Author Topic: The Soulquarians, what do you know about them ???  (Read 102 times)

Soopahigh

The Soulquarians, what do you know about them ???
« on: February 24, 2008, 02:07:50 AM »
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Soulquarians%2C+The

They're like a "supergroup" and were supposed to produce Al Green's next album.

Speak on it !

Soopahigh

Re: The Soulquarians, what do you know about them ???
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 11:15:36 AM »
no one knows about them ???

Sofa_King_Awesome

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Five poppin' Six droppin'
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 11:51:57 AM »
Can't say that I do. Break it down if u don't mine. Their catalog etc...
are you people that dumb and slow...lol...
Tuff one...but quik is up there...put it on me is classic imo and on some detox shit...dj lethal>>dj quik....rza>>premo.....dre>>>quik....rza=dre....dre, rza, quik, dj lethal>>>>>timberland, rockwielder, EIMINEM, mannie fresh

Sofa_King_Awesome

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Five poppin' Six droppin'
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 12:03:51 PM »
Ok, I just clicked the link given and that is a dope ass team. I love that joint they did on Bilal's album 8)
are you people that dumb and slow...lol...
Tuff one...but quik is up there...put it on me is classic imo and on some detox shit...dj lethal>>dj quik....rza>>premo.....dre>>>quik....rza=dre....dre, rza, quik, dj lethal>>>>>timberland, rockwielder, EIMINEM, mannie fresh

Joe Bonanno

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 12:11:49 PM »
thats  a lot of good fucking musicians in one group

Talbi Kweli, Common (kneeling), Mos Def, James Poyser, Erykah Badu, ?uestlove, D'Angelo, Q-Tip, Jay Dee aka. J Dilla (kneeling), Bilal

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »
looks good, but never heard of before

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »
its because it doesnt exist anymore..they did Common's Worst album.. but was still a good record lol

Big_Ron

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 03:09:05 PM »
I dont see why they dont just come with a album. Somebody should definitely make that happen.

everlast1986

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 03:28:48 PM »
They were pretty much a studio session/production group that worked on albums like D'Angelo's 'Voodo', Erykah Badu's 'Mamas Gun' and a handful of more projects.

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 04:02:39 PM »
i don't think they were much more than just a passing fad. a bunch of great artists realized that they were all born in the same month and decided to get together for a couple of meetings...nothing really came of it from what i understand...
check it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soulquarians

Members

* ?uestlove (Philadelphia)
    * Bilal (Philadelphia)
    * Common (Chicago)
    * D'Angelo (Richmond)
    * Erykah Badu (Dallas)
    * J Dilla (Detroit)(Deceased)
    * James Poyser (Philadelphia)
    * Mos Def (New York City)
    * Q-Tip (New York City)
    * Talib Kweli (New York City)
    * Raphael Saadiq (Oakland)

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 12:20:02 AM »
They produced arguably Common's best album (Like Water For Chocolate) and his most difficult to digest album (Electric Circus).  EC wasn't the worst album in hip hop history, it just tried too hard to be different.  At one time Questlove posted on his myspace page four throwaway beats from the EC sessions. I'll post them if requested....they were dope but most likely unused because they sounded similar to LWFC's style.

Soopahigh

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 08:32:08 AM »
i mean thats such a dope lineup  :o
lodoDodi can upload those instrumentals ?

Elano

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 02:45:55 PM »
http://www.epitaph.com/artists/artist/227/
http://www.anti.com/catalog/view/65/As_If_We_Existed
http://www.myspace.com/solilla 
http://www.solilla.com/

Sol.iLLaquists of Sound to Drop Anti-/Epitaph debut LP
As If We Existed on September 26, 2006

Thought-provoking hip-hop prot�g�s of hardcore rapper Sage Francis emerge

Sol.iLLaquists of Sound � prot�g�s of acclaimed, politically-minded rapper Sage Francis � will release their debut album through Anti-/Epitaph Records on September 26, 2006. Titled As If We Existed, the first studio offering from the dynamic, Orlando-based hip-hop collective is the next link in the chain of cerebral hip-hop.

Discovered by outspoken rapper Sage Francis, the Sol.iLLaquists� combustible live presence prompted the renowned MC to not only take the troupe on tour as a support act, but incorporate them into his live set. Now, with As If We Existed, S.O.S. offers up a thinking person�s brand of the genre.

Not content to just jam together, but actually live communally in a cramped, slightly overgrown Florida lakehouse, Sol.iLLaquists of Sound are a collective in every sense of the word. And it�s that sense of family translates to the thought stirring, vibe-steady compositions found on As If We Existed.

As activists, healers and vegans, the Sol.iLLaquists fuse intellect, spirituality and action, taking aim at specific issues like cultural revolution (�Black Guy Peace�), ethnic alcoholism (�Property & Malt Liquor�) and personal wellness (�Our 2 Cents�). Serving as both a harsh mirror and a challenge to rise above, As If We Existed prospers in the presence of MC Swamburger�s flow, a tongue-twisting, machine-gunning cadence whose precision is surgical in both rhythm and message.

Coupled with the technical skills of DiViNCi on MPC (Midi Production Center), The Sol.illaquists� facile, athletic beats and �Burger�s tense lines find balance in the soulful vocals of Alexandrah and Tonya Combs. Fusing critical messages with a multi-dimensional sound, As If We Existed is a public service announcement with spit. One listen and you�ll be well-grooved, dually enlightened and quite possibly inspired.

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 04:17:15 PM »
i mean thats such a dope lineup  :o
lodoDodi can upload those instrumentals ?
here ya go!
http://www.zshare.net/download/8144972deac7d1/
If you get a chance read the blog that shares some history behind each of these 4 instrumentals on ?uestlove's myspace page...