Author Topic: Anyone Remember When They Used To Have Midnight Sales For Big Releases?  (Read 74 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
....those days are gone. 

I miss the old days when you used to have to wait in suspense and wonder what an album would sound like.  Then you would get it all at once, go for a one hour drive and listen to the album from beginning to end, gas was cheap then, I could fill my tank for $20 dollars.... ahhhh, the good old days. 

At midnight, Aug. 4th I bought Snoop's "Game Is.." album.  This was when I was 16.  I had been anticipating the release of the album for nearly 6 months.  It was about 6 months prior to the release date that Snoop joined Master P on stage at a concert and announced that he had signed to the label and they immediately gave the release date.  With No Limit you could expect that it was likely for them to honor that release date because they could produce albums in a matter of weeks.  Snoop said the whole album from beginning to end only took him 3 weeks (as indicated by the quality of the album).  Anyway, it was really crowded that night, Snoop hadn't put out a solo album since 1996, and he was my favorite rapper at the time.  No Limit was on top of the industry, so the promotion for the album was huge.  The line outside blockbuster music that night stretched about 50 people deep.  It was exciting.  Then I got the album, and the first track I was really feeling... It had that signature No Limit sound, but I didn't mind... then, the next few tracks all had me hype, soon I was thinking it was a classic... then suddenly, a dozen or tracks later I reached the end of the album and depression set in.... SNOOP HAD FALLEN OFF AND THE ALBUM WAS TRASH.  I felt like just throwing it out of my car.  I kept listening for the next few weeks trying to convince myself it was decent.  Eventually I gave up.  Fortunately, less than a year later Snoop redeemed himself with No Limit Top Dogg album because of the 3 Dre produced tracks and the Meach Wells joints.   

Everyone should share their stories about albums they bought at midnight sales.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)