Author Topic: LA Times Apologizes For Tupac Story  (Read 64 times)

Damien J.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
LA Times Apologizes For Tupac Story
« on: March 27, 2008, 07:25:12 AM »
As previously reported, the Los Angeles Times´ investigation of the death of Tupac Shakur was possibly based largely on fabricated FBI reports. An extensive investigative piece claims that the article penned by LA Times reporter Chuck Phillips is based on forged documents.

According to Associated Press, the LA Times has issued an apology for publishing a story about the 1994 shooting of rapper Tupac Shakur, after a website questioned the authenticity of documents the paper used for the report.

"The bottom line is that the documents we relied on should not have been used," said Editor Russ Stanton in a story posted last night (March 27) on the newspaper's website. "We apologize both to our readers and to those referenced in the documents ... and in the story."

"We published this story with the sincere belief that the documents were genuine, but our good intentions are beside the point," Stanton continued.

The story by Pulitzer Prize-winner Chuck Philips sought to link rap music mogul Sean "Diddy" Combs to the assault on Shakur through two men the paper said were Combs' associates.

The Smoking Gun, a website that specializes in uncovering news from legal documents and court filings, said on Wednesday it believed Federal Bureau of Investigation documents used by the Times were forgeries.

Philips issued an apology later in the day, "In relying on documents that I now believe were fake, I failed to do my job," Philips said. "I'm sorry."

Source: www.yoraps.com
Yo! Raps - The Game Belongs To Us | www.yoraps.com