Author Topic: PHAT & WACK AWARDS  (Read 96 times)

=[Euthanasia]=

PHAT & WACK AWARDS
« on: July 20, 2001, 11:23:46 AM »
Check this shit out, it's from Davey D's Hip-Hop corner....it's hella long though,but a good read  ;D

A WACK Award goes out to P-Diddy for his latest brush with the law. For those who don't know, P-Diddy is wanted by Miami police for drunk and reckless driving. He was spotted drivinga ferrari belonging to TLC producer Dallas Austin, while enroute to a local strip club. He supposedly almost hit a couple of pedestrians before escaping into the strip joint. When police arrived on the scene a short time later they arrested a passenger who was seated with P-Diddy after they discovered a bag of weed inside the car. It's hard to understand P-Diddy and his on going troubles. Here the man just barely escaped going to jail. His partner Shyne is serving out 15 years. P has just completed a movie 'Made Men' and has released a new album that's half way decent and yet he still can't stay free of drama.. Some one please help this brother..

A PHAT Award goes out to long time Bay Area producer Al Eaton. For those who don't know Eaton, he is Too Short's early producer who was responsible for many of his early hits like 'The Ghetto'. Anyway, Al descended upon the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco where we house the Hip Hop Museum Exhibit for their weekly Thursday Night Live sessions. He brought along with him members of Sly Stone's orginal band, members of Graham Central Station's orginal band, Dwayne Wiggins of Tony Toni Tone, Professor/ author Rickey 'Uhuru Maggot' Vincent, rap artist Funky Man and a number of other musicians and long time funkateeers. The topic for last night's jam session was the History of Funk music and its connection to Hip Hop. It was incredible. First of all, this super star collection of individuals who played together for the first time that night did an amazing job, which was complimented by local rappers from the audience like Naru and Bas-1 who offered up freestyles. The group went through a serious history lesson that spawned the early works of James Brown, Sly Stone and of course George Clinton. The group played examples of many of the riffs and funk beats used in popular rap songs while Funky Man and Ricky Vincent gave an indepth history lesson. People were left awestruck.. Major major props go to all the participants.. Again Al Eaton gets the PHAT Award of the week for assemblying the group..

Sad news in the world of rap for two people. First we having the tragic shooting of E-Money Bags who was gunned down inside his SUV in Queens Village earlier this week. E-Money Bags who's given name was Eric Smith had appeared on a number of projects with artists like Prodigy, Mussolini and Noreaga.. Here's how the article read in one of the local newspapers

Rapper Shot Dead in Queens Village
Cops: 3 or 4 gunmen sought in slaying
by Sean Gardiner and Cynthia Ramsaran
Staff Writers

A rapper known as E-Money Bags was gunned down inside his luxury sport utility vehicle by white-gloved gunmen who sped off in a Mercedes after a hit in Queens on Monday night.

Eric Smith, 29, of Brooklyn, was riddled with more than 10 bullets as he sat in his 1999 Lincoln Navigator near Witthoff Street and 111th Road in Queens Village.

Witnesses told police that either three or four men approached Smith's vehicle about 9:45 p.m. Monday. At least two of them fired 9-mm handguns at the rapper from such a close range that many of the shell casings ejected from their guns landed inside his SUV, police sources said.

Police sources said it appears that Smith, a fringe-rapper who recorded with some of the up-and-coming names in the business, may have been going for his own gun when he was shot because a .380-caliber handgun was found on the front floor of the vehicle.

Smith, who lives in the Glenwood Houses in East Flatbush, never had a breakthrough hit of his own but appeared on records with such notable rappers as Prodigy, Mussolini and Noreaga. And like many rappers, his lyrics make reference to a violent lifestyle.

Police said Smith had attended a barbecue and party at a friend's home on 111th Road just before he was killed. Throughout the evening, Smith repeatedly left the party to go to his SUV, police said. He was ambushed during one of those trips, police said.

A neighbor, who asked not to be named, said the attack "sounded like firecrackers" at first but she knew it was more serious when someone started screaming, "Oh my God, oh my God." A police source said there was no clear motive in the slaying.

The gunmen left a diamond-studded Rolex watch on Smith's wrist, $40 in cash in his pocket and his wallet - making robbery seem an unlikely motive, police sources said.

Detectives are looking into the possibility that the killing was drug-related. Smith had a criminal record that included drug charges and a bag of marijuana was found in his pocket, police sources said.

However, investigators' efforts have been hampered by party-goers, who "haven't been the most cooperative people in the world," one police source said.

Smith's family couldn't be reached for comment

The other sad situation involves BG of the Cash Money Millionaires. There are a number of unconfirmed reports coming out of New Orleans stating that the popular artists is in a coma from ODing on herion. We hope to God this story ain't true. We'll keep you posted as more details surface..

In other Cash Money news, Juvenile ran into trouble the other night while performing at the Civic Center in Jackson, Tennessee. Apparently he had the plug pulled mid way through his performance when management at the center concluded that he was cursing too much. According to reports, the venue hadn't hosted a rap concert in almost 11 years and agreed to have Juvenile under the condition he not curse.. A large audience which included young kids and their parents showed up. Unfortunately Juvenile went against his word.. He gets a WACK Award for that.. The director of the Civic Center gets a WACK Award for not refunding the patron's money.

A PHAT Award goes out to Outkast who are set to launch their own clothing line which will be called 'Outkast Clothing'. Now as you know Outkast, especially Andre has been known to wear some pretty colorful and unusual outfits. I mean homeboy has worn everything from funny hats to bright colored skirts. I'm not sure if their new line of clothing will reflect their eccentric tastes, but we're proud they are entering into the fashion arena.

A PHAT Award goes out to KRS-One who is scheduled to host the talk show Politically Incorrect sometime next week. He'll be co-hosting with regular host Bill Maher for a special edition titled Gangster vs Gangsta.. Mafia vs Gangs. The show will focus on the impact and differences between gangs from the hood and gangs within the mainstream like the mob.. The taping has already been done.. Lets hope KRS represented to the fullest..

A Phat Award goes out to Treach who is set to star in a movie called Conviction which is based upon the true story Carl Upchurch, who organized the first national gang summit in Kansas City in 1993. Also featured in the film will be Omar Epps and Charles S. Dutton. The film should be out sometime early next year.. Also a Phat Award goes out to Omar Epps who is set to drop an album real soon. He has inked a deal with Priority Records.. Lets hope his album doesn't garner him a Wack Award.

A Wack Award goes out to the criminal justice system for senetencing Wu-Tang member ODB to 2-4 years for drug possession. ODB needs help not prison.. With all the mayhem and drama this man has been through, it is obvious that jail is not the answer. Before his sentencing ODB was on a suicide watch after he attempted to slit his wrists.. That's how bad things are for this brother. We wish him the best.. In other ODB news, Elektra records will be releasing a greates hits album from him called Free Dirty.

more.....

Top Ten Hip Hop Flicks
by - Adissa The Bishop
7/20/01 6:15:30 AM
Of all the things I have loved to watch, the penetration of Hip-Hop artists onto the big screen has really made me smile. Not that all these movies are Oscar award winners, but they reflected to the best of their ability what was going on at the time. Even on TV, watching Biggie on an old Martin re- run or peeping Ice-T on Law and Order, or seeing Lil Kim on DAG (who did a stellar job) is great for our community. Still I have always dreamed of having a Hip-Hop flick-a-thon. This is where I'd call up my homeboys Scape, Bas1, Encore, Ali, Blast, Green Eyed Marc, Slater, Jon-Paul, Gameboy and A to the K . I'd invite them fools come through after grabbing me some food at 7-11. Then I make some popcorn, grab me a Big Gulp and some Red Vines, and be posted on the couch so- once again it's on!

But what do I watch? I dunno. I think that I'd have to go for the following flicks. Granted, these may not all be the funniest, or have the freshest actors. But they were still in my opinion some of the highest quality Hip-Hop influenced flicks ever made. Hip Hop culture keepers beware!! Wild Style and Beat Street did NOT make the list. Simply because as nostalgic and historic as those flicks are, those movies sucked. I'll take the highlight clips from those flicks any day. But have any of you cats ever really sat through Wild Style?! Oh MAN that movie was bad. So put on your fat laces and crease you khakis my peoples 'cause it's movie time, baby! In random order we got:

1. Style Wars (documentary)
2. Crush Groove
3. Boys in the Hood
4. South Central
5. Lockdown
6. Higher Learning
7. House Party
8. Friday
9. The Breaks
10. Do The Right Thing

The book to get is Assata, by Assata Shakur. The album to get is "Blacktrash" by Sticky Fingaz. It's easily one of the best albums of the year.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.