off The Streetz?

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 02:52:08 PM »
i4)he hired paperboy to rap his verses and then he re-recorded the shits with paper's flow?

I remember reading in a magazine back in '94 that Paperboy was in the studio with E, so there's gonna be a Paperboy feature on his new album.....maybe this is what Paperboy was doing.

WC Iz Active

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 02:58:59 PM »
cause he wasnt a good rapper

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 03:11:01 PM »
This guy basically laid the foundation for the popularity of gangsta rap.  He put Dre & Cube on the scene with N.W.A.  Started one of the first independently owned successful rap labels.  Its not a far stretch to say that there wouldn't have been a Deathrow,  a huge westcoast hip hop scene or the entire genre of gangsta rap at all if it wasn't for Eazy helping to popularize it with N.W.A.  This guy played such an instrumental role in the history of hip hop, but yet to a lot of people he is merely a joke or an after thought.  Deceased rappers are often paid tribute too on a constant basis, even the ones with very little commercial success, but before The Game came along nobody mentioned this cat, not even rappers from the westcoast.  Why do you think Eazy doesn't get his props?  A lot of people think its because of the way he died.  I think that played a part in it, but ultimately I think the main reason is because of that Dre Day video.  Anyone who was around at the time can attest to the fact that in the mid 90s the coolest thing in hip hop was Snoop Dogg and Deathrow.  In the Dre Day video they clowned the fuck out of Eazy and made him look comical.  It became uncool to like Eazy.  If a young kid said he liked Eazy he would get just about the same treatment a person would get for saying they liked Vanilla Ice or M.C Hammer.  Sadly for a lot of people the last image they have of Eazy is the character in that Dre Day video.

its like what about mausberg, billboard, and mac-dre

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Twisted Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SCISSOR-HANDS NIGGA, SLICIN' LIKE BLANCA!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 03:12:02 PM »
I Like Snoop and Dre but "Real muthaFuckin Gz" is fuckin KILLER!

It was not a commercial success like "Dre Day" but it was a better Diss track.

Don't Waste Time Hating on Kurupt just because he gets the Appreciation that you think YOUR favorite artist deserves. You should try being more Positive about Life and Post about things that YOU LIKE instead of Whining Like a BITCH. Convert All That Hate into Positive Energy to Promote YOUR # 1 Artist. MUTHAFUCCA!

blunts40sbitches

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • The Realness
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 04:04:19 PM »
i think game is doin his part in givin eazy his props......

tha letter d

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 04:08:46 PM »
I think that it's four simple letters... A.I.D.S.
Rappers and people in general are scared of "the germ".

Cause in reality the dude was "gangster", something a lot of these rappers wish or portray themselves to really be. So, I'm not too sure that just because Dr. Dre and Snoop dissed the shit out of him or because he shitted on Dre and Cube, because you never hear Yella or Ren dissin' him, can really make others not give him his props.

I think that these are all factors but I would say IMO that about 95% of it is just that the man died from A.I.D.S. ...and no matter where you come from that just isn't a "cool" way to die, in fact it's scary.