Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread  (Read 171734 times)

wilz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: Sticky: Football (Soccer) Thread
« Reply #1275 on: July 29, 2008, 04:59:21 AM »
Bad move for Keane i think. He got regular starts at Spurs, he can wave goodbye to that now cos of Rafa with his ridiculous rotation system.

Think its a great move for him. he is a good player and now he gets to play on the main stage of europe, instead of mid table seasons

[img]

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #1276 on: July 29, 2008, 05:40:09 AM »
Bad move for Keane i think. He got regular starts at Spurs, he can wave goodbye to that now cos of Rafa with his ridiculous rotation system.

Think its a great move for him. he is a good player and now he gets to play on the main stage of europe, instead of mid table seasons

word and as keane said himself he was rotated at tottenham

i just hope he dosent get injured

otherwise i have to hear from u lot how rafas "rotating" him i.e torres last season

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #1277 on: July 29, 2008, 06:16:58 AM »
Liverpool's new £20m signing from Spurs cannot hide his delight or his excitement at joining the club he supported as a boy. And the thought of running out in front of a packed Anfield wearing the red jersey he always dreamed of donning as a child growing up in Dublin is the greatest gift he could ever imagine.

"It's absolutely fantastic, a real dream come true for me," he said.

"I've been a Liverpool fan all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin, and I always had a Liverpool shirt on my back. So, to be here now as a Liverpool player is incredible and I couldn't be happier.

"It's hard to describe how I'm feeling. The only way I could try to describe it is to compare it to when you're a little kid on Christmas Eve and you know you're about to get your presents.

"It's that excited feeling. You can't wait to open your presents the next day and you're buzzing inside.

"That's what it feels like for me now. I just can't wait to pull that red jersey on and run out at Anfield in front of the fans."

Keane's home debut is likely to come in the friendly against Lazio on August 8, and when he runs out onto the pitch via the players’ tunnel Ireland's record goalscorer will be proudly wearing the number 7 shirt made famous by Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Keegan and Peter Beardsley.

Despite having worn number 10 at Spurs and for his country, Keane didn't have to think twice when he was offered the opportunity to take number 7.

He knows that with the honour comes the dual burden of history and expectation, but he has enough faith in his own talent to believe that he can make an impact on his own terms, not by those set by his illustrious predecessors.

He said: "John Barnes, Ian Rush and John Aldridge were my heroes as a kid and then when I was 15 or 16 it was the likes of Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman.

"I think Barnesy was probably the reason why I ended up wearing the number 10 shirt for most of my career.

"I've always liked that number but I'm going to be number 7 here and I know what a special shirt that is and what it means to everyone associated with the club. So I just hope I can do it justice.

"Being a Liverpool fan, I know all about the status that goes with the number 7 and to come here and be given the opportunity to wear that shirt is great for me.

"I'm not going to worry about pressure or anything like that, though. I'm not the kind of person who lets things like that get to me. I am the way I am and I would never try to compare myself with someone like Peter Beardsley or Kenny Dalglish.

"They were fantastic players and they are legends at this club, but hopefully I can do well in my own right and do justice to the shirt and myself."

The 28-year-old last night put pen to paper on a four-year contract with Liverpool, having found the temptation of playing for the club he has supported all his life too much to turn down, even though he remains grateful to Spurs for the way he was treated by them during his six-year spell at White Hart Lane.

And before anyone suggests Keane is another Reds signing who discovered his Kopite roots on seeing a contract placed before him on LFC headed notepaper, his devotion to Liverpool has long since been chronicled in his biography in which he talked about being "not just a fan, but a fanatic".

It is that powerful emotion which means his heart is already swelling with pride and explains why his desperation to do well for the club is already apparent to anyone who has come across him in the last 24 hours.

"It's just Liverpool as a club," he said. "Being a fan makes it even more special because there aren't too many players who can say they are lucky enough to play for the team that they support.

"There are so many people out there who love this club, who would love to have the kind of opportunity that I have and I'm very grateful for that.

"All my family are absolutely massive Liverpool fans. My brother's been getting hounded with mates ringing him all the time to find out what jersey I'm going to be wearing and stuff like that.

"The majority of people in Dublin are Liverpool fans, especially the area where I grew up. All my mates are Liverpool fans and all my family are Liverpool fans, so it's going absolutely mental back there.

"I'm sure I'll be getting battered for tickets, especially seeing as it's not so far from there with the ferry or the flights over every day."

Not that anyone should get the wrong impression that now Keane has joined Liverpool he will feel his life's work is now complete – nothing could be further from the truth.

He is desperate to repay the faith that has been shown in him by Rafa Benitez and he is hellbent on proving that he is worthy of a place in the Liverpool team.

Keane believes he can form a lethal partnership with Fernando Torres, but knows he will have to show the Reds boss that he is up to the task of partnering a striker whom he rates as one of the best in the world.

"I think the way Fernando plays and the way I play we will suit each other," he said.

"It's kind of like the way it worked with Berbatov and myself with a big lad and a smaller lad alongside him.

"Fernando is really good in the air and I try to come off and drop into the hole so we'll complement each other.

"It's easy saying that, though. It's all about doing it and I'm sure we will both work hard together to make it work.

"I've spoken to the manager briefly, not in any major detail or anything, but from my point of view it's up to me to prove that I can play every week.

"By no means am I naive enough to think I'm going to walk into Liverpool Football Club and play straight away.

"You have to earn that right and I'm willing to do that. I always give 100% every week. That will never change."

If and when he has cemented his place in the side, Keane's next challenge will be to help his new club to trophy glory. His desire to be a winner is so evident that his conversational tone actually becomes more aggressive when asked what he would like to achieve with Liverpool.

"I'm ambitious and I want to win things," he insisted. "I'm no different to anyone else in that respect and after getting a taste of it with Tottenham last year when we won the Carling Cup I'm desperate for more.

"I hate losing and Liverpool undoubtedly have the ingredients to win trophies. I want to be a part of that."

Should Keane help Liverpool towards the kind of success he dreams of as a player and as a fan it will feel like Christmas every day.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #1278 on: July 29, 2008, 11:52:46 AM »
keane is a good buy, rafa will prob play him on the right wing  ;)

Will be interesting to see what they do with gerrard now, u would assume that torres will partner keane. Pushing gerrard back into midfield, and maybe back to right mid as it will be mascherano plus one in the centre after the olympics.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #1279 on: July 29, 2008, 02:09:23 PM »
how are liverpool going to afford keane (20 mil) and silva (17mil) when they were struggling to raise the money for barry(villa wanted 18 mil).

Especially as Alonso hasnt been sold yet, unless he would be part of a deal for silva.

Guess they have 11 mil from crouch sale.

its not we havent got money for barry...we just dont want to pay 18 million

what has barry ever achieved that makes him worth that much??aside from being homegrown??

and then people wonder why the top clubs dont buy british

18 mil is prob about the going rate for a good centre midfielder who is under contract. Especially as muntari is going for 12 and sporting want 19 for mourtinho.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez insists he has not abandoned plans to sign Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry, but confesses he will be forced to sell in order to raise the necessary funds.

The Reds have made no secret of their desire to land £18million-rated Barry, but Monday's big-money signing of Robbie Keane saw speculation suggest that their interest in the Villa captain had ended.

However, Benitez is adamant that is not the case and he is preparing to part with existing members of squad in order to meet Villa's valuation.

Benitez began his fundraising with the departures of John Arne Riise, Peter Crouch, Danny Guthrie and Scott Carson, and he looks set to allow others out of the Anfield exit door.

"We knew that we could only spend money by selling players and we have been doing this (for Keane)," said Benitez.

"We are still trying to sign the players that we need, and if we need to sell someone now, okay, we will do so.

"If we can do it (the Barry deal) before the end of the transfer window, we will continue to try. We will always continue to improve our squad."

The news could see Jermaine Pennant, Andrei Voronin or Steve Finnan head for pastures new, while Spanish midfielder Xabi Alonso's future remains uncertain.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3883167,00.html
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 02:12:57 PM by KURUPTION-81 »

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #1280 on: July 29, 2008, 11:09:58 PM »
I really hope Celtic have a look at Steve Finnan. Oh and is the fixture list for thr season out yet?

The Maestro

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1281 on: July 30, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »
Villa call off Barry move to Reds

Aston Villa say that Gareth Barry will be staying at the club and not moving to Premier League rivals Liverpool.

Villa claim the Reds failed to meet a deadline to sign the midfielder, who stated he wanted to move to Anfield, and now any switch is off.

"During talks in the past few days, a final deadline to conclude this episode was set that all parties were aware of and agreed to," said a Villa statement.

"This deadline has now passed and so Gareth will remain with Villa."

Villa are believed to have slapped an £18m price tag on the 27-year-old and have rejected a number of bids from Liverpool which fall short of this figure.

It has proved an acrimonious affair with Villa boss Martin O'Neill clearly angered by the conduct of Liverpool counterpart Rafael Benitez's attempts to lure his side's prize asset away from the Midlands club.

Barry's desire to leave Villa for the Reds has been evident and he was ordered not to report for pre-season training by O'Neill after criticising him in a newspaper interview.

But as the saga raged on this summer, the England international has played for the side in a recent friendly and came on as a substitute in their Intertoto Cup win over Odense.

Villa's ire will have been increased by the fact that Liverpool have splashed out £19m for Tottenham striker Robbie Keane, with the fee possibly reaching £20.3m with add-ons.

The latest statement from Villa could be attempting to prod Liverpool into action over Barry, with O'Neill having made it clear he wants the situation resolved.

But Reds boss Benitez says he has to sell before he can buy again to suggest Villa will have to wait if they want as much as they are asking for the player.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7533851.stm

Elano

« Reply #1282 on: July 31, 2008, 03:11:55 AM »

The £15million signing was unveiled today after completing his move from Blackburn.

And the former Arsenal star didn't waste any time stoking up the rivalry between the North London rivals.

Boyhood Spurs fans Bentley, 23, admitted he was amazed they wanted to sign him after his spell with the Gunners.

But the midfielder insists he jumped at the chance of joining Juande Ramos' revolution at White Hart Lane.

He said: “It means the world to join Tottenham.

“Gazza was my favourite player, all my mates are Tottenham fans and there’s a piece of my heart at this club.

“I didn’t think they would be interested in me and when it became available there was nowhere else I wanted to go.”

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #1283 on: July 31, 2008, 10:19:39 AM »
Villa call off Barry move to Reds

Aston Villa say that Gareth Barry will be staying at the club and not moving to Premier League rivals Liverpool.

Villa claim the Reds failed to meet a deadline to sign the midfielder, who stated he wanted to move to Anfield, and now any switch is off.

"During talks in the past few days, a final deadline to conclude this episode was set that all parties were aware of and agreed to," said a Villa statement.

"This deadline has now passed and so Gareth will remain with Villa."

Villa are believed to have slapped an £18m price tag on the 27-year-old and have rejected a number of bids from Liverpool which fall short of this figure.

It has proved an acrimonious affair with Villa boss Martin O'Neill clearly angered by the conduct of Liverpool counterpart Rafael Benitez's attempts to lure his side's prize asset away from the Midlands club.

Barry's desire to leave Villa for the Reds has been evident and he was ordered not to report for pre-season training by O'Neill after criticising him in a newspaper interview.

But as the saga raged on this summer, the England international has played for the side in a recent friendly and came on as a substitute in their Intertoto Cup win over Odense.

Villa's ire will have been increased by the fact that Liverpool have splashed out £19m for Tottenham striker Robbie Keane, with the fee possibly reaching £20.3m with add-ons.

The latest statement from Villa could be attempting to prod Liverpool into action over Barry, with O'Neill having made it clear he wants the situation resolved.

But Reds boss Benitez says he has to sell before he can buy again to suggest Villa will have to wait if they want as much as they are asking for the player.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7533851.stm

according to the bbc its now back on lol

Gareth Barry's proposed move to Liverpool could yet go ahead despite Aston Villa stating he will be staying with them, BBC Sport understands.

Liverpool failed to meet Villa's deadline of Wednesday to sign the 27-year-old England midfielder.

That led Villa to announce the deal was off, yet Liverpool remain eager to sign Barry and he wants to move to Anfield.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill and chairman Randy Lerner are due to meet Barry and his agent for talks later this week.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has said he needs to sell players before he can meet Villa's valuation for Barry, which is believed to be £18m.

Villa manager O'Neill said on Wednesday that he was "absolutely delighted" Barry would be staying at Villa Park and "relieved there is resolution and closure to the transfer saga".

He added: "Now we can all look forward to the season ahead with relief, anticipation and ambition."

Villa have already rejected a number of bids from Liverpool that fell short of their valuation for the player.

O'Neill has made no secret of his displeasure at Liverpool's conduct in trying to sign Barry and the player himself was ordered not to report for pre-season training after criticising his manager in a newspaper interview.

But the England international played for Villa in a friendly against Walsall and came on as a substitute in their Intertoto Cup win over Odense.

Villa's ire will have been increased by the fact that Liverpool splashed out £19m for Tottenham striker Robbie Keane - with the fee possibly reaching £20.3m with add-ons - yet have been unwilling to match an £18m valuation for Barry

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #1284 on: July 31, 2008, 10:55:11 AM »
joey barton quote

"The first day's the toughest, no doubt about it. They march you in, hand you your uniform and force you to pose for the photographer while loads of fat, tattooed, skinheads shout abuse at you. That's when you know it's for real. A whole life blown away in the blink of an eye. Nothing left but all the time in the world to think about it. That's when it hits home. That's when you realise you've signed for Newcastle."

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1285 on: July 31, 2008, 11:00:49 AM »
LMAO!!!

Lil White Azz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Always stay G`d Up
« Reply #1286 on: July 31, 2008, 11:02:50 AM »
joey barton quote

"The first day's the toughest, no doubt about it. They march you in, hand you your uniform and force you to pose for the photographer while loads of fat, tattooed, skinheads shout abuse at you. That's when you know it's for real. A whole life blown away in the blink of an eye. Nothing left but all the time in the world to think about it. That's when it hits home. That's when you realise you've signed for Newcastle."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1287 on: August 01, 2008, 04:20:29 AM »
Spurs bid for Arshavin rejected

Tottenham have had a bid for Zenit St Petersburg striker Andrei Arshavin rejected, BBC Sport has learned.

It is believed the transfer fee offered for the 27-year-old was below the asking price of about £20m that the Russian club are demanding.

Arshavin is keen to join Juande Ramos' side and is hopeful Spurs will come back with an improved offer.

But, it is understood that Tottenham are also considering other options, including Roman Pavlyuchenko.

Spurs are believed to have had initial talks with the £15m-rated Spartak Moscow striker last week, although no deal had been agreed.

However, Arshavin's agent Dennis Lachter is still hopeful that his client will be heading to north London.

"It is my prediction that Arshavin is going to be a Tottenham player this season," Denis Lachter told BBC Radio Five Live on Thursday.

"He just rejected a huge, huge offer to renew his contract for another five years. He would like to leave for the Premier League."

In July, Arshavin's hopes of a dream move to Barcelona collapsed after the Catalan side also failed to meet Zenit's valuation for their prize asset.

Arshavin was suspended for Russia's opening two games at Euro 2008, but on his return helped the national team to the semi-finals, scoring two goals en route, while 26-year-old Pavlyuchenko scored three times.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7537039.stm

i bet he won't go anywhere. the valuation of him is far too high.

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1288 on: August 01, 2008, 04:22:36 AM »
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
Third qualifying round draw:

Anorthosis/Rapid Vienna v Olympiakos
Vitoria Guimaraes v IFK Gothenburg/Basel
Shakhtar Donetsk v Domzale/Dinamo Zagreb
Schalke 04 v Atletico Madrid
Aalborg/Modrica v RANGERS/Kaunas
Barcelona v Beitar Jerusalem/Wisla Krakow
Levski Sofia v Anderlecht/BATE
Standard Liege v LIVERPOOL
Inter Baku/Partizan v Fenerbahce/MTK Budapest
FC Twente v ARSENAL
Spartak Moscow v Drogheda/Dinamo Kiev
Juventus v Tampere/Artmedia
SK Brann/Ventspils v Marseille
Fiorentina v Slavia Prague
Galatasaray v Steaua Bucharest
Panathinaikos/Dinamo Tbilisi v Sheriff Tiraspol/Sparta Prague

First legs to be played on 12/13 August, second legs on 26/27 August.

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1289 on: August 01, 2008, 04:23:52 AM »
Arsenal face McClaren's FC Twente

Arsenal were handed an intriguing tie against former England boss Steve McClaren's FC Twente in the Champions League third qualifying round.

McClaren was appointed by the Dutch side in June this year, taking his first job since he was sacked by England in November 2007.

Liverpool have been drawn against Belgium's Standard Liege.

And Rangers will play the winner of the second-round match between Aalborg and Modrica if they can overcome Kaunas.

Rangers drew 0-0 at Ibrox in the first leg of their second round qualifier against the Lithuanian side on Wednesday and will play the return leg next week.

McClaren has pitted his wits against Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger before, when he was in charge of Middlesbrough.

But it is unlikely he will relish retuning to England for a match that Arsenal will be strong favourites to win.

McClaren may not be the only coach returning to his native country as former Arsenal boss Bruce Rioch could be taking Danish champions Aalborg to Rangers.

Former Scotland captain Rioch's side have a 5-0 first-leg lead over Modrica so should make it through to the third qualifying round.

Liverpool, who were beaten by Chelsea in the semi-finals last year, will fancy their chances of getting past Standard Liege.

The Reds will play their first leg away from home - as will Arsenal and Rangers, too, provided the Glasgow side make it through.

Elsewhere in the draw, highly-fancied Barcelona will play either Beitar Jerusalem or Wisla Krakow and Italian giants Juventus face Tampere United or Artmedia Bratislava.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7535622.stm