Author Topic: I need new brakes...  (Read 482 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

I need new brakes...
« on: October 08, 2007, 10:56:16 AM »
My shit sounds like metal grinding against crocodile teeth...I've been abusing the shit out of my brakes. I know how to install brakes, so does anyone know where I can get some decent brake pads? And does anyone know how long it takes until the damage is so bad that it needs more than just pads? Because I've been driving on bad brakes for probably over a month now. Now it sounds really terrible...Been laggin' on the repairage, but I really need it badly now. Where can I get good pads?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 12:07:38 PM by Now_I_Know »

acgrundy

Re: I need new breaks...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 12:01:39 PM »
They are called brakes...and if you have worn out your brake pads too long ago you could have damaged your rotors.  You can get brake pads at any auto store...kragen always will match the price of any competitor plus take an additional 5% off.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: I need new brakes...
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 12:05:04 PM »
^^My bad...yea, brakes...how easy is it to damage the rotors? I mean, the way my shit sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if that already happened...Is that extremely expensive to replace?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
And also, about how much should the pads cost on their own? I know to get my brakes done, it would be around 250-300 bux...but how much do they usually sell just the pads for?

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
damn man that sucks i remember when i had to replace my brakes. sounded awful I got onto of that asap.

Wild_Elmo

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 12:44:18 PM »
the cheapest brakes are like 30 bucks which are the ones i always get. ceramic brakes (lifetime) are like 60 bucks, which i dont recommend. all ceramic brakes do is eat up your rotor. so you would end up replacing the rotors instead of the brakes. but rotors arent that hard to replace anyway. prices vary, you can pay up to 30 bucks for each rotor, or you can find them for cheaper, maybe 20 for both. depends where you go.

acgrundy

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 12:46:04 PM »
lol, $300 to get your brake pads replaced?  Brake pads cost between $30 and $50 depending on whether whether u get lifetime pads, or a limited mileage warranty.  You can't tell if your rotors are damaged by the sound you hear, but it could be a clue...you have to look at them.  You can either have them resurfaced or buy new ones.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 12:52:29 PM »
lol, $300 to get your brake pads replaced?  Brake pads cost between $30 and $50 depending on whether whether u get lifetime pads, or a limited mileage warranty.  You can't tell if your rotors are damaged by the sound you hear, but it could be a clue...you have to look at them.  You can either have them resurfaced or buy new ones.

I'm not talking about just buying the pads, I'm talking about getting them done...this dude by my work was tryna give me a "special neighbor deal" at $250 to get them replaced. That's why I wanted to just buy the pads and replace them myself. Thanks for the info...PeACe

acgrundy

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 12:54:11 PM »
I know you are talking about getting them done, $250 is ridiculous...changing brake pads is easy

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 12:55:08 PM »
Also...has anyone heard about the organic pads? supposedly, they don't make a noise, even after they're worn down. and they last much longer...anybody have a clue what those organic pads are all about?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 12:56:18 PM »
I know you are talking about getting them done, $250 is ridiculous...changing brake pads is easy

Yea, that's what I was saying, I knew it was a rip... but then about 3 different people told me it was in the same price range...one of my homies even had his fucking 1999 Honda Civic done for $250. :-X

acgrundy

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 01:17:20 PM »
why the hell would you want brake pads that don't make a noise?  The purpose of the noise is to let you know that your pads are worn down and they soon need to be replaced.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 02:04:26 PM »
That's what I told my friend who told me about them...LOL

Bay Area Jat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fremont A's
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 02:05:47 PM »
sounds like u may need new rotors also
I've forgot more about music and sports than you will ever know!!!

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 03:13:11 PM »
250 bucks for brakes?  what kind of car do you got? that's how much MINE cost but that's because i get the high end shit

if you got some little car like a honda or something it should be like 75-100 TOPS

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09