Poll

Do you prefer mixtapes/compilations to have the songs mixed in together?

Yes, it gives it a better flow and shows skill and creativity
6 (22.2%)
It doesn't matter, as long as the songs are good!
1 (3.7%)
Nah, I'd rather have the songs separate so I can take the ones I like together
13 (48.1%)
Yes, but only if there aren't any random shoutouts, DJ Drops, too many effects and rewinds, or cuttin songs off too short
7 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Do you prefer mixtapes/compilations to have the songs mixed in together?  (Read 294 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
For those of you who know me as a producer, I have been DJing a lot for the last few months, and haven't really been on the production tip as much.

I post on a few DJ sites, and on one of them, they were saying that "real DJs" don't make mixtapes or compilations without mixing the songs in, having effects, and all that. Before I started DJing, I never cared for mixtapes or albums where the songs were mixed in, usually because I'd take the songs I liked most and put them on my own playlists or CDs, and because of all the effects, shoutouts, rewinds, and all that. However, being that I mix and all that now, I can appreciate these mixtapes more, and I am thinking about making a few where I am mixing everything together.

Let me know how you feel about this...thanks!

smegma

Re: Do you prefer mixtapes/compilations to have the songs mixed in together?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 01:57:09 AM »
I voted for option three. When I'm in the club it's important that the songs are mixed in together, but when I'm playing a cd on my computer, in my room or wherever I wanna be able to skip through the songs and start each song from the start.

Cheese

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 02:01:39 AM »
I prefer seperate songs.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 02:37:05 AM »
I voted for option three. When I'm in the club it's important that the songs are mixed in together, but when I'm playing a cd on my computer, in my room or wherever I wanna be able to skip through the songs and start each song from the start.

That's how I always felt.

I was doing an Old School event one day, and some older dudes came and said I should make some mix CDs with the songs mixed in the way I was doin it.

I just think it's somethin DJs seem to care more about. I've seen DJs on here bash dudes like DJ Clue for not mixin the songs together on his tapes.

smegma

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 02:40:11 AM »
I just think it's somethin DJs seem to care more about. I've seen DJs on here bash dudes like DJ Clue for not mixin the songs together on his tapes.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. It shows the DJ's skills, but I really don't care how good a DJ is unless he's playing in the club. lol

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 04:26:32 AM »
It depends when the tracks were released. If there new tracks i prefer them seperate but if its a mix cd with classic tracks on them that the majority of people heard then i like them to be mixed.

Something that you could put on at a party and just let it play.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Fresco

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 04:43:45 AM »
I miss the good old time when we copped a tape for the Dj's performance (scratching, mixing...) instead of the tracklist...

EXPOSEPONCESENT

• 'G'
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 06:09:25 AM »
it depends, sometimes i like blend tapes were the tunes are mixed in together like back in the day, other times i like mixtapes witout the mixing so i can get the tunes separetly onto a ipod or mix-cd

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 07:00:46 AM »

kemizt

Lunatic

Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

We Fly High

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 12:12:49 PM »
all good mixtapes better have their shit flowing from beginning to end. for me, mixtapes are more to create a mood or atmosphere. (I dont really listen to rap mixtapes anymore, cos 99% of them are wack)..

Separate tracks dont belong on mixtapes (maybe on rap ones), but thats what regular cds are for, or go burn some mp3s.

A good mixtape maintains a flow and encourages the listeners to ride out the whole cd, therefore eliminating the need to skip or have separate tracks.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 12:29:05 PM by We Fly High »

Okka

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 12:29:47 PM »
voted: Nah, I'd rather have the songs separate so I can take the ones I like together

acgrundy

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 12:31:53 PM »
if every song is good, then I like it mixed together and flowing.  but if I only like a song or two, then I don't really like that.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 12:40:47 PM »
I voted Yes, it gives it a better flow and shows skill and creativity. But it really doesn't matter to me. But what I'm about to say, I may be the only one to like it like this but maybe not, anyways, I like that shit when all the songs flow together and mix well, with the effects over them, not too much the rewinds 15 times but the shouts one in a while don't bother me, the sirens and shit though, I like that shit. LOL. The sound effects is fire imho.

What I can't stand it when songs don't fit wit each other at all and they try to mix them. If the beats don't flow with each other, pause the music, or pause the music with a tag and THAN play the next song, ya feel me? I fuckin' LOVE mixes though, esp. if they ill records. Shit is hype.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 07:58:22 PM »
Thanks for all of the input.

What I plan to do is drop about 5-6 mixtapes that all contain classic tracks, but all have a theme and flow together. The ones I have thought about are:

Soulful/conscious style (Common, Talib, Raheem, Nas)
New Jack Swing
Funk
Old vs. New, where I'd mix songs together that sampled each other, but mix it in to where you won't really notice the new song is on
West Coast obscure classics, meaning songs that are dope and classic to us true fans, but weren't the top ten hits
West Coast true classics
Up-tempo club
Hyphy mix
New club tracks mix...with most songs being tracks that aren't really as known to most people, but go hard

So yeah..that's just an idea. I will probably put them up for free download...I'm really just doin it for fun. I think I need about 2-3 weeks more practice on the 1200's, and I'll be good to go.