Author Topic: ESPN News reporting Shaq for Marion trade  (Read 1272 times)

reguLAtor

• 'G'
Re: ESPN News reporting Shaq for Marion trade
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008, 02:12:50 AM »
It would be more like Shaq v. Bynum now.  Or at least Shaq v. Bynum for 10-12 minutes per game. 

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 06:34:38 AM »
I agree with this... makes no sense.

Shaq trade just wouldn't add up for Suns
By John Hollinger
ESPN Insider

The Phoenix Suns have the best record in the Western Conference, a game and a half ahead of their closest rival. They have the best scoring margin in the conference. They're 8-2 in their past 10 games (while outscoring opponents by nine points per game). And the Suns have a slew of home games coming up because their early schedule was so road-heavy.

In other words, after 48 games they're in as good a position as they've ever been in to win their first conference title since Sir Charles and KJ did it 15 years ago.

And their solution? Blow it up!

The Suns are reportedly in negotiations to trade Shawn Marion -- a man everyone agrees is a vital cog in their attack because of his ability to run opponents into submission from the power forward spot -- for Shaquille O'Neal. (The Suns would include Marcus Banks.)

Good call. Clearly this Nash-Marion-Stoudamire nucleus isn't working out; they've won only 62 and 61 games the two years they were together. This year they were on pace for a meager 58, so I guess they thought it had run its course.

My first reaction to hearing reports about this deal was that I was being Punk'd. After that, I checked the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1, and verified that the voice on the other end of the phone didn't belong to Orson Welles.

But there was no Ashton Kutcher, no Orson Welles, and the calendar says it's February.

Believe it or not, this is a real, live trade discussion that might actually happen. I'm not sure I've adequately conveyed my shock at this development, but suffice it to say nobody I've talked to finds it even remotely sensible.

Shaq may be the one player who is least capable of thriving in the Suns' system. Run the break? No, thank you. Set a high screen and dive to the cup? Maybe 10 years ago. Space the floor for 3s? Please.

He's 35 and out of shape; at the moment he's also hurt. Even when healthy, he's had difficulty staying out of foul trouble long enough to make an impact. While I'll grant that Shaq can still be an offensive force -- even with his struggles this year his PER is a very solid 18.17 -- he's toasted regularly on defense. And if you thought Marion complained about not getting shots, you ain't heard nothing yet.

Even if you subscribe to the idea that Marion had to go -- there have been mutterings about his attitude for quite a while -- you can't seriously tell me this was the best deal on the table.

While matching his $17 million contract is difficult, the fact that there's only a year and a half left on it means there are partners out there. Just thinking out loud, for instance, you'd think New Jersey would have taken Marion in a heartbeat for Vince Carter or Richard Jefferson, and the Andrei Kirilenko deal that was so heavily discussed before the season also would seem preferable.

Marion, by the way, hadn't let his dissatisfaction and his own offseason trade demand affect his play. His 20.25 PER nearly matches last year's 20.87, and he's made up for a reduction in shots by cutting his turnovers and increasing his assists.

But despite his performance they're trading him for an older, less effective player, and one who could not be more of a square peg in a round hole in their system.

And get this -- the deal will worsen their cap situation, too. Shaq is on the books for two years after this one at $20 million a pop, whereas Marion only has one year left at less money, and may opt out after this season. So in addition to messing up their own team, the Suns will be basically handing Pat Riley a big fat Get Out of Jail Free card.

In short, this deal feels like one of these movie scenes where the lead character has a plan and says, "It's crazy ... but it just might work!"

I'm not sure about the working part, but it's definitely crazy. I'm praying this trade doesn't really happen, because the Suns have been too entertaining for too long to screw up their title chances like this.

John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=ShaqSuns080206&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dhollinger_john%26page%3dShaqSuns080206

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2008, 06:38:35 AM »
But think about this...All teams have to do is slow down the Suns to beat them, make them run their half court offense.  When this happens, Suns can counter w/ Shaq down low.  I don't see him getting much PT when they're runnin and gunnin.

I think a change of scenery, getting away from his divorce bullshit, getting in shape, resting his injuries, and playing for a contender in the west - Shaq could potentially go 20/10 when they hit playoff time.  Shaq has no shooters in Miami, but PHX?  They can shoot.  They will spread the floor for him.  Shaq will still command a double.

Not saying it will def happen, but yall have to admit regardless, shit will be interesting.

Without a big man, The Lakers were going to kill the Suns.  Now it won't be as easy. 

PLANT

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2008, 07:03:42 AM »
Its gonna be interesting to see how Shaq fits in with the Suns.  Could be great or terrible.  We'll have to wait and see.  I hope they rest him up till hes 100% healthy tho.  If thats possible?

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008, 07:26:05 AM »
I'm Going to have to disagree with all Of You And Say The Suns have Just made a Great Move.
They shake A Player in Marion Who Don't Want To be There And gain A championship Ready veteran in Shaq
Who Defo Knows How To Win And can Offer the "Almost There" Sun's a spark, That In Turn could
also Jumpstart The Desiel.

+ Shaq's pressence alone will only free up everyone else with him simply on the court.
which will in turn free Shaq up and he will be getting some of the easiest baskets in his life. (IMO, he don't even need to run)
Nash Will Sppon feed O'Neal on The Inside. Let's not forget Shaq's passing Ability...
+ Twin Towers With O'Neal And Stoudemire..
Great Move For Phoenix.

How many games do We have against them Left?
The Second half of the season is gonna be even better in The West.

East keep getting weaker.

My Reasons This Trade is...
#1. Being a Shaq fan it Suck's To See a legend like O'neal Being Moved again
#2. It Suck's We Will have To face Him More Than twice A Season Now!
#3. Great Move for Miami, Now D.Wade Has a Robin to his Batman, let's see how the Cape Fit's D.Wade. (It's Shaq Size)
#4. (Proves )The Laker's Have Earthquaked The entire League, Even The Announcer's are Blowing Them Now (ESPN..ect)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 09:16:22 AM by Hatesrats™ »

F-cisco

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2008, 09:07:56 AM »
I don't see it happening. Suns passed on KG this summer, he plays with so much passion and is a MVP candidate. Why would they want 35 year old broken down center?

Suns didn't pass on KG, they just wanted Marion+Barbosa and then some...This trade makes no sense for Phoenix. They wont even get 40 games a year out of Shaq at this stage and he doesn't even fit into their offense to begin with. If this goes down, the Heat might have pulled a bigger steal than the Lakers.

The Suns had Garnett for the taking. Minnesota wanted Amare in the trade package because of Marion threatening to opt-out of his contract(remember it was three team deal), if traded to Boston. Kerr decided to stick with a guy who at the age of 24, has undergone knee surgery twice and is a liability on the defensive end. Absolutely inexcusable. 

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2008, 09:18:15 AM »
I don't understand this at all. The Suns are the team with the broke GM who would SELL first round picks. LOL. How is he willing to trade for Shaq, who keeps making 20 mil for years. Money can't be the reason for this trade. Next, how does it make sense from a playing point of view. Shaq is WAY too slow for their run-run-run offense. LOL. He's declining as fuck, LOL@Shaq in 2 years. WTF
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2008, 09:45:15 AM »
Anyone listen to Jim Rome this morning?

"Shaq isn't motivated and he isn't hungry...Well, he is hungry...he's always hungry"

LMAO.

I didn't realize Steve Kerr was this retarded.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 09:49:12 AM »

Without a big man, The Lakers were going to kill the Suns.

LOL...why weren't you saying this before? Seriously, Phoenix couldn't have picked a worse player to add into their system. Shaq takes so long to get down the court that the opposing teams will be able to play 4 on 5. It will be interesting, but in a sad way. And don't forget, Shaq is the one who said Nash doesn't deserve those MVPS. :-X

Man On The Moon

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'll Be Posted With My Blunt and A Brew...
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2008, 09:49:47 AM »
That's fuckin' stupid.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2008, 09:52:40 AM »
I'm Going to have to disagree with all Of You And Say The Suns have Just made a Great Move.
They shake A Player in Marion Who Don't Want To be There And gain A championship Ready veteran in Shaq
Who Defo Knows How To Win And can Offer the "Almost There" Sun's a spark, That In Turn could
also Jumpstart The Desiel.

+ Shaq's pressence alone will only free up everyone else with him simply on the court.
which will in turn free Shaq up and he will be getting some of the easiest baskets in his life. (IMO, he don't even need to run)
Nash Will Sppon feed O'Neal on The Inside. Let's not forget Shaq's passing Ability...
+ Twin Towers With O'Neal And Stoudemire..
Great Move For Phoenix.

How many games do We have against them Left?
The Second half of the season is gonna be even better in The West.

East keep getting weaker.

My Reasons This Trade is...
#1. Being a Shaq fan it Suck's To See a legend like O'neal Being Moved again
#2. It Suck's We Will have To face Him More Than twice A Season Now!
#3. Great Move for Miami, Now D.Wade Has a Robin to his Batman, let's see how the Cape Fit's D.Wade. (It's Shaq Size)
#4. (Proves )The Laker's Have Earthquaked The entire League, Even The Announcer's are Blowing Them Now (ESPN..ect)

How is the east getting weaker if this is a great move for Miami?...Shaq is done, man. And even if he wasn't done, this is the worst fit for  Phoenix's system. Seriously, what kinda shit is this? They're gunna alter their offense that they swore could win a championship (while I knew it would never work) for a 36 year old broken down diesel? Come on, now...Phoenix just made the whole western conference extremely fuckin happy...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 09:53:47 AM »
I don't see it happening. Suns passed on KG this summer, he plays with so much passion and is a MVP candidate. Why would they want 35 year old broken down center?

Suns didn't pass on KG, they just wanted Marion+Barbosa and then some...This trade makes no sense for Phoenix. They wont even get 40 games a year out of Shaq at this stage and he doesn't even fit into their offense to begin with. If this goes down, the Heat might have pulled a bigger steal than the Lakers.

The Suns had Garnett for the taking. Minnesota wanted Amare in the trade package because of Marion threatening to opt-out of his contract(remember it was three team deal), if traded to Boston. Kerr decided to stick with a guy who at the age of 24, has undergone knee surgery twice and is a liability on the defensive end. Absolutely inexcusable. 

That's right...they wanted Amare in the deal too. Forgot about that. It was something like Marion+Amare+Barbosa for KG, which woulda been WAY better than this trade.

blue crew

• 'G'
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 10:18:19 AM »
hahaha @ the jew postin in here like 40 times with nothin but hate for the suns. the trade hasnt even happened yet and nobody has seen shaq with the suns and jewboy is already sayin its a horrible trade that wont work. what a hater. sounds exactly like the lil shiet the paleface was bitchin about with the gasol trade, and after just one game against the weac nets he crowned it the greatest trade ever. picc and choose hypocrite.  8)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2008, 10:26:58 AM »
I want to see Shaq and the Suns win the whole thing and beat the Lakers on the way just to read NIK's posts for the weeks after it happens.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2008, 10:31:07 AM »
I want to see Shaq and the Suns win the whole thing and beat the Lakers on the way just to read NIK's posts for the weeks after it happens.

Every person who is not a fan of the Lakers would think so, the bad part is that there are very slim chances... The Shaq-Version of the Suns has no real chance of beating the Lakers when Bynum, Gasol, Odom and Kobe are playing.  :-\
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin