Author Topic: West Coast Rappers going out of their way to let people know they from the west  (Read 483 times)

E-Class

• 'G'
Why is it that a lot of West coast rappers go out of their way to let people know they are from the west coast?
Moreover, why do we get into this thing about how violent our coast is and wear it as a badge of honor. Why are we so quick to say everybody is taking our style trying to be crips and bloods, like it's something to be proud of.
Number One, the west coast really ain't all that bad. Yeah, I guess days do get darker when you walking through an enemy hood with the wrong colors on. These are some of the things that makes west coast rap wack to me. West Coast rap has become a cliche. The music community doesn't really respect us and I don't blame em. Some will tell you that it's the beef between artists, but that's bullshit, we keep putting out the same song. Niggas ain't buying it no more. The gangbanging don't hold no more weight when snoop gotta reality show, spending time with the kids and really coming off like a square dad (and its nothing wrong with that). Ice Cube is doing movies and his whole steez is reflecting something that is a far cry from what one would say is authentically street. These are the legends.
We got talented artists that make themselves wacker by pigeon-holing themselves. Yeah, the south does this to an extent too, but west coast artist, got hand signs, and have to remind the listener every 3 bars what coast they from. West Coast rap is slowly becoming a parody of itself.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 05:17:33 PM by fabianbonaparte »

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
Gotta Admit, you have a point! :-\ :-\

But remember these are Artist that are in the main picture right now. There are some of the less known rappers that hardly follow that rhyme pattern,to the extent that you would not think they were from WestCoast, or SoCal to be exact...

I think you need to narrow it down to SoCal, cuz as far as i know the Bay  have their own style which differs incredibly from SoCal

Plus let's not forget, Younger rapper Fans, want to see SoCal rappers talk more about their Street Cred, i.e Gang Banging more than hear anything else..To Them that Rapper is Fake or A Bubble Gum Rapper' ::) ::)
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

kuruptDPG

i feel wat u saying homie.

anothr thing though is they giv shoutouts that they represent from the west but most of ther material or major single is eithr produced by east or south producer. eg game, he seriously can help the west but not they way hes doin it. He mite as well say hes from new york really. His new album got production & guest appearances are mainly from east & south & thats why i dont consider him a westcoast artist.

D~Nice

Nice thread. We really need west coast artists not about the gangs and banging and violence ( and they are out there) to get a serious push from labels. Bishop Lamont is looking like the best bet at this point to do that and be successful. But I feel what you saying fab. The thing I don't like is that there is alot of dope artists that do not live that lifestyle and are just dope artists and they do not get a 2nd look. I hate that shit.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!

anothr thing though is they giv shoutouts that they represent from the west but most of ther material or major single is eithr produced by east or south producer.
^Not to derail this, But I have to cosign with that Point!

It sounds weird when a Westcoast rapper is Repping His Turf/Street while flowing on a Dirty south Beat/Non-WestCoast Beat!
IMO i just don't see it as fully Repping the West in that Regard. Others may disagree,but i feel arguably that beat should be one made by One of Your,so the Reppin and the Locality of the Producer go hand in hand.. But that's just me..

**BACK TO DISCUSSION** ;)

The thing I don't like is that there is alot of dope artists that do not live that lifestyle and are just dope artists and they do not get a 2nd look. I hate that shit.
Ain't That The Truth! :-\

D~Nice

That was one thing I miss about music from the west in the 90's. A group like Pharcyde, Alkaholiks, Heiro, Casual, Blood Of Abraham, Funkdoobiest, Cypress (to a certain extent with some of their content), etc were successful along with the gangsta rap that was dropping. Now if people here a dope Cali mc that has lyrics, that are not about gangs, they automatically say he or she ain't from here either.

Black Gloves

That nigga Kurupt4Life is stupid as fuck.

Like Glasses Malone said, WTF so just becuase you shout out the place youre from
you gotta have a Westcoast beat? Get the fuck outta here.

That Kurup4Life really need to see someone with his UK living ass.

THEY ARE FROM THE WESTCOAST, HENCE WHY THEY SHOUTING IT OUT.

URE TELLIN ME JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE SHOUTING OUT THE PLACE THEY'RE FROM ALL THE TIME, THEY CANT HAVE SOUTH/EASTCOAST BEATS AS MANY TIMES AS THEY WANT?

This nigga dumb as fuck.

They pick the beat THEY LIKE, The music THEY feel is good, The beat THEY feel they could flow good on, not some internet nigga looking for a new Kurupt verse ever day.

People like Kurupt4Life is the reason why Westcoast rappers stay rappin like they in the 90s. Just listen to Doctors Advocate, Game never rapped like that before because niggas was complaining
about how he from the West but his flow sounds East. Pitty ass shit like that.

Fuck out my face.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 07:19:14 PM by Black Gloves »

h2k4

i feel wat u saying homie.

anothr thing though is they giv shoutouts that they represent from the west but most of ther material or major single is eithr produced by east or south producer. eg game, he seriously can help the west but not they way hes doin it. He mite as well say hes from new york really. His new album got production & guest appearances are mainly from east & south & thats why i dont consider him a westcoast artist.

I disagree with this.  Game has helped spawn plenty of careers on the West.  He's helped Lil E, Jay Rock, K-Dot, Ya Boy, Clyde Carson, Juice, G. Malone, Topic, Eastwood, etc...  All of these artists have received more attention and fans just by being on Game's mixtapes.  Game's flow is a little more grimey than your average Westcoast artist so his flow naturally goes better over beats from the East.  That doesn't make him any less of a Westcoast artist.  He can still rip a Westcoast beat as well.

OG Hack Wilson

its kinda lame

the east coast is the better coast afterall
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Like Glasses Malone said, WTF so just becuase you shout out the place youre from

This nigga dumb as fuck.
Fuck out my face.
Messi aka '1Mic','Nigga Witta Attitude'....Different name, but same trash..
You Dissing Kurupt4life, cuz he is from the Uk??
but aren't you residing SOMEHWERE IN EUROPE???

They pick the beat THEY LIKE, The music THEY feel is good, The beat THEY feel they could flow good on,.THEY ARE FROM THE WESTCOAST, HENCE WHY THEY SHOUTING IT OUT.

URE TELLIN ME JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE SHOUTING OUT THE PLACE THEY'RE FROM ALL THE TIME, THEY CANT HAVE SOUTH/EASTCOAST BEATS AS MANY TIMES AS THEY WANT?

Well Arguably that is on them. But seriously why not repp the WestCoast while flowing on a westcoast Beat, it would make more Sense IMO!
 But if it's done on a dirty South Beat and it's dope, then it's dope.But I'd prefer, especially for that subject matter,for the artist to flow on a westcoast beat!

People like Kurupt4Life is the reason why Westcoast rappers stay rappin like they in the 90s. Just listen to Doctors Advocate, Game never rapped like that before because niggas was complaining
C'mon Messi you can do better than that!

kuruptDPG

sorry 4 changing the subject dogg. I was harsh saying game isnt a westcoast artist. see wen it comes 2 rap fans who dont kno anythn at all about politics etc, really the guys who are not on forums & jus listen 2 music mainly singles, wen they hear a game ft. Lil wayne trak, they aint gonna say why isnt game holla at a westcoast artist on this trak, ther gona think this is a dope trak, they'l say the same thing 4 common, raekwon, ludacris etc. (no disrespect 2 them at all).

game is easily the best on the west cuz hes well known, he does go wit the westcoast on mixtapes but ther not heard that well as albums are. Sum1 said here hes helped the young westcoasts eg gmalone, jay rock etc, yh he has on mixapes though, not albums. If game had malone on 1 of his singles, he'd be helping malone get recognition, making sum1 say "whos that dude wit game?"

Black Gloves

This nigga dumb as fuck.
Fuck out my face.

They pick the beat THEY LIKE, The music THEY feel is good, The beat THEY feel they could flow good on,.THEY ARE FROM THE WESTCOAST, HENCE WHY THEY SHOUTING IT OUT.

Well Arguably that is on them. But seriously why not repp the WestCoast while flowing on a westcoast Beat, it would make more Sense IMO!
 But if it's done on a dirty South Beat and it's dope, then it's dope.But I'd prefer, especially for that subject matter,for the artist to flow on a westcoast beat!

I change names how many times i want why do u care and they keep banning me cuz muthafuckas stay snitching thats why dumb ass

and no im not from Europe but i am there currently but that still doesnt mean i live here

The point i was saying was, how can he talk about whats westcoast IF HE AINT FROM THE WEST??

This dude was saying that how come they shout out westcoast this, westcoast that and then have south beats

wtf, what kinda shit is that? So cuz they yellin out the place they are from, they cant have how many eastcoast/south beats as they want?

That was the point dumb ass and if you read it through again, you would know see that.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!

This nigga dumb as fuck.
Fuck out my face.

I change names how many times i want why do u care and they keep banning me cuz muthafuckas stay snitching thats why dumb ass and no im not from Europe but i am there currently but that still doesnt mean i live here
???^^
Why You change your name is trivial to me, i could careless!
Why You Keep getting Banned, is soemthing you need to look into!

The point i was saying was, how can he talk about whats westcoast IF HE AINT FROM THE WEST??

This dude was saying that how come they shout out westcoast this, westcoast that and then have south beats

wtf, what kinda shit is that? So cuz they yellin out the place they are from, they cant have how many eastcoast/south beats as they want?

That was the point dumb ass and if you read it through again, you would know see that.

But That Aside, as i have explained in my post, it would go well if a westcoast Rapper hooked up with a westcoast Producer, to rep his Turf. I feel the chemistry is more evident there than on a Dirty South Beat!
That's not to say he said artist can rhyme over a non-westcoast beat, but if he is reppin the West Coast, arguably that has to be on a WestCoast Beat!  Why Rep where you are from on a Non-WestCoast Beat?? Rather use those beats to reach out to the Other Coast.

E-Class

• 'G'
Ultimately, I was just thinking that we go way out of our way to prove how west coast we are, that the variety of our music suffers from being monotonous. we use the same beat, same rhyme form, etc. We have this thing of where if a west coast artist is too lyrical, we'll label him as trying to be east coast. West Coast music has sort of a reggae thing going on. If you look at a producer like DRE, he can keep his signature sound but still venture out with the variety of his beats, just compare the shit he did for eminem, with Phone tap, with the shit he did on both chronics. In no way am i saying don't have pride for your coast, but when you beat us over the head with it, it becomes something cliche, especially when it's repeating the same topic we been on for the last 15 years. you can only smoke so much weed, drink so much malt liquor and set trip to a certain extent. I mean we going up against the artistry of Kanye's, Common's, Jay-Z's, not to mention a number of other artists who are pushing the envelope, and we still trying to prove how hard we are, still trying to etch an identity of ourselves that cats are starting to see through. I see it as focusing more on the the image than the craft. It's like we got the ill beret on, a large canvass, dope ass paintbrushes with all the colors in the spectrum....but we can't draw worth a shit. The symmetry's off and we been painting the same picture for years.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
^
are starting to see through. I see it as focusing more on the the image than the craft. It's like we got the ill beret on, a large canvass, dope ass paintbrushes with all the colors in the spectrum....but we can't draw worth a shit. The symmetry's off and we been painting the same picture for years.

Could it be, that 'Image' is what they have more so than anything else, hence the reason to Paint the same picture, but from a different angle??

A Little Experimentation will not go amiss! But will the fans like that???
I sure would like to hear more of that Stuff.