Author Topic: Busta Rhymes talks about why Big Bang wasn't succesfull sales wise  (Read 662 times)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Lol at Busta realising all this now, it was so obvious:

Busta Rhymes' The Big Bang was acclaimed as a sure-shot artistic favorite by fans and critics, so why did it underperform at stores after so much hype? Busta admits that the follow-through after "Touch It" was lacking. He said after all the hype about him joining forces with Dr. Dre, he figured the fans wanted to hear a record by the two of them as a single.

"I think that The Big Bang was my best album, overall," Busta started. "Out of all of my albums, that was my best body of work in one project, to me, from top to bottom. I don't really feel like there's anything that I wanted to do to regroup or change the situation. I just think that that album came out in a time where the transition was happening, in terms of just how the game is fluctuating right now. And I also feel like the single after 'Touch It,' you know, people waited three years to see that Big Bang album happen, so I think people were really looking forward to seeing a Busta Rhymes-produced-by-Dr.-Dre single. Especially after the 'Touch It' record and how big that was."

The problem, according to Bus, was actually him. Turns out he had a feeling about pushing "I Love My Chick" as the next single. He liked the song, just not as a follow-up to the Swizz Beatz smash that kicked off the album. But when the suits at the label suggested it be the next single, Bus graciously relented. Not this time with Back on My Bullsh--, he says.

"If you feel the slightest reluctance to do something, even if being a team player might mean compromising, don't compromise in the way that you're gonna have to live to regret," Busta said. "And that's creatively. [So] for me, I will never allow that process to happen in that way again. So I don't live with regret, because I learned from it." ...

mtv.com
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 08:06:38 AM by Meho »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: Busta Rhymes talks about why Big Bang wasn't succesfull sales wise
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 08:18:43 AM »
"If you feel the slightest reluctance to do something, even if being a team player might mean compromising, don't compromise in the way that you're gonna have to live to regret," Busta said. "And that's creatively. [So] for me, I will never allow that process to happen in that way again. So I don't live with regret, because I learned from it." ... [/i]

no it's either compromising or leave interscope.

dre single or not, he's not Eminem or 50 cent. besides, he would have never gotten a track like Break ya neck as a single for the Big Bang anyway.
so it can only get worse with back on my bs( Pharrel  ::) ); the Big Bang was the best possible with interscope for Busta Rhymes.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 08:27:31 AM by Dre-Day - Sniper of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 09:08:54 AM »
 :laugh:

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 09:39:52 AM »
...Well u Live and Learn..Can't wait on the enxt album!

Big Bang Theory was a Dope Album..I hated 'Touch It' though... :-X :-X :-X
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:14:42 AM »
I love my Chick was a good single... it still gets play on tv sometimes.

What Dre track would have done well? I guess the one with Missy would have smashed the clubs

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 11:31:06 AM »
If it were up to me I'd do it like this:

Street single: Get You Some
1ST single: Over Here or Don't Get Carried Away
2nd single: Been Through The Storm (everybody I know loves this track, rap fans or not)
3rd Touch It
4th many choices, can't decide for one

wcsoldier

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
the choices of the different singles for the Big Bang were easily the worst EVER for a mainstream album ...

--Vance--

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You can't spell Dilate without L.A.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 12:03:36 PM »
"Get You Some" should have been the next single after "Touch it". What a monster beat! I still bump the album. It was one of the best releases in 06. Fuck the sales.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 01:01:35 PM »
...Well u Live and Learn
true, but in some cases there is no 2nd chance, so Busta needs to face reality.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 01:43:48 PM »
touch it was a perfect way to kick off the album, and it did its purpose, it blew up, it was innovative and everyone done there bit on that, everyone was on that beat, people were pumped up after that but then he dropped i love my chick...a generic single...not a good idea....

He should have went with

1st single...street/club buzz joint = touch it

Single before the album drops = The dre beat that had missy on it, she came goo, busta came good, the beat was nice, it would have blown the clubs up, bitches and niggaz would have been feeling that....biggest mistake of the album was not releasing this joint, it had huge potential single wise

then he could have went with anything really ...though as dope as get you some is, its not a video/single material song...it could be the other joint when you release the single but i wouldnt expect this ever to be a single

pz

Lunatic

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 01:46:18 PM »
some of y'all actin like the album flopped

i know we expect more from busta sales wise, but didn't it move like 700K?
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

MediumL

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 02:15:48 PM »
Yer and he sold well world wide as well due to the popularity of Touch It and I Love my chick. Plus he did that song wit Pussycat dolls which helped raise his profile
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 02:57:08 PM »
Yeah, I think 'Touch It' did it's thang. The remix's and everythang included, I STILL love that shit. Real hype.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 03:56:16 PM »
Yeah, I think 'Touch It' did it's thang. The remix's and everythang included, I STILL love that shit. Real hype.

yes sir and thats why i think the missy joint should have followed, that was hella hype and then the club joint with the girl on it too and its a dre beat, it would have blown up everywhere

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 04:01:14 PM »

yes sir and thats why i think the missy joint should have followed, that was hella hype and then the club joint with the girl on it too and its a dre beat, it would have blown up everywhere

Damn, he woulda had the clubs on lock, LMAO.