Author Topic: Here we go again. Tricky blames Hip Hop for the Gun and Knife Crime in the UK  (Read 322 times)

KURUPTION-81

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91248-1317132,00.html

Music star Tricky has hit out at hip hop for fuelling gun and knife crime, saying some parts of the UK are now worse than the once notorious Bronx area of New York.

Tricky: worried by violenceThe Mercury Prize-nominated trip hop musician and singer, who is based in Bristol, told Uncut magazine: "I love hip hop.

"But it has to take some responsibility for the gun culture we've got over here. We're getting super-violent.

"You can walk around the Bronx for days on end and nobody bothers you.

"In England, you can say the wrong thing in a pub and, before you know it, you've got a bottle over your head or a bullet in your brain. English people have got quicker tempers."

The interview with Tricky, real name Adrian Thaws, was published as the family of Rob Knox, the latest teenage victim of gun or knife crime, made an emotional statement about his life.

In the interview, the 40-year-old musician also blames modern-day wardrobes for today's violence.

The musician, singer and producer said: "What have they got to get them through hard times? We had punk rock and ska and bands that made you feel you could do anything.

"We were into clothes in a big way. Anything to take our minds off the stress.

"They don't have to think about getting dressed. They get the baseball cap and trainers on, that's all it is.

"But they've got nothing to take the pressure off. That's maybe why they're more violent than we were. That and the fact they have access to serious artillery.

"We used to throw stones at each other. Now they shoot bullets at each other. Hip-hop has got a lot to do with that."

Tricky, whose album Maxinquaye was named the 36th Greatest British Album Ever by Q Magazine, added: "I'm a nice, peaceful guy but I wouldn't stop to help (US President) Bush, no way. I'd like to torture him actually.

"I thought I could never hate anyone more than the teachers I had at school. But I hate Bush much more."

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Paul

what a faggot
funkyfreshintheflesh

MediumL

lol at that faggot. 'We used to get dressed for punk and ska and put on make up and look gay like boy george'. GFOH wit that bs.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:54:40 AM by MediumL »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

da_notorious_mack

LOL this just proves how out of touch the people they get to speak on these issues are....i've said it before and i'll say it again...how can hip-hop be to blame when 80% of british youths dont listen to it as their first genre of music??...i went to a hip-hop gig in brixton..no problems what so ever...as the crowd was for the most part in their mid 20's...go to a sidewinder/grime/d n b event anywhere in the country and can gurantee theyll be trouble...even so you cant blame music...because if there wasnt stabbings...shooting etc the emcee speaking on it would sound like a fraud and recieve zero respect...the fact of the matter is the government and media has alienated this generation and dosent like the fact grime etc is an outlet for the other side of the story....they blame music...i blame the media for creating this mentality where every1 wearing a hoodie is carrying a weapon...does this not make more ppl do so "for protection??"...id also blame a failing school system that will teach you how moses split the red sea and pythagoras therom but fails to give youngsters a firm understanding of interest rates,mortgages etc...how can ppl aspire to something they dont properly understand??

its like when they blame parents...but who stopped parents being able to discipline their children??

Al Bundy

who the fuck is tricky?

da_notorious_mack

who the fuck is tricky?

obvsiously someone who failed in a hip hop career

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
i thought this was about the detroit rapper... perplexing

VxTheGeneral

• 'G'
  • Picture Of Me, At Night
might as well blame hip hop for the holocaust...

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
might as well blame hip hop for the holocaust...

wait a minute, are you saying that hip hip in fact ISN'T responsible for the holocaust?

everlast1986

who the fuck is tricky?

Some british trip hop artist from the 90's. He also has a album produced by DJ Muggs which is horrible.

Bedford Iz Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • O.Gz Movements.
I could blame the emo society of england for the rise of Knife awareness...

And what about the sucides/self injury reports that happen? How comes we never hear this crap in the news??  :laugh:

We've seen countless depressed looking individuals roaming the streets of england dressed in all black looking like their mother neglected them from the age of 3 onwards, why is nothing made weary about this? It kinda dampens the mood when you walk on a river side to see 6+ darkly themed dressed people trying to pretend they can skate or talking to an extremely ugly bitch rejected by society.

Fact is, London is London, it's rough out there. It's easy to gain access to a knife, it makes people feel protected. I wish we went back to the days of good ol' one on one no weapons fists and kicks fight out until your tired and you live to see another day.

Boy Better Know I roll deep with the Nastiest crew, i'm P-Money but i'm O.Gz too"

Australian Bastard

who the fuck is tricky?

Some british trip hop artist from the 90's. He also has a album produced by DJ Muggs which is horrible.

REally!? a horrible Muggs album....such a thing is possible!!?

i thought this was about the detroit rapper... perplexing
nah I think you thinking of 'Trick Trick'... pooey hip hop i dare say.

Intriago33

Fact is, London is London, it's rough out there. It's easy to gain access to a knife, it makes people feel protected. I wish we went back to the days of good ol' one on one no weapons fists and kicks fight out until your tired and you live to see another day.

Exactly, people who carry knifes are insecure, it's fucking pathetic. Duke it out, no need to stick a blade in someone. Our country is fucked up right about now.

MY FIRST LOVE WAS HIP HOP

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Ive been living in Newcastle, England since Januray, and when it comes to violence, its pretty tame. People will ask me if i want to fight and if I tell them no, they're just like " ok cheers anyway man "

Oh, and gangsta rap made me do it !

da_notorious_mack

Exactly, people who carry knifes are insecure, it's fucking pathetic. Duke it out, no need to stick a blade in someone. Our country is fucked up right about now.

word...more time its over nothing as well..heard yestaday a 12 and 13yr old are being charged with murder..they havent lived long enough to have a gd reason to kill someone....they should still be tradin fuckin pokemon cards

fuck blades...i just roll with the CS and thats only if i have weight on me