Author Topic: Man I miss record stores  (Read 405 times)

swangin and bangin

Re: Man I miss record stores
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 10:31:21 AM »
fuck them, most record stores are run by fucking retards
when the styles p album droped in December the store i went to didnt even have it out, they "forgot" and since i asked them if they had any they decided to put it on shelf.
how is the nigga suppose to sell if his shit aint out the fucking loading docks

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 11:57:12 AM »
I hardly ever go and buy a cd now, mainly because they hardly ever have what i want.

I still buy and dont download retail albums but i order them from the net.

Im one of those people who still enjoys unwrapping the package and reading the booklet.

Same here. I enjoy reading details about songs: where it was recorded, at which studio, which musicians contributed to the song. That kind of stuff.

And yes, I also prefer walking into a record store than one of those big chains à la Best Buy ("Media Markt" in Belgium or Holland). The atmosphere in a record store is just...cosier. Don't really know how to describe it. Buying cd's in Best Buy-kind-of-shops is like buying products from a supermarket, whereas buying cd's in a record shop has that more unique feel to it.

But like I said, I rarely buy albums these days in record stores. The prices are way too high compared to the ones on Amazon.co.uk for instance. I simply wait to place my order until I've got 3 or 4 cd's I really want (usually takes half a year or more), and with the shipping costs added, I STILL make profit.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 12:04:20 PM by CRAFTY »

Dubz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 12:45:44 PM »
the store near my house totally sleeps on shit outside of the east. they just got WC, like 6 months late. Scarface and Trae were both late, too. It's shitty. This place is the shit, though:

www.undergroundhiphop.com

their HQ is located in Boston, but i highly recommend a lot of yall ordering shit from there. they really do have have top notch shit if youre a big rap fan. its not just underground, per say, but its all dope. one of the only real hip hop stores i know of. hiiiighly recommend if you dont already know it. bundy knows whats up.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 02:46:35 PM »
One place I go at is crazy. Got's everythang. Vinyls off the wall, literally. CD's and clothes. It's called Urban Industries. That's like the one place in Waterbury.

We got madd other CD stores and records shops but wit very few records in them. :-\

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 02:51:19 PM »
fuck them, most record stores are run by fucking retards
when the styles p album droped in December the store i went to didnt even have it out, they "forgot" and since i asked them if they had any they decided to put it on shelf.
how is the nigga suppose to sell if his shit aint out the fucking loading docks

Yeah, cosign.. My local record store didn't even have UGK's record, and it's probably the biggest chain in Norway. I asked them to order it, checked it a cpl of weeks after - they STILL didn't have it. So, I had to order from their site.

kemizt

We Fly High

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 03:19:20 PM »
Yessir, only place i go to is Amoebas in hollywood... luckily Amoebas is pretty damn good, so im able to find a lot of stuff. Pretty damn good selecton of used 12"s. Definitely by far the most comprehensive of any store ive been to. and it has such a presence in LA, that a lot of people are always sellin their old records/music to the store.. And theres always the rarer records on the wall. Staff is very knowledgable too and friendly. 

Additionally, I dont even buy CD's anymore, so most music stores dont even pique my interest.

Most record stores have been cleaned and picked out, so there aint much used selection... Amoeba's gets picked out too, but the constant cycling of used music going in, keeps the inventory somewhat fresh.

Within one year of going there every weekend, I was able to get my vinyl game REAL TIGHT. Partly because i was getting a lot of store credit, but my vinyl collection now looks like it took several years to build, when in actuality it only took me one.

Some random gems and rarities ive found at Amoeba's:
Above the Law - Black Superman (picture cover)
Digital Underground - Freaks of the Industy red promo vinyl
latyrx - lady dont tek no
nike - better than ive ever been
bg knocc out - real brothers
camp lo - uptown saturday night
comptons most wanted - its a compton thang
low profile - we're all in this together OG print
D'angelo - brown sugar LP test press

among many others.....
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 03:21:54 PM by We Fly High »

D~Nice

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 05:55:15 PM »
i want to own one so bad, im going to see were the future of music takes us, and ill try to see if i can make in coincide with that, cause a cd store would leave me broke, and vinyl, as dope as it is, is hardly the hot item on the market

Word? That is what I want to do also.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 07:03:07 PM »
i miss taking like 20 mintues trying to get all the wrapping off, and then laying down and bumpin sum music. it was before i heard the entire album on the internet, so except for the singles out, everything else would be a surprize. it was the best...damn, miss that. :-\

Dubz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 07:25:59 PM »
word. even now i still try to keep from listening to anything except maybe the singles of albums that are gonna be dope/big.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 07:28:54 PM »
word. even now i still try to keep from listening to anything except maybe the singles of albums that are gonna be dope/big.

yea, everything sounds mad old, mad fast.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 07:32:40 PM »
I DOn't know about you guys..but i go tot he record store almost everyday!!!
I tend to check on new music, things that i don't have..or just generally browse through other genres of music..
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

D~Nice

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 07:33:33 PM »

I have been pretty good about doing that the last 2 years. It was cool to be in record stores during the whole 50/Kanye buzz.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 07:36:18 PM »

I have been pretty good about doing that the last 2 years. It was cool to be in record stores during the whole 50/Kanye buzz.

word? how was it? i havent been to a record store in a MINUTE.

D~Nice

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »

Just seeing the banners up and them running promos for it was cool to see. When I worked for Wherehouse it was always like that. I remember when 2001 came out. It was madness it there.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 07:44:49 PM »

Just seeing the banners up and them running promos for it was cool to see. When I worked for Wherehouse it was always like that. I remember when 2001 came out. It was madness it there.

wonder what it'll be like when detox drops. will it be OD downloaded? bought in stores? would love to see dre go platnium plus, but in todays world...i dont know if thats possible. :-\