Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread  (Read 171739 times)

On The Edge of Insanity

Re: Sticky: Football (Soccer) Thread
« Reply #1260 on: July 26, 2008, 04:29:14 AM »
I'd think Valencia would want at least £20m for Silva, probably closer to £25m, and if they sell David Villa then they would have no need to do so.

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #1261 on: July 26, 2008, 04:42:56 AM »
I'd think Valencia would want at least £20m for Silva, probably closer to £25m, and if they sell David Villa then they would have no need to do so.

there having finaicial problems and need 250m for a new stadium apparently...thats the only reason we're following up on the interest

athletic madrid had 17mill rejected for silva but apparently the valencia chairman was reportedly upset it wasnt accepted

who knows??

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #1262 on: July 26, 2008, 06:35:12 AM »
They are having financial problems, but the indication has always been that they are only likely to sell either Villa or Silva rather than both of them.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #1263 on: July 26, 2008, 01:51:01 PM »
how are liverpool going to afford keane (20 mil) and silva (17mil) when they were struggling to raise the money for barry(villa wanted 18 mil).

Especially as Alonso hasnt been sold yet, unless he would be part of a deal for silva.

Guess they have 11 mil from crouch sale.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #1264 on: July 27, 2008, 07:51:18 AM »
how are liverpool going to afford keane (20 mil) and silva (17mil) when they were struggling to raise the money for barry(villa wanted 18 mil).

Especially as Alonso hasnt been sold yet, unless he would be part of a deal for silva.

its not we havent got money for barry...we just dont want to pay 18 million

what has barry ever achieved that makes him worth that much??aside from being homegrown??

and then people wonder why the top clubs dont buy british

Elano

« Reply #1265 on: July 27, 2008, 11:39:06 AM »

silva costs more than 17 mil

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1266 on: July 27, 2008, 12:27:56 PM »
Everton bid for Moutinho rejected

Sporting Lisbon claim they have turned down an £11.8m offer from Everton for midfielder Joao Moutinho.

Moutinho, 21, was part of Portugal's side at Euro 2008 and has been linked with a number of Premier League clubs.

Everton have made an official move and, according to Sporting, they would have recieved more money if Moutinho helped the Toffees reach the Champions League.

Moutinho has a £19.7m buy-out clause in his contract but this can only be exercised before 15 June each year.

If that price is met after this date then certain requirements have to be met for any deal to go through.

Sporting issued a statement on their website confirming Everton's bid and, although Moutinho says he wants to leave, also made it clear they are determined to keep the player.

"(Sporting) reveals that the personal reasons that the player pleads to be transferred are completely unrelated to Sporting and the working relationship it maintains with the player," read the statement.

"... and, as such, it cannot justify in any way an act of management that does not adequately defend the interests of the company and its shareholders."

Everton are yet to make a major signing this summer but have been linked with selling striker Andy Johnson.

Johnson's exit could give them the ability to raise the funds to up their offer for Moutinho, who is seen as one of his country's emerging talents, and test Sporting's resolve.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/7527890.stm

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1267 on: July 27, 2008, 12:30:47 PM »
Trialists help Well dump Bradford

Trialists Souleymane Mamam, Seyfo Soley and Jim O'Brien could have improved their chances of a contract by helping Motherwell defeat Bradford City 4-0.

Well's first pre-season victory came in resounding fashion as they demolished Stuart McCall's League Two outfit.

David Clarkson, Chris Porter, Darren Smith and Bob Malcolm scored the goals.

Togo international Mamam, hoping to win a move from Royal Antwerp, Celtic's O'Brien and Soley, formerly of Preston, came on as second-half substitutes.

Midfielder Soley, a 28-year-old who captains the Gambian national side and has also played for Lokeren, Genk and Al-Hilal Riyadh, left Preston last summer after rejecting a new contract.

The 23-year-old Mamam spent four years with Manchester United, who signed him from La Semeuse Lomé, and was loaned out to Antwerp in 2007 before the midfielder made the move permanent.

O'Brien, 21, is on trial from Celtic and a fee would be required from Well for the winger, who came close to scoring against Bradford with a volley that struck a post.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/7527292.stm

SHIT!!

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #1268 on: July 27, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »

18 mil is prob about the going rate for a good centre midfielder who is under contract. Especially as muntari is going for 12.

what has barry ever achieved that makes him worth that much??aside from being homegrown??

and then people wonder why the top clubs dont buy british

18 mil is prob about the going rate for a good centre midfielder who is under contract. Especially as muntari is going for 12 and sporting want 19 for mourtinho.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Elano

« Reply #1269 on: July 28, 2008, 05:49:26 AM »

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #1270 on: July 28, 2008, 12:12:38 PM »
Liverpool have completed the signing of striker Robbie Keane from Tottenham for a fee that could rise to £20.3m.

Keane, 28, underwent a medical on Monday after agreeing personal terms on a four-year contract worth around £80,000 a week over the weekend.

Spurs said they agreed an initial fee of £19m plus a potential further £1.3m.

Tottenham have also agreed to drop their official complaint to the Premier League after Liverpool apologised for their conduct in pursuing the Irishman.

Relations between the clubs became strained after Spurs chairman Daniel Levy accused the Reds of breaking Premier League rules in making their interest in Keane known despite being told by the Londoners he was not for sale.

However, a statement on the Spurs website read: "Liverpool FC have acknowledged that the way its website reported comments of its manager, which were widely covered by the media, was inappropriate.

"In light of that acknowledgement (they) have apologised and agreed to make a donation to our Club's main charity, the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation.

"Tottenham Hotspur has therefore agreed not to pursue its official complaint to the Premier League."

But Levy added: "I was incredibly disappointed when I first heard, not only that Liverpool had been working behind the scenes to bring Robbie to Anfield, but that Robbie himself wanted to go and submitted a transfer request to this effect.

"I have already made my opinion clear on the nature of this transaction.

"I don't regard it as a transfer deal - that is something which happens between two clubs when they both agree to trade - this is very much an enforced sale, for which we have agreed a sum of £19m as compensation plus a potential further £1.3m in additional compensation."

Liverpool will now become Keane's sixth club after spells at Wolves, Coventry, Inter Milan and Leeds, before his switch to Tottenham in 2002 for £7m.

The Ireland captain had become Benitez's number one summer target over recent weeks, with the need to replace Peter Crouch, who joined Portsmouth earlier this month, seemingly more important than pursuing the complicated and protracted move for Aston Villa's 27-year-old midfielder Gareth Barry.

Keane paid tribute to Levy and Spurs and revealed that the move to Anfield was too good to turn down.  606: DEBATE

He said: "I would like to place on record my thanks to the board, players and fans of Tottenham for the past six years, which were the best and most enjoyable of my career to date.

"I will never forget them. I would specifically like to thank chairman Daniel Levy for understanding, that, as a fan, joining Liverpool is a lifelong dream of mine and one I couldn't let pass me by.

"I hope one day the Spurs fans, who have been brilliant to me, can understand this too.

"I have only good things to say about my time at Tottenham and expect them to go from strength to strength under Juande Ramos and Daniel Levy."

The arrival of Keane takes Liverpool's spending to about £32m since the end of last season. They have already drafted in Degen, fellow full-back Andrea Dossena, goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri and teenagers David Ngog and Emmanuel Mendy.

About £20m has been raised by selling Crouch, John Arne Riise, Scott Carson and Danny Guthrie

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7528735.stm

Invincible

« Reply #1271 on: July 28, 2008, 09:07:03 PM »
Bad move for Keane i think. He got regular starts at Spurs, he can wave goodbye to that now cos of Rafa with his ridiculous rotation system.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1272 on: July 28, 2008, 09:16:43 PM »
Liverpool have completed the signing of striker Robbie Keane from Tottenham for a fee that could rise to £20.3m.

Keane, 28, underwent a medical on Monday after agreeing personal terms on a four-year contract worth around £80,000 a week over the weekend.

:o

kemizt

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #1273 on: July 28, 2008, 11:03:07 PM »
Great signing IMO. If i had the option of signing any 5 players for Celtic, Keane would be on that list. Who you think Spurs will replace him with? Arshavin? Villa?

Oh and who did Riise go to?

The Maestro

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #1274 on: July 29, 2008, 01:36:14 AM »
Riise went to Roma.

Villa and Arshavin are the two players most mentioned by the press, so I suppose we will see whether there is any truth to those rumors other the next couple of weeks.