Author Topic: Thoughts on Jigga´s "American Gangster"  (Read 249 times)

Lazar

Thoughts on Jigga´s "American Gangster"
« on: November 10, 2007, 03:08:19 PM »
So, the record is now out for a good week and I wanna hear your final thoughts about "American Gangster".

IMO the album is pretty good. After the first listening I was not really impressed but I grown on that shit. Maybe one of Jigga´s best five albums and easily one of the best rap cd´s of 07. Favorite tracks are "Pray" (I love the vocal sample they use on the beat and Jigga came with some straight fire lines), "Say Hello" (insane beat by DJ Toomp with Jay-Z rapping exactly on the point), "Party Life" (wonderful laid back beat) and "No Hook". I also feeling "Ignorant Shit" (Beanie Sigel came fucking hard on his 8 bars), "Fallin´", "American Dreamin´" and "Roc Boys". The track with Nas is good too but it´s the same with "Success" as it was with "Black Republicans": I was expecting a classic joint when Jay and Nas making a track together. Wackest track is "Hello Brooklyn 2.0". Weezy sounds like he got a fist in his asshole *lol*

Overall a good album. I would rate it with 4/5

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Thoughts on Jigga´s "American Gangster"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 03:11:18 PM »
haven't even listened to it and I know its whack  ;D

d-nice

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 03:12:38 PM »
I liked it. Jay sounded hungry again on the mic. KC he sounded half sleep on most tracks, this one his punchlines were sharp and his storytelling raps were good.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 03:15:48 PM »
pretty good review. i agree, hello brooklyn 2.0 was deff the most wack track. weezy was BEYOND wack! as for the rest of the cd, pretty fuckin good. a few songs here and there that were kinda ehhh, but fallin', roc boyz, ignorant shit, no hook, success, party life, etc, was the SHIT! sweet was a good lyrical song, but i didnt like the production :-\.

overall...i agree with you Lazar. American Gangster gets a 4/5

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 03:19:52 PM »
haven't even listened to it and I know its whack  ;D

obviously u dont know ;). its farthest thing from wack budd ;D

The Watcher

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 03:39:20 PM »
i would agree with that review pretty much, except fallin, success & no hook are probably my favourite tracks on the album
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 03:41:05 PM »
i would agree with that review pretty much, except fallin, success & no hook are probably my favourite tracks on the album

cant go wrong with those 3 songs 8)

Lil D

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 03:44:11 PM »
no hook
pray
fallin
=jay at his best, the hooks were awfull tho on the album, amazing production all over the album too
public enemy#1>>American Gangster>>Curtis

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 03:47:31 PM »
no hook
pray
fallin
=jay at his best, the hooks were awfull tho on the album, amazing production all over the album too

lmaooo theres like 10 other cds b4 curtis  ;D 8)

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 03:51:35 PM »
Jay gets an automatic pass from a lot of fans .....because he is Jay. And that's the honest truth. The album was cool at best. This is also coming from a fan of old Soul sound too. It was nice, don't get me wrong, but it's not the classic or near-classic that some people are making it out to be.

In a way it was good to tie it in to the movie, but it's also something that would have been better had he put a little more time in to it.
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 03:53:43 PM »
Jay gets an automatic pass from a lot of fans .....because he is Jay. And that's the honest truth. The album was cool at best. This is also coming from a fan of old Soul sound too. It was nice, don't get me wrong, but it's not the classic or near-classic that some people are making it out to be.

In a way it was good to tie it in to the movie, but it's also something that would have been better had he put a little more time in to it.

right bout not near a classic, but it also isnt awful, terrible, wack either. which is what im also hearing :-\. and wordd, good bout how it ties in with tha movie.

Boba Fettucini

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 03:55:08 PM »
i just dont like jays new style of rapping since kingdom come. he sounds lazy and fragile

Lil D

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 04:00:05 PM »
no hook
pray
fallin

lmaooo theres like 10 other cds b4 curtis  ;D 8)
^^Lol

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 04:04:01 PM »
i just dont like jays new style of rapping since kingdom come. he sounds lazy and fragile

ehh, i guess that has to do with personal opinon but i think this album was hot.

Boba Fettucini

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 04:05:04 PM »

ehh, i guess that has to do with personal opinon but i think this album was hot.

no of course, i liked the album too just his new style grinds my nerves a litle bit when i can easily just jump to reasonable doubt in my itunes and hear him rip tracks