Author Topic: OFFICIAL EURO 2008 THREAD  (Read 7067 times)

HD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WCCWF Champion
Re: OFFICIAL EURO 2008 THREAD
« Reply #285 on: June 14, 2008, 12:10:06 PM »
Smegma: If not us, it will be Germany, but i'm not too worried about them after that Croatia game - i think will edge them out.

You're forgetting one thing: Germans tend to become stronger during major tournaments game after game.

yeah and other teams who were fantastic in the first round but were suddenly out when the important games came (like Argentinia in 06)  and that's the danger for Holland
In one game everything is possible, so don't rely too much on these first games.

true thats what im scared of
it can just go wrong all of a sudden in a game

Lunatic

« Reply #286 on: June 14, 2008, 12:12:02 PM »
^that's the beauty of a tournament like this, 1 bad game and u could be done (well 100% done if its not group stage still lol).
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #287 on: June 14, 2008, 12:14:31 PM »
Smegma: If not us, it will be Germany, but i'm not too worried about them after that Croatia game - i think will edge them out.

You're forgetting one thing: Germans tend to become stronger during major tournaments game after game.

yeah and other teams who were fantastic in the first round but were suddenly out when the important games came (like Argentinia in 06)  and that's the danger for Holland
In one game everything is possible, so don't rely too much on these first games.

True, but I think that Ivory Coast and Serbia & Montenegro are not quite as good as Italy and France :P

yup. But Ivory Coast could beat them both atm

Lunatic

« Reply #288 on: June 14, 2008, 12:15:09 PM »
yup. But Ivory Coast could beat them both atm
LOL both have looked bad

wcsoldier

« Reply #289 on: June 14, 2008, 12:28:33 PM »
y'all make me laugh , you're acting like both Italy and France are on the same level as Luxembourg.. y'all realize Netherlands offense is on another planet right ? Of course both teams have been dissapointed but the Dutch have been just INCREDIBLE when it comes to efficiency ...when you can bring a Robben and a V. Persie off the bench , you know it's not your regular team ... and Romania is very solid ... LOL at Ivory Coast beating Italy and France , even right now

smegma

« Reply #290 on: June 14, 2008, 12:35:55 PM »
y'all make me laugh , you're acting like both Italy and France are on the same level as Luxembourg..

Yeah, seriously. France didn't suck at all last night.

Lunatic

« Reply #291 on: June 14, 2008, 12:40:29 PM »
LOL relax last 2 posters, im pretty sure he was being sarcastic :P

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #292 on: June 14, 2008, 01:38:15 PM »
LOL at Ivory Coast beating Italy and France , even right now

I was not sarcastic- do you guys know how strong Ivory Coast is. Matter of fact, Italy and France look ridiculous now, basicially because their teams are too old or the younger pkayers are weak (or atleast they look weak to me.) and I blame both coaches for that.
Italy has an excuse because Nesta Cannavaro were their insurance for the last few years, andthey can't replace them. But wtf is this with washed-up guys like Panucci. Also, they had some bad luck against Romania.
France played ok yesterday- but besides Ribery their offence looked horrible. How can Domenech leave Trezeguet at home and take pussies like Anelka and malouda. And bring guys like Gomis instead of Nasri and Benzema. Their defence is even worse. Sagnol (who was ok yesterday), Makelele and Thuram? OK Viera is injured, he was the big leader besides Zidane, and maybe the only one who has enough balls to lead this team, but still... Domenech and Donadoni both didn't have the courage to sort out old players, and made some weird decisions before and during the tournament. We had the same thing with Völler- he also didn't make the cut...
Matter of fact Ivory Coast would probably beat their actual line-up. Imagine what guys like Toure and Drogba would do with Thuram. Ivory Coast was already strong in the last World Cup and if you saw the last Africa-Cup you would know how strong they are. Their only problem is still that they need too many shots to score.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 01:40:55 PM by Dr. Ján Ďtor »

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #293 on: June 14, 2008, 01:53:07 PM »
Portugal is also up there but they depend on Ronaldo too much.

sorry but this is pure bullshit.

Lunatic

« Reply #294 on: June 14, 2008, 02:20:17 PM »
Portugal is also up there but they depend on Ronaldo too much.

sorry but this is pure bullshit.
exactly
5 goals - 5 different goal scorers (Ronaldo, Quaresma, Deco, Pepe, Merierles)

Lunatic

« Reply #295 on: June 14, 2008, 02:50:03 PM »
btw good win for Russia - not that I actually think they have a shot against Sweden, but will make the match up more interesting.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #296 on: June 14, 2008, 02:53:39 PM »
What I meant by that if Ronaldo doesn't play= Portugal is an average team.

Lunatic

« Reply #297 on: June 14, 2008, 02:55:49 PM »
can be said for half of the greatest teams - look at Italy without Cannavaro right now.

I dunno why, but some of our best players seem to fly under the radar - Simao, Deco, Carvalho, Bosingwa, Pepe, Quaresma, Nani, Ferreira are all world class players.

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #298 on: June 14, 2008, 03:43:14 PM »
can be said for half of the greatest teams - look at Italy without Cannavaro right now.

I dunno why, but some of our best players seem to fly under the radar - Simao, Deco, Carvalho, Bosingwa, Pepe, Quaresma, Nani, Ferreira are all world class players.

yup. Ronaldo is important, but what makes them more than average is the defense. Ferreira and Carvalho are two world class defenders, and Pepe already proved his skills. Now show me a team with a better defense than that? I think the point you mentioned is exactly the difference to former Porugal teams- everything depended on Deco and Figo. Now the roster has way more depth because of young guys like Nani ,Quaresma or Moutinho who seem to have potential,  Scolari has many options for offense and defense.  Besides the goalie, the only weakness may be the lack of a pure goalgetter like van Nistelroy or Toni.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 03:45:38 PM by Dr. Ján Ďtor »

Lunatic

« Reply #299 on: June 14, 2008, 03:46:37 PM »

yup. Ronaldo is important, but what makes them more than average is the defense. Ferreira and Carvalho are two world class defenders, and Pepe already proved his skills. Now tell me who has a better defense than that? I think the point you mentioned is exactly the difference to former Porugal teams- everything depended on Deco and Figo. Now the roster has way more depth because of young guys like Nani ,Quaresma or Moutinho who seem to have potential,  Scolari has many options for offense and defense.  Besides the goalie, the only weakness may be the lack of a pure goalgetter like van Nistelroy or Toni.
Yeah our defense is great - don't forget Bosingwa, he's the most slept on but trust me when I say Bosingwa > Ferreira..he's actually been our best defender this tournament imo - no wonder Chelsea just spent all that cash on him

Oh yeah we are very deep - I forgot to mention Mountinho and Miguel Veloso hasnt even got on the field yet, wait til he does. Yeah the goalie isn't great and we have literally no striker pretty much, that's the team weakness.