Author Topic: Just Ordered 4 Hip-Hop Documentaries.. UPDATED (3 reviewed)  (Read 451 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Just Ordered 4 Hip-Hop Documentaries.. UPDATED (3 reviewed)
« on: March 26, 2008, 01:46:26 PM »
I've been really pleased with all the QD3 documentaries I've seen so far.  They seem to be down for real hip-hop.  So just today, I ordered two more of their DVD's.  I ordered...

"Letter to the President"-  It's mostly about rappers discussing politics in music and interviews

"The Freshest Kids"  - They've been doing some documentaries on hip-hop's four elements, and I think this one is about break dancing and old school hip-hop.

Also.. I got... "Freestyle"-  I don't know much about it, or the people that made it but from the reviews I thought it was worth taking a chance on.

UPDATED-  "Style Wars"- this is a documentary made in 82 I bout at the request of someone in this thread... major props to them.. you will see why in my review below.

If ya'll have seen any of these holler at me.  Peace.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 06:06:38 AM by Abdul-Infinite presents... (I)Eye-yaric »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Plague

• Lil Geezy
"Letter To The President" i definetly reccomend. Sorry I don't know about the others.

Suga Foot

Also.. I got... "Freestyle"-  I don't know much about it, or the people that made it but from the reviews I thought it was worth taking a chance on.

This One?

That's my Cousin(in-law)'s movie!  You won't be disappointed in that one!

Dubz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I own Letter to the President, highly recommend it.

Chief

i recommend "NWH - fear of a black hat"

The Watcher

army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

• Muthafuckin' Don!
"Letter to the President"-  It's mostly about rappers discussing politics in music and interviews

DOPE!!!!

"The Freshest Kids"  - They've been doing some documentaries on hip-hop's four elements,
and I think this one is about break dancing and old school hip-hop.

DOPE!!!!!!!

I highly recomend them!
I love documentary´s.

If you haven´t seen these; GET THEM ASAP!!!!!!
Style Wars (1983)

http://www.amazon.com/Style-Wars-Sam-Schacht/dp/B000A7DVZO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1206571342&sr=8-1

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
Some call it tagging, some call it writing, still others call it bombing--it's all graffiti. Whether it's art or not is another matter, but it's undeniably illegal. Tony Silver and Henry Chalfant's historic PBS documentary Style Wars tracks the rise and fall of subway graffiti in New York in the late 1970s and early 1980s. At the peak of its popularity, graffiti was as much a part of B-boy culture as rapping, scratching, and breaking. The filmmakers present a sympathetic, but well-rounded portrait of their subject through extensive interviews with taggers--notably Seen, Kase, and Dondi--art collectors, transit authorities, and even Mayor Ed Koch, who would eventually put the hammer down. Along the way, they documented the burgeoning breakdance scene, with a focus on the world-famous Rock Steady Crew. The soundtrack features selections from Grandmaster Flash, the Treacherous Three, and other tagger-approved icons of old-school hip-hop. --Kathleen C. Fennessy

Product Description
When director Tony Silver and co-producer Henry Chalfant delivered the broadcast version of their prize-winning film to PBS in 1983, the world received its first full immersion in the phenomenon that had taken over New York City. The urban landscape was physically transformed by graffiti artists who invented a new visual language to express both their individuality, and the voice of their community. In STYLE WARS, New York's ramshackle subway system is their public playground, battleground, and spectacular artistic canvas. As MC's, DJ's and B-boys rock the city with new sounds and new moves, we see street corner breakdance battles turn into performance art.

Piece by Piece (2005)

http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Lou-Butera/dp/B000IJ7A74/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

All Nation
"This feels like the west coast version of Style Wars."

Product Description
Piece By Piece is a groundbreaking film that documents San Francisco's highly controversial graffiti art movement. A story told by those who live the experience, Piece By Piece offers an intimate journey into the most intriguing and misunderstood artistic movement of modern youth culture. By detailing the last 20 years of San Francisco's graffiti, this tale offers the most candid and accurate story behind the writing on the wall in Northern California. The DVD comes with a 48 page illustrated color booklet and includes the music of DJ Q-Bert, D-Styles, People Under the Stairs, etc

I'm ordering it now!  Thanks for the info

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Just finished watching "Letter to the President" and I was VERY DISSAPOINTED.

When they talked about e mel and "The Message" or 2pac vs. C Delores in the 90's it was all good... but the closer they got to the modern era the more ridiculous it became.

Like the Ludicrous vs. Bill oriely thing, or havin way too many quotes from Saigon or puffys vote or die thing... Saigon was even complakining that the government needed to come clean up the gfraffiti in his neighborhood and I was thinkin how can he be representin hiphop talkin about cleanin up graffiti.

it sucked

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Just want to update this thread....

I watched the 2nd of the 4 hiphop documentaries I bought..
I watched "Style Wars" and it was classic!  A must have for any serious hiphop head who cares about the roots and history of hiphop.  This video was made in 1982, the year I was bron.  It's amazing because it is a documentary about graffiti but you can see how graph writin, breakdancin, and rappin were all intertwined as hiphops elements. Many of the graph writers talk about rappin or bust freestyles in the documentary and even the ones that don't you catch them using words and phrases that would be used by rappers.  Basically you get a glimpse into hiphop culture in it's purist form, before money and violence were involved when people were doin it cause they loved it and havin fun... its really a special video I know I can watch 100 times and it won't get old because it's visually spectacular and brings you back to a very special time in America's history.  I can't say enough about this video.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
you mean the dude with the blue hat that's hangin with the one armed dude?  ...dope... thanks for the info, maybe the 10 year old white blonde kid is Eminem... lol

D-e-f-

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Just Ordered 4 Hip-Hop Documentaries.. UPDATED (2 reviewed)
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 03:09:07 AM »
go get Rhyme & Reason from 1997

has Dre, Ras Kass, EPMD, Method Man, Mack 10, KRS, Caz, etc etc etc... talking about hip hop till 97 of course... I found it a lot more interesting to watch than these modern documentaries

(btw it's the first and only time I've seen Dr. Dre in a documentary [for more than 1 min])

Freestyle is a dope doc. I own that, too - some nice stuff on there!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 12:41:16 PM »

has Dre, Ras Kass, EPMD, Method Man, Mack 10, KRS, Caz, etc etc etc... talking about hip hop till 97 of course... I found it a lot more interesting to watch than these modern documentaries

(btw it's the first and only time I've seen Dr. Dre in a documentary [for more than 1 min])

Rhyme and Reason I actually saw in theaters at the end of 96 when it came out.  I live in Kansas City where they don't know anything about hip-hop, and people were actually laughing when Rza's "Here Comes The Rain" video came on before the movie.  But anyway... it is one of the best documentaries, I don't think that it is better than the Show, but it is similar.

D-e-f-

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 01:32:12 PM »

Rhyme and Reason I actually saw in theaters at the end of 96 when it came out.  I live in Kansas City where they don't know anything about hip-hop, and people were actually laughing when Rza's "Here Comes The Rain" video came on before the movie.  But anyway... it is one of the best documentaries, I don't think that it is better than the Show, but it is similar.

do you happen to know where I could d/l or buy "The Show"? I got the soundtrack but I can't find a dvd anywhere

Slikk_J

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
i recommend "NWH - fear of a black hat"

Lmao I have a copy of this on VHS.....funny if you an older hip hop head and understand the parody. "Whats the difference bewteen a 'bitch' and a 'ho'. a ho f#$@s everybody. a bitch f#$@s everybody but you"

Speaking of the docos, is there a new beef in the works? beef 4?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 12:54:35 AM »
I watched another one of the documentaries I ordered.  This was the one on freestylin... the art of freestylin.

Im a freestyler myself so I really loved this documentary, it was truly beautiful.  It was all about what freestylin meant to different artists and how they developed their craft, they had old young, east west all represented.  They went through the history of hiphop and freestylin and I felt like they really got deep into the spiritual essence of what freestylin is all about.

A must have for any freestyler or hiphop purist.  I give it 5 stars, 5 out of 5.

So the latest breakdown is....

Style Wars- 5 out of 5

Letter to the President- 2 out of 5

The Art of Freestyle- 5 out of 5

The Freshest Kids- still haven't watched it all yet