Author Topic: 20 Years later...Marley Marl - In Control Vol.1  (Read 59 times)

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
20 Years later...Marley Marl - In Control Vol.1
« on: May 18, 2008, 08:06:08 AM »
Solid compilation from the legendary producer.Fuckin' everybody is familiar with the legendary Juice Crew and their timeless classic The Symphony which can be found here.Besides that track, some dope songs throught the whole album.The two Masta Ace tracks are very good, the two Craig G ones too (I personally prfer Duck Alert over droppin' science cause the beat's doper, and I can't fuckin' remember where else have I heard that sample).MC Shan's Freedom has one of the best beats on this album

What I like to emphasize on is the two Tragedy (aka Percy aka Intelligent Hoodlum aka Tragedy khadafi) tracks.Marley gave him insane beats and he fuckin' DESTROYED them.I'ma say that the beats to Live Motivator and The Rebel are the best on the album, and 2 of the best beats I've heard from 88.And Tragedy is just so ill on the mic.Juice Crew purists might hate me for saying this, but Tragedy should've replaced Craig G in the group, he was just far better.I can quote so many lines from his two songs, it ain't real.I'll qoute one tho :
The rap automatical, the rhymatical
Forget ill, I get illmatical
Now you know where probably the greatest hip-hop album got it's name from

I've also read many stories how Tragedy had to sleep in front of Marley's house at the age of 13 for him to get a shot at recording and how he got locked up shortly after the release of the album

I really don;t like the Roxanne Shante track tho.Beat is on some dope breakdancing tip tho.It really reminds me of Salt N Peppa's Push It now that I think of it.And the track I truly dislike is the Heavy D and Biz Markie collabo We Write Songs.Don't get me wrong, I like them both, especially Heavy (he does his thing here) but the beat is just plain boring, and Biz's singing here is intolerable (unlike Erase Racism for example, I can stand him there)
Overall, really solid and good album
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 08:10:06 AM by eazye »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

BIG.DADDY

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • back da fuck up before you get smacked the fuck up
Re: 20 Years later...Marley Marl - In Control Vol.1
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 12:30:39 PM »
this was a sick album back in the day. i mainly purchased it for the symphony but it has a lot of hot tracks.

jeromechickenbone

Re: 20 Years later...Marley Marl - In Control Vol.1
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 01:12:59 PM »
Fucking love the Juice Crew, Marley Marl is a genius.  They may have had the greatest roster of all time as far as true MC's go, I mean look at this list:

Big Daddy Kane
Biz Markie
Kool G Rap
Masta Ace
MC Shan
Craig G
Roxanne Shante
Tragedy Khadafi (damn shame we didn't hear more from him after In Control, I think he got locked up or some shit)

Every MC on that list could spit.

In Control should be in everybody's Hip Hop collection.  Props for posting this.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 01:16:53 PM by Jrome bitch, who the fuck was it suppose to be »